Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree861Likes

Thread: LuvNot's TW200 Progress

GTG and jtomelliott49 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

GTG
    Nice! I'll take a stab at some of these.
    Quirk #1 have you had the seat off yet? It could just be that it is not clipped in properly in front.
    Quirk #2 if those horns work, they must be an improvement over the pathetic stocker. If you keep them though, you might want to spin the open mouth down so it's not catching rain.
    Quirk #3 it's not stock, I would guess a PO was trying to conserve electricity by not using the headlight during the day. Not a bad idea, especially if you plan on adding anything, like GPS, heated grips/seat, etc.
    Question #1 Yes, there should be one on each side.
    Question #2 It certainly appears to be a normal chain.
    Question #3 The one time (so far) I dropped my bike, I had fuel slop out the carb on that side. If that has happened a few times without being wiped off, it would collect crud.
    Question #4 That is the kickstand safety switch, it kills the bike if you put the stand down when it is in gear. I believe it also prevents you from starting in gear with the stand down. *Edit- As Admiral points out below, this is of course the rear brake light switch.*
    Question #5 that tire looks good, and if it is only 5 years old it should be ok, but I would want to hear what someone with more experience than me has to say. I would seriously recommend getting rid of that huge clip on the end of the axle, replace it with a small split pin, that thing is just begging to take a giant chunk out of your calf.
    Those are some nice upgrades already installed, and your plans sound good. You certainly look happy, just wait until you get out on it!
    Last edited by GTG; 05-29-2015 at 07:40 PM.
    jeffrolives, LuvNot and amanduh like this.
    "200 cubic centimeters of raw whining power,
    no outstanding warrants for my arrest.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!
    the pirate's life for me!"

Course correction. Q#4 is the rear brake light switch. Kickstand safety is on the left side down by the kickstand.
    jeffrolives and GTG like this.

First foray into the bike's innards

Didn't get time to do more than scratch the surface of the bike this weekend. But I was able to do a couple of minor things.
    First, I turned the horns over. They are pathetic - I can't imagine them ever being louder than the mouse fart they squeak out now. But after Friday evening's rain, they were also full of water, so maybe that's the problem and they'll dry out and make a dog's fart sound instead. Is there any reason not to put a stock horn back on the front where it was originally? I'd even consider putting it on the cowling up front if that would help. What have others done with the horn?
    20150531_110449.jpg

After reading the posts about making quick-release posts for the seats, I headed out to the local ACE Hardware store. The guys are getting used to seeing me ask for specialty fasteners by now after coming in for some stuff for the Nomad. Unfortunately, they didn't have a M6 cotter pin like the one pictured on the forum. But the guys were helpful and cut down a 4" M6 threaded rod to two pieces and with a little locktite to hold the wingnuts and spacers, we came up with a "make-do" bolt.
    20150531_131336.jpg

Unfortunately, it's a little too short. It works, but the wingnuts push against the frame, making it difficult to turn. Not exactly a "quick release" fastener. I may have to see if it's possible to put threads on the pins they have...
    20150531_174135.jpg

While the seat was off, I decided to explore under the side plastics. I found the airbox... and all the wonderful critters who tried to make it home. Luckily, I have a box of air and oil filters and associated bits & pieces on the way from ProCycle. Should be fixed next week.
    20150531_111021.jpg

I think I might want to change to an o-ring chain and install new sprockets at the same time. I don't care about screaming along at top speed, but need to be able to reliably cruise at 55mph to keep up with local commuter traffic. However, I would still like to be able to power through some mud and hills at the local bike track. I will need to get a good feel for dirt riding before tackling the mountain tracks I want to do later this summer, and the local track offers a variety of dirt trails with some minor challenges (mostly muddy holes I've been told). What combination of front and rear sprockets would work the best for this combination of beginners riding?
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Okay, so I realize the above post was barely an 'innard' discovery session. Not really. But Damnit Jim, I'm a RIDER, not a MECHANIC! Trying to do this stuff myself without going to the bike shop is an adventure for me.

I was able to ride it around the neighborhood this afternoon. Splashed some SeaFoam in the tank then took it up to the local gas station and filled it up with new gas. Rode it for a half hour leisurely tour through the back streets, totally enjoying the little bike's stability and handling. It felt a little funny in the turns: I couldn't tell if that was due to the knobby tires or if the pressure was low. Between that, the unfamiliar riding position, and that stock seat, I was starting to feel a little cramped by the time I got it back home.

I have always ridden bikes with forward controls or with foot pegs where I could stretch my legs as I rode. Has anyone made forward foot rests? It wouldn't have to be fancy, and would ideally be removable for off-roading. Just something to allow your feet to sit in a different position. If no one else has done this in the past, I may have to try making something. There's no way I could ride all day with my knees bent like that - no matter how comfortable the seat happens to be.

The only thing I can do in the mean time to help this situation is add a set of taller handlebars so I can scoot back on the seat (which will require longer cables) and buy the Custom Seat padding everyone recommends. The seat may put me on my toes (how can such a small bike be so tall?!? ), but it's a better alternative to numb-butt.

One day, I would really like to tackle the Trans American Trail like my cousin did (check out her site Pursuit Horizon | Pursuit Horizon - A Motorcycle Adventure Documentary), or look up Pursuit Horizon on Facebook). If SHE could do it on a Honda CBR 650, then my fat butt should be able to handle it on a TW200...

...probably...

well, maybe...

okay not after some serious training and more mechanical skills. But I'm working towards it!
    joeband likes this.
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    Didn't get time to do more than scratch the surface of the bike this weekend. But I was able to do a couple of minor things.
    First, I turned the horns over. They are pathetic - I can't imagine them ever being louder than the mouse fart they squeak out now. But after Friday evening's rain, they were also full of water, so maybe that's the problem and they'll dry out and make a dog's fart sound instead. Is there any reason not to put a stock horn back on the front where it was originally? I'd even consider putting it on the cowling up front if that would help. What have others done with the horn?
    20150531_110449.jpg

After reading the posts about making quick-release posts for the seats, I headed out to the local ACE Hardware store. The guys are getting used to seeing me ask for specialty fasteners by now after coming in for some stuff for the Nomad. Unfortunately, they didn't have a M6 cotter pin like the one pictured on the forum. But the guys were helpful and cut down a 4" M6 threaded rod to two pieces and with a little locktite to hold the wingnuts and spacers, we came up with a "make-do" bolt.
    20150531_131336.jpg

Unfortunately, it's a little too short. It works, but the wingnuts push against the frame, making it difficult to turn. Not exactly a "quick release" fastener. I may have to see if it's possible to put threads on the pins they have...
    20150531_174135.jpg

While the seat was off, I decided to explore under the side plastics. I found the airbox... and all the wonderful critters who tried to make it home. Luckily, I have a box of air and oil filters and associated bits & pieces on the way from ProCycle. Should be fixed next week.
    20150531_111021.jpg

I think I might want to change to an o-ring chain and install new sprockets at the same time. I don't care about screaming along at top speed, but need to be able to reliably cruise at 55mph to keep up with local commuter traffic. However, I would still like to be able to power through some mud and hills at the local bike track. I will need to get a good feel for dirt riding before tackling the mountain tracks I want to do later this summer, and the local track offers a variety of dirt trails with some minor challenges (mostly muddy holes I've been told). What combination of front and rear sprockets would work the best for this combination of beginners riding?
    In my opinion the factory 14/50 is the sweet spot gearing combo for this bike, good enough for around town and back roads and low enough trail riding. I know there is a lot of gearing discussion about gearing here but in my opinion at the end of the day folks are trying to turn the TW into something its not. If you need to be able to sustain 55mph you may want to look into another bike or ride one of the others you own, the TW is simply not the right tool for this job and no amount of gearing change will fix that. It has way to little power, can't get out of its own way at that speed and isn't a super stable platform at that speed either.

I would ride it as it is for a while so you can get a feel for what it can and cant do before you make any real changes to it.
    Last edited by jb882; 06-02-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

As jb says - stock gearing is 14/50 which suits the bike in a variety of circumstances. Mine will do a steady 60mph on the flat on that gearing - doesn't seem to be stressing out the engine at all, just "buzzes" along - still get enough torque between 0 and 30 to suit most trails I get over here ......
    LuvNot likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

Thanks, guys. I'll stick with the 14/50.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links