flat tires on the trail
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: flat tires on the trail

flat tires on the trail

took my xr400 out for a good 50 mile spin yesterday... got a new mt21 (F) and the trusty rear mt21... got me thinking about flat tires and the tw200... my wife has a tw200 with the stock rear and a shinko 241 front... since this bike get ridden pretty mildly i was wondering the chances of getting a flat... i can hammer on my xr400 and if the tire pressures are good then i rarely get a flat tire... prolly gonna jinx myself now ...

so how many of you folks have had a flat on the trail ?? was it the front or the rear ?? i m thinking the chances of a pinch flat on the tw is pretty low... more likely to pick up a nail or something sharp ??

cheers

Ran over a piece of a barb wire fence on the ground first off-road trip; front tire deflated almost immediately. Managed to ride 1 -1/2 mile back to my trailer but did not think I would be able to salvage the tube so bought a new one. The tube had multiple punctures and was pinched by the rim but I patched the holes and added some Slime. It's it hanging in my shop for a back up but has been holding 25 psi for a couple of months now.

A few days ago managed to pick up a 1" button cap (roof underlayment nail with an attached plastic washer) in my own driveway, again the front tire. Had about 1/3 of a can of Fix-A-Flat with the flexible hose I carry on my mountain bike and put it in but it did not hold air. Left it overnight with the puncture at 6 o'clock and next morning and ever since has been holding.

Can't say which product is better but I now carry a can of Fix-A-Flat on the TW now.

M C

In the 9 years I've owned my TW, no flats on the trail. But I've practiced at home breaking the bead and fixing flat just in case I have too. I carry tools and patches just in case. Also, scroll down to the bottom of this page and have a look at the "similar threads". Lots of info. Ride-On is a popular alternative to slime for both tire flat prevention and balancing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

yeah M C toyer, that s what i expected mostly... trail junk... cheers

thanks admiral... didn t see that stuff at the bottom... very handy..

In 18,000 + miles - 1/5 of which is probably dirt, I've only had 1 flat. A nail. Even as I rode over this piece of old carpet (going to fast to avoid it) I thought, darn, there's probably a nail in there. Sure enough, got the rear tire. I was down to about a quarter of an inch tread left and I doubt it would have punctured the tube if it was a fresher tire.

I ended up limping it back to my house (about 15 miles) as the rear tire slowly deflated. Rim was fine, I'm sure the tube was junk. 35 bucks for a new one was cheap insurance.

I will say, I've really lucked out though. Lots of nails around old buildings and ghost towns that I've ended up riding/parking right on ----wayyyy out in the middle of know where!

Need to buy RideOn!
    littletommy likes this.

Here in Haiti it seems that the road is the most popular place to throw old nails. I walked from town to my house (1km) looking for nails, and had about 10 by the time I got home. As a result of that, my rear tube has about 12 patches on it from the last 2 years. I've never had a flat front.
    Zack

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Here in Haiti it seems that the road is the most popular place to throw old nails.

hahhahahaaa... that s awesome... not real smart !!

i ve been reading through a few similar threads and reckon i might drop some $$ for 3 bottles of ride-on...

Usually ride over the nail with the front tire kicking it into position to stab the rear. Been about 40,000 miles since the last flat. A 6" gutter spike in the rear on the XL500S. Rim lock got me 7 miles back to the house.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Quote Originally Posted by OurDee View Post
    Usually ride over the nail with the front tire kicking it into position to stab the rear. Been about 40,000 miles since the last flat. A 6" gutter spike in the rear on the XL500S. Rim lock got me 7 miles back to the house.
    I have had 4 while riding the trans America trail. All on the rear. Not much fun to fix in the middle of no where.

I didn't see it but heard about it -- this last Cent. Calif. Ride one of the non TW riders got a flat on the front tire. He zip tied the front tire to the rim and rode back to camp. I talked to him briefly back at camp after he fixed the flat and he said the bike felt very stable with the zip tied tire. He advised narrow zip ties that fit between the knobs. Zip ties above the knobs would wear out quickly and break and the bike would become wobbly.

I hope he adds to my explanation about what he did and how many zip ties it takes. If it worked as well as he said it worked along with everything else we do to prevent flats maybe carrying some plastic zip ties large enough to go around a tire should be in everyone's tool kit.
    johjon, Fred, admiral and 3 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links