New TW owner (for the wifey!) - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New TW owner (for the wifey!)

Oh boy, did you really have to show me that?....LOL Hey, if you ever make triples for the TW for bigger tubes, PLEASE let me know. I'd love to improve my forks. Maybe with longer, thicker legs and lower sliders. Better yet, reversed/upside down modern setup.... I already know what to do for the rear.

Anyway, yeah, I'm on the short side, 5'8". But while standing on pegs, I was just a tad hunched over, which the 15mm Tusk's fixed. Ideally, the bars being forward, up in line with the fork tubes is best, but not for my short arms. I'm not racing anymore, so not needed...lol For enduro style riding, single trak through the trees at speed, I like narrow bars, but this bend has to go. Suzuki bend is more straight with much less back sweep. I felt my wrists getting sore, but have yet to really ride this bike like I want. I've only had it less than 2 months.... Sounds like you know how to set your bikes up for you and the wife. That's really cool she's starting to ride with you. My wife is my best friend, and we do everything together. But when it comes to riding, she's on the back. In a way, it's good she doesn't ride. We couldn't afford another bike anyway.
    Last edited by Werloc; 09-25-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

So Allison got to go on her first real Dirt-bike ride yesterday! WOOT
    And, what a ride it was. We knew we were racing a storm, we just didn't realize how big a storm LOL.
    We got to the staging area, and all was calm. Blue skies, big puffy white clouds.

We hauled butt to the staging area, unloaded, and took off for the canyons.
    She was very uneasy at first. Nervous and scared. But she forged on. She is still learning the controls. What we all take as second nature,
    she has to mentally process methodically every time. Like pulling in the clutch. Like I mentioned earlier, she drives stick well.
    So, when she is stopping, she knows she is supposed to be clutching, but still does not have the learned motor-skill of doing it with her hand.
    Typical beginner rider stuff. For the most part, on the way in, she did a great job.
    We arrived at a pretty large, technical hill, that I had planned on being our turn-back point the whole time. And we did.
    That hill is about 9 miles in. As we turned back, the temp was dropping fast! We crossed a couple washes (good thing!!) and as we got back up on higher ground,
    we could see one knarly storm cell. It was black, the sky around it was creepy looking, if we were in the midwest, we would have been hiding from a tornado!
    It was 10 times worse in person than this cell-phone pic makes it look:

About 10 minutes later, and still a good 5 miles from the truck, we were drenched! "Big fat rain" (as Forrest Gump would say) had us soaked to the bone in seconds.
    When it rains here in AZ, the ground is funny. You end up with what basically amounts to two inches of grease, on top of concrete.
    So here I am with the love of my life, who has never been on a dirt-bike, out in the desert, on a fat-tired cycle, can't see, slip-sliding all over the place!!!
    Next thing we know, the rain stings like mad, and the ground is white! Holy shit! Its hailing!!!!
    At this point, I would normally be having a complete riot by myself. I love riding in "weather". But, I am very worried about Allison.
    Best case scenario in my mind is: we finally get back to the truck, and she is pissed off at me for taking here out in this "shit".
    The hail turns back to rain, and lets up just enough that you can kinda see where you are going. And, she is still chugging along in 2nd gear (I assume) about 15mph,
    slip-sliding all over the place. "OMG! This is awesome!" is all I can think. All the while still worried about the tongue-lashing I am in for when we get to the truck.
    Which we finally do. Its still raining, I jumped ahead of her a little when we were in sight of the truck. Jumped off the bike, dropped the tailgate, threw the ramp up,
    Turned around, and she slides up. And that is when I see the greatest sight EVER! A huge smile and twinkly eyes. She let out a shreik, and yelled "THAT WAS FUN!"

I am here to tell you, I can not remember ever being as happy as I was at that very second!!!!!!!

By the time we got both bikes in the truck, the rain was now a sprinkle. We were standing there drenched to the bone, with 10 pounds of mud clinging to our boots, laughing.
    I figured there was no way I would ever get her back on that TW200 before we got back to the truck. But, quite the contrary, she is pumped to go ride again.
    SUCCESS! What a fabulous day!

Here is the reason it was a very good thing we were not 30 minutes behind where we were:

Two hours before that was was bone-dry. Now it was 3-4ft deep and flowing heavily. We would have been stuck out there probably over-night.
    Or at least the bikes would have, and we would have been walking (swimming). Flash-flooding is the real deal in AZ.

I am so happy right now. What an awesome day.
    Last edited by wheelieking71; 09-28-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    Tweaker likes this.

Great little story man. This is the kinda posts I enjoy reading, detailed about a great day. Looks like you now are living your dream of doing what you love with the love in your life. I mean, isn't that what what life is really all about? I felt the very same way with my wife about fishing, and the facy that she always has supported me in my interests, and hobby's. Even if she didn't do them with me, she would go, sit in car and read, hangout or whatever, just to be with me. Well, fishing, she got involved big time herself, but stuff like when I was racing, she would always go with me for the weekends. I wish someday she will learn to ride. But, unlike your wife, she doesn't know how to use a clutch, or drive a standard trans vehicle, and has in burned in her head, that she will have issues learning. So, that's why maybe starting her on a Honda CT 70 or 90, so she can learn to shift without a clutch, and learn by taking baby steps. Years ago when we both would go mountain biking, she was good on the trails, even pretty technical ones, and fast downhills too. I ust have to get that clutch deal out of the way. A 70's CT Trail 90 is the perfect bike for her as a match for my TW. Top speed of 55mph, High and low gears, semi auto shifting without use of a clutch. Perfect bike. I have to keep my eyes open this Winter for one prefer a basket case that I can fix up. Plus, they are street legal and plate able..... That being said, I hope to post a story just like this sometime next Spring...... BTW, where are you from? No one ever fills out their prifiles anymore.....
    Tweaker likes this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great story wheelieking!
    -Travis
    2013 WR250R, 00 SV650, 93 CR250, 04 CRF50, 86 BW80
    Jeep Wrangler- moto recovery vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
    Great little story man. This is the kinda posts I enjoy reading, detailed about a great day. Looks like you now are living your dream of doing what you love with the love in your life. I mean, isn't that what what life is really all about? I felt the very same way with my wife about fishing, and the facy that she always has supported me in my interests, and hobby's. Even if she didn't do them with me, she would go, sit in car and read, hangout or whatever, just to be with me. Well, fishing, she got involved big time herself, but stuff like when I was racing, she would always go with me for the weekends. I wish someday she will learn to ride. But, unlike your wife, she doesn't know how to use a clutch, or drive a standard trans vehicle, and has in burned in her head, that she will have issues learning. So, that's why maybe starting her on a Honda CT 70 or 90, so she can learn to shift without a clutch, and learn by taking baby steps. Years ago when we both would go mountain biking, she was good on the trails, even pretty technical ones, and fast downhills too. I ust have to get that clutch deal out of the way. A 70's CT Trail 90 is the perfect bike for her as a match for my TW. Top speed of 55mph, High and low gears, semi auto shifting without use of a clutch. Perfect bike. I have to keep my eyes open this Winter for one prefer a basket case that I can fix up. Plus, they are street legal and plate able..... That being said, I hope to post a story just like this sometime next Spring...... BTW, where are you from? No one ever fills out their prifiles anymore.....
    Sorry I never responded to this reply. Shortly after posting my post, my business grew legs and took off running. It has consumed me to say the least.
    And the TW went on the back-burner (and my bike got sold).
    I am from Pennsylvania to answer your question (2.5 years late LOL).
    Ohh, and guess what I drug out this morning, and started working on!
    littletommy, tree.bobby and dette like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
    Sweet....!!! Holy crap, That's a smoken deal Bill. Welcome to the forum. Yeah, not the rear pegs themselves, but leave the rear peg "mounts" on the bike. They stick out a bit, and work as rear crash bars incase your wife lays the bike down. That's the only reason I left mine on....

I liked and bought the Tusk risers. I also hate the bend on stock bars. I hope to replace them with a Suzuki bend for next year....
    I leave my pegs on so I can lean way forward and put my feet on back pegs so I feel like I am driving a crotch rocket. I swear I gain 1 mph due to aerodynamics.
    littletommy, dette and admiral like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links