TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Boot Recommendations

3K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  qwerty 
#1 ·
I read on this forum recently about a member who smashed up his ankle pretty good so he recommended we all look into wearing boots that offer ankle protection. Most of my riding is on tar and dirt roads. I no longer ride enduros and go on organized trail rides, but I would like to know what a good boot is, without going over the top. So the question is: do you wear boots and what brand/model. Pix welcom.

Thanks,

Will

#2 ·
#4 ·
Lots of options out there. I have a tall pair of Sidi Vertibra 2 Gortex, medium height Diadora's and short pair of TCX Jupiter 2 Evo. They are all waterproof. I was just looking on Revzilla last night for another pair. I'm replacing the Diadora pair that are just plain worn out.

Thats a smoking deal on those TCX Dune's for $135 shipped, but I want waterproof membrane and mid height.

I'm really liking these right now TCX X-Move WP Boots - RevZilla
I do like the zipper better on my Diadora. Similar to these TCX X-Ride WP Boots - RevZilla

For a tall pair, I will get these next SIDI Adventure Rain Boots - RevZilla Almost nothing worse than getting smacked in the shin by a stick!

#6 ·
Sidi Canyons... water proof Gortex, lug sole and reasonably good shin and ankle protection. They break-in easy and walk well and I would even say hike-able. I have about 30,000km on a pair... mixed riding in all types of terrain. I would call them a very good compromise between full-on MX boots and street boots.

#8 ·
#10 ·
For street riding or non technical dirt roads I wear leather work boots. When I may be challenged on single tracks etc I have a pair of Fox Comp 5s. I like the protection of the Fox boots but had to adjust the shift lever a bit due to the toe of the boot not fitting under easily. The MX boots have definitely protected me from stumps and rocks. I find that at the end of a day of riding I may be less aware of the dangers and the boots have worked well.

#11 ·
Reactions: Skyking
#12 ·
I have a pair of red leather Gaerne Oiled Balance boots and A* SMX-5 boots. The suede, red leather on my Gaernes are so sexy and i get curious looks when i go to a store with them. The suede leather proved not so tough after a slow lowside as the toe part is worn off to the point it might only take a couple of more lowsides IMO. I do like the sizing adjustability of my Gaerne offroad boots for when i switch between knee pad inserts and knee braces. My A* SMX-5 pair does not have the grooved sole of my Gaerne so not a good choice in slippery conditions but i like the replaceable plastic sliders on the toes for when i lowside a bunch of times. The zipper binds up against my ankle depending on how i have my feet on the pegs but at least it's covered by a flap of velcro'd leather where my Gaerne's buckles are exposed and could shear off in a big crash. I've tried a pair of FOX moto-x boots before. While extremely protective to the point i could not roll my ankle, the leather was so thick that it required so much effort just to stretch your feet. I'm currently looking for a boot with grooved sole, easy walkability but thick padding on the sides for my ankles as my TW has landed on my ankle too many times.

#14 ·
Yeah, I also like those Fly Maverik Adventure ATV Shorties. I've been doing my homework like I do for any important item. But, when I'm ready to buy new boots, it will all depend on the amount of funds on hand at that time. Since I've broken both ankles back in my racing days, with plates and screws in each (since removed), I want as much protection as I can get, just like a good helmet. That being said, I will most likely get a good quality boot. BTW, the Fly Maverik Adventure ATV boots are 99% plastic and synthetic/fake leather. The ONLY Real leather on them, is that small patch on the top inner side of boot (tan&black color) which they call a heat sheild. Anyway, here are the "cheap $$" boots I like so far.

Fly Maverik Adventure ATV Shorties Lug Sole $98 shipped

MSR VX-1 ATV Lug Sole $107 shipped

THOR BLITZ ATV Lug Sole $129 shipped

Now, I much prefer a good quality leather boot, so if my budget allows, it will be one of these. But thinking about it, in the long run are cheaper than the above because these will out last me, and will never have to buy another boot again. Well, that's if the ER Dr's don't cut the boots off my leg if I break one again. But my fat ass don't plan on jumping triples anymore.

Gaerne Balance Oiled ATV Lug Sole $269 shipped

Forma Adventure Molded Lug Sole $299 shipped

Forma Boulder Lug Sole $325 shipped

The only thing about the Forma Adventure is the injection molded sole. I don't know how well they'll hold up since they are just glued on, unlike all the other's that are glued and stitched which can be repaired IF needed. Unlikely though.
BTW, all of the oiled full grain brown leather Gaerne and Forma boots, also come in black. I just like the brown better. After a hot coat of

Neatsfoot oil, then Sno-Seal is rubbed in, they turn to a dark chocolate color.

#15 ·
Yeah, I also like those Fly Maverik Adventure ATV Shorties. I've been doing my homework like I do for any important item. But, when I'm ready to buy new boots, it will all depend on the amount of funds on hand at that time. Since I've broken both ankles back in my racing days, with plates and screws in each (since removed), I want as much protection as I can get, just like a good helmet. That being said, I will most likely get a good quality boot. BTW, the Fly Maverik Adventure ATV boots are 99% plastic and synthetic/fake leather. The ONLY Real leather on them, is that small patch on the top inner side of boot (tan&black color) which they call a heat sheild. Anyway, here are the "cheap $$" boots I like so far.

Fly Maverik Adventure ATV Shorties Lug Sole $98 shipped

I've been wear these for a couple years now with good results. Protected my feet from lots of rock encounters. Also had my foot/ankle/leg twisted back once and they protected me that time too.

#16 · (Edited)
Footwear Shoe Boot Durango boot Motorcycle boot
These are what I use. The Redwings for off-road, and the Sidi's for street, and lite off-road. Yes, I'm old school. The Redwings are heavily water resistant, and the tongue is gusseted to the top. The Sidi's are also water resistant, but are more for the comfort, protection, and ease of doffing, and donning; along with being lightweight. I like to be able to flex my foot, and I like being able to get my toe under the shift lever.

#19 ·
Boots are like helmets--choose your level of protection, then fit is everything.

MX boots with smooth soles are great for bouncing off berms, not so great when pulling stuck KLRs and KTMs out of deep mud.

ATV boots have all the protection of MX boots and traction soles--a good choice for Tdubbing in technical terrain.

Adventure boots are a new style on the market, with significant protection both on and off road and usually easier to walk in than MX or ATV boots, judging from watching the other riders at breaks.

Street boots have no place offroad.

All that said, I wear waterproof, breathable work boots with safety toes, reinforced arches, side zippers, traction soles, and leather uppers, then add soccer shin guards for offroading. I've never been able to find a pair of motorcycle boots of any type that fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.