Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By LuvNot
  • 1 Post By scotti158
  • 2 Post By Rockit
  • 2 Post By Smitty Blackstone
  • 1 Post By littletommy

Thread: Bilt Techno Bluetooth Adventure Helmet

Bilt Techno Bluetooth Adventure Helmet

Since starting this whole dual sport experience, I wanted to buy decent gear, but remain budget conscious. Unfortunately, I also have zero directional sense, so I liked the idea of having a Bluetooth enabled helmet that would allow me to hear the directions from my phone GPS service. Luckily there is a Cycle Gear dealer near me that seemed to have the answer: the Bilt Techno Bluetooth Adventure Helmet

The Good
    This helmet is well made, and packed with features. It has a drop-down sun visor, regular clear shield that can be raised to allow regular goggles to be worn too, removable peak, and integrated Bluetooth system. Not bad for a sub $200 price tag!

As a bonus, the Bluetooth system is easy to charge, simple to use, and according to my mother, has great sound quality when I answer the phone on the road.
    20170418_162937_resized.jpg 20170418_162949_resized.jpg 20170418_163002_resized.jpg 20170418_163107_resized.jpg

The Bad
    While Mom may be able to hear me clearly with little to no wind noise, the speakers aren't the best quality. The maximum volume is relatively low - good for preventing hearing damage, but bad for folks with tonal deafness. Since I also ride with earplugs to block out the relatively loud ambient road and wind noise, it makes the sound even more muffled. That being said, though, it is good enough to listen to music and the GPS instructions.

Be careful, though. The Bluetooth must be actively connected to your GPS or will miss the first part of the broadcast instructions. I mean "actively" connected in that it must be receiving a message (music) constantly. For example, without music playing in the background, instructions to, "Turn right at George St" will only pick up, "...at George St", leaving you to hope you can see your phone screen in the sun.

The Ugly
    The thing that keeps me from wearing this helmet more often, however, is the weight. At a few ounces shy of 4 pounds, this helmet damn heavy! Add to that the way the wind catches it at every chance, it makes my neck ache after an hour of riding. Part of this buffeting issue is because of the way the foam padding sits. Super tight at the neck and cheeks, it's difficult to put on at first. But once it's on my head, the foam around the main part of the helmet is almost too loose - even for my XS head!

Conclusion
    Would I recommend this to others? Eh, not really sure. I like the helmet. It's packed full of great features. But the damn thing is just so heavy! Maybe, if you have a weight-lifter's neck muscles, this wouldn't be an issue. But for me, it's a problem. I like riding for hours. That's difficult to do when the weight of your gear gives you a headache.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Thanks for another great write up.
    littletommy likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I've had good luck with these with regard to talking to buddies I'm riding with:

https://www.amazon.com/Veetop-Resist...ycle+bluetooth

I haven't used them to listen to music or talk on the phone though.
    littletommy and LuvNot like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I have the same helmet without the Bluetooth. XL

It is the helmet I use when offroad, and is kept at one of the the remote garages in case I need to take something for a ride while there. There is a full compliment of riding gear, as well.

Your assessment is spot on as usual.

However, the helmet padding will break in after a few rides and may get better for you. As to the weight... I don't even notice it. And as it is my offroad helmet, I don't notice the wind issue.

Not being a big fan of full face helmets, (I prefer modular) this one fits well, goes on and comes off well, has good visibility, and doesn't give me claustrophobia like other full face helmets.

I've had other Bilt helmets with their Bluetooth system. You are spot on about the speaker quality and volume level. Try raising the volume of the gps or phone directly and you may get some more out of the BT system. Just had that issue with my new Sena 10U in my Shoei Neotec.
    Last edited by Smitty Blackstone; 04-19-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    littletommy and LuvNot like this.

Nice review LuvNot!!
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Sponosred Links