LuvNot's TW200 Progress - Page 24
Close

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
Like Tree795Likes

Thread: LuvNot's TW200 Progress

Nice Luv!!

What's with the 3 wheeler in the pic? Your's?
    Smitty Blackstone and Ken like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Nice Luv!!

What's with the 3 wheeler in the pic? Your's?
    Yep. That's my "big scooter", a Piaggio MP3 500. It's a blast to ride (when it's running). The maintenance on it is pretty intense, though. It currently needs a trip to the shop to get running again. That will have to wait until I sell the Nomad and Blur 220i (with me luck with that). With those two gone, I'm hoping I can trade the MP3 in as a down payment on an URAL Patrol or Gear Up (I want the 2WD). My ultimate goal is to narrow down the fleet to bikes that can be used in the tour group. So the TWs are definite savers. And the URAL can be used for folks that want to travel with the group, but cannot drive their own bike (like handicap folks).
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

"Waddya think? Can y'all think of anything else I should do?".

Add a Ricochet skid plate or the like. Also a cycle rack would be cool, if you care to spend the money. Then of course there's replacing the stock mirrors with a single (one side) www.procycle.us fold-down unit (they are brilliant!). I'd personally go for the inexpensive NON-LED mini (bendable/flexible) turn signals from Procycle. Consider changing the gearing if it would benefit your philosophy of use for this particular bike. Maybe consider one of the ultra-light batteries (although that's getting spendy if the bike isn't right yet...). Check the brakes and change the brake fluid (and consider a new brake line - possibly stainless steel braided - , as it's not a young machine), maybe even a new master cylinder if it needs it. Check the tension on the wheel spokes (properly tensioned spokes in trued wheels won't bend or break). Go through all other regular maintenance items since you don't know what it's been through. Hmm. Anything else...anything else? I feel like I'm not being thorough enough, haha
    LuvNot and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200; 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX 331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    Yep. That's my "big scooter", a Piaggio MP3 500. It's a blast to ride (when it's running). The maintenance on it is pretty intense, though. It currently needs a trip to the shop to get running again. That will have to wait until I sell the Nomad and Blur 220i (with me luck with that). With those two gone, I'm hoping I can trade the MP3 in as a down payment on an URAL Patrol or Gear Up (I want the 2WD). My ultimate goal is to narrow down the fleet to bikes that can be used in the tour group. So the TWs are definite savers. And the URAL can be used for folks that want to travel with the group, but cannot drive their own bike (like handicap folks).
    Hmm. I've not seen good things regarding those Urals' reliability. Have you read up on them much? If your heart's set on it, then by all means...but I'd personally trust one of the Urals about as far as I could throw it with my pinky finger, lol...

Here's a little sample of the Russian machines', uhh, hard earned reputation, if you've not seen this sort of stuff before.

http://quickthrottle.com/2014-ural-m...car-right-box/

On top of that, the new ones are 17 grand...you can buy just about anything with that (ATV's or side by sides).
    Last edited by kj7687; 03-18-2017 at 01:22 AM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200; 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX 331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Congrats on an awesome day all around!

Well, I got a new battery installed, added a fresh spark plug, got the oil changed, and added some Marvel Mystery Oil to both the gas and the oil. I tested the light, high beam, turn signals and horn... they are all A-Okay (though after getting used to the LEDs, the regular bulbs seem mighty dim and blink really slow). So since everything else checked out, I cranked him up!

And he sounded TERRIBLE . Lots of clacking. I let him run long enough to see the oil weep from the top screw, but cut him off shortly after that.
    Would the clacking sound indicate a valve-adjustment is needed?

Tomorrow I will clean the air filter, scrape the crud off the chain and sprockets, and check the tires. Don't think I'll do much more than that at this point if he needs real servicing. I'll take him to a shop for valves - I'm not ready to tackle those yet.
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    For sure you could adjust valves.
    TopPredator and littletommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    Well, I got a new battery installed, added a fresh spark plug, got the oil changed, and added some Marvel Mystery Oil to both the gas and the oil. I tested the light, high beam, turn signals and horn... they are all A-Okay (though after getting used to the LEDs, the regular bulbs seem mighty dim and blink really slow). So since everything else checked out, I cranked him up!

And he sounded TERRIBLE . Lots of clacking. I let him run long enough to see the oil weep from the top screw, but cut him off shortly after that.
    Would the clacking sound indicate a valve-adjustment is needed?

Tomorrow I will clean the air filter, scrape the crud off the chain and sprockets, and check the tires. Don't think I'll do much more than that at this point if he needs real servicing. I'll take him to a shop for valves - I'm not ready to tackle those yet.
    When are you going to show up in Green Ridge. If you get there early enough I'll teach you how to adjust your valves.
    littletommy and LuvNot like this.
    Rick

Check chain tensioner
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

So today I took advantage of the BEAUTIFUL weather to ride to Virginia Beach to have coffee with a friend - from the Peninsula - even though I hate riding on the south side and I don't drink coffee. But hey, it was finally Warm Enough to Ride. For those that aren't familiar with my area, there are 2 bridge-tunnels and 1 bridge that connect the peninsula with the southside. The tunnels can either be a race track or a parking lot, depending on the season and time of day. Luckily for me, this is a between time, so we had pretty steady 55mph travel. Like most of the natives here, I know the ramps on and off that are closest to the tunnel, making the trip less stressful, no matter the traffic pattern. One day I'm going to put my helmet cam on and film the whole ordeal.

That's neither here nor there, however, for the purpose of this thread. What IS important is when I got home, I watched a couple of YouTube videos, screwed up my courage, put on some mechanics gloves, and pulled the carb off Charlotte (the new bike - named after Charlottesville where I bought her. Yes, yes, I know I called it 'he' earlier, but the more i work around it, the more feminine it becomes. I don't know man - I don't make up the rules... ).
    20170325_164009_resized.jpg
    Looks like I pulled her heart out.

Of course, by now I'm looking at this and trying to match it with the half dozen different carbs I've seen in the videos and am getting confused. <~sigh~> So I take off the top, find the float and realize I can't get the pin out. Find the pilot screw and the main jet. Don't see the pilot jet. Spray some carb cleaner in the bowl area and swipe away the crud with some q-tips. Get nervous about tiny parts, and decide to wait to take the whole thing - bike and all - over to my mother's boyfriend who has a magical shop full of tools and a noggin full of know-how. If he can talk me through it, I'll feel better about the job.
    20170325_164705_resized.jpg20170325_165323_resized.jpg
    Bits and Pieces make me Nervous

So... I installed (another) new horn on Frank (my original TW that's been Frankenstein'ed) instead. This one is nice and LOUD. Hopefully it will stay that way for a while.
    20170325_172646_resized.jpg

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Sponosred Links