Do not waste your money on acerbis handguards!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Do not waste your money on acerbis handguards!

Do not waste your money on acerbis handguards!

The bottom line:

These ($75 - $80)

31liCEh8D9L._SX425_.jpg

Are the same as THESE ($28)

s-l1600.jpg

Same EXACT hardware, weight and materials. Both made in China. Both stamped/numbered in the same manner. My ebay no-name set came today and although I'm very happy with them, I'm none-too-pleased about the fact that I paid so much more in the past for same HGs, simply because they have the letters A-C-E-R-B-I-S on the front.

I've purchased 2 sets of the Acerbis rally pro x-strong handguards over the past few years and now see that I just wasted about $100 in the process of doing so.

So... If you're in the market for handguards, save yourself $50 (unless the word "Acerbis" really means that much to you).
    Peterb, Dryden-Tdub, Ken and 5 others like this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    That means the Acerbis ones have the same crappy bar end screws?
    Had to slot one of them to get it tight.

Glad you posted this. I was going to change them out because of the crappy hardware.

Thank you.
    littletommy likes this.

Yes. Everything is the same. I always thought that the Acerbis HGs were WAAAAAY overpriced. I did not find their hardware easy to work with either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I will keep buying the Tusk I think!
    2002 TW200
    1998 DR350
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

No those are not the exact same hand guards as genuine Ascerbis. A very good clone. Acerbis hardware comes with spacers for two sizes of bars and the bracket is curved so the cables or levers go on top or bottom. The brackets are also anodized. If these clones hold up and the guard bar isn't cast aluminum, as a lot of these cheap handguards have, which can crack when dropped then these are a good deal. And you are right Aserbis handguards are pricey. So far my wife has stress tested hers a number of times and they are holding up great.

TheJRM have you been using these chinese HG's and have you dropped your bike? How do you know they are as strong as genuine Ascerbis?
    Last edited by Tweaker; 03-17-2017 at 02:04 PM.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, weld on foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I had the aluminum crack on a set of cheap $28 clones after only one tip-over. Granted , the bike did land on unyielding Moab sandstone. Mounting hardware was fairly poor also.
    I threw those away and purchased D-flex handguards at twice the price but likely many times the durability. They are getting scuffed up from rough use but surviving.
    My second bike came with an all plastic set of clones of the clones. One broke when the bike fell over in the garage. Pure plastic with no metal reinforcement. They shall be replaced.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    No those are not the exact same hand guards as genuine Ascerbis. A very good clone. Acerbis hardware comes with spacers for two sizes of bars and the bracket is curved so the cables or levers go on top or bottom. The brackets are also anodized. If these clones hold up and the guard bar isn't cast aluminum, as a lot of these cheap handguards have, which can crack when dropped then these are a good deal. And you are right Aserbis handguards are pricey. So far my wife has stress tested hers a number of times and they are holding up great.

TheJRM have you been using these chinese HG's and have you dropped your bike? How do you know they are as strong as genuine Ascerbis?
    You are right. I do not *know* for certain that they are as strong, but I'll tell you, they look, feel and weigh (as measured on my hanging scale) exactly the same. For $28, I'll take my chances this time around.

Mounting was no easier with the "genuine" guards, although I do agree that the mounting hardware, in particular the spacers, seemed to be of higher quality. I cannot see any difference in the 2 versions outside of that though (granted, the bike has not been dropped... yet). I will report back in with results.

Regardless, I wouldn't spend $75 - $78 on the Acerbis X-Strongs again. Seems like there are far better options available for the money.

p.s. In my book, just about anything that comes out of China is prone to be re-branded by multiple manufacturers or sold by generic/no-name brands. There are SO many products that fall into this category. Given that we're talking about a bit of plastic and Aluminum, that comes out of China, I see no reason why the handguard itself (perhaps not the mounting hardware) wouldn't be the same. Once again though, the proof is in the pudding. I have no plans on crashing, but I'll report back in with results if and when I do!
    Last edited by TheJRM; 03-17-2017 at 06:36 PM.

I like to hear about deals as much as anybody but I also think twice when I see such a click-bait subject line and then read a dramatic post about saving a few dollars on an item of questionable quality and blatant advice to not buy a known brand name who does the R & D for the Chinese rip off artists.

I rode with a guy who used hand guards that didn't hold up and crushed his hand between the bars and the guard when he came in contact with a tree.
    Smitty Blackstone and WERA689 like this.

Say what you will, but I am willing to bet they are the exact same guards. And I'm not the only one out there who has made the same observations...

ACERBIS Rally Pro Handguards vs. EBay Handguards review

Regardless, the next set I purchase (and spend good money on) will be American made.

I like a good deal too. So lets us know how they do down the road.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, weld on foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links