LuvNot's TW200 Progress - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree861Likes

Thread: LuvNot's TW200 Progress

It's been raining pretty steady all week which means nothing is being done with the bike. The new parts for the air and oil filters came in, and I have a Wolo low-tone disc horn ready to install... whenever the sky stops leaking water.

In the mean time, I've been thinking about removable forward foot rests, and looking up how-to videos.
    Found this and thought it was pretty interesting:

How many of you guys actually use a hand pump to seat the bead on the tire? Can the tire be inflated to running speed with just a hand pump?
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I guess it would work.. Can't recall it ever taking much pressure to seat the bead - 30 pounds did the trick with a cold stock rear tire.
    For running pressure I keep mine around 20lb. on road and 10lb. off road
    '01 TW200, '03 Z1000, '09 KLR 650

I’m sure a hand pump would be sufficient to re-inflate a tire from 10 to 20 psi – not sure I’d try seating a bead with one though (though from what I read on line, if that’s all you’ve got to hand, a few “hardy” types would disagree).

Some of the 12v compressors available are designed to take the tire pressure up to 30psi without concern – though I’ve never had one that lasted over a year, they’re cheap enough and (now) small enough to be considered as “disposable”. Trouble is, you never know quite when they’re gonna crap out on you ……………..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This is kind of a double post, but I wanted to keep all my progress together so...

Found another excellent video. This one shows how to remove the wheels and inspect/clean the drum brakes:

Armed with this info, I felt confident enough to take a look at the rear brakes, lube the chain, and reinstall everything.
    20150608_175447.jpg

Went for a half-hour ride afterwards to air up the tires and was really happy with the way the bike ran and handled. Air pressure in the front tire was around 12psi, and the back was about 26-28psi. Since I'll be on pavement for a while, I topped both off with about 30psi. The bike handled so much better! No more wishy-washy ride. And the balance point was spot-on! She stuck to the corners like crazy and was just a joy to ride.

Now to get her inspected so she's street-legal and can be a regular commuter!

And after that, I'll tackle the seat. I have a plan......
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

That's too much air in my opinion. Check the owners manual and go by it, depending on your weight and gear.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    That's too much air in my opinion. Check the owners manual and go by it, depending on your weight and gear.
    I still have the OEM Bridgestone TW31/34 tires. When I looked them up on the website, the max psi was 32. I know most of you guys are true dirt riders, so run lower pressure for better traction, but I'm only on asphalt right now. I promise once I start riding dirt, I'll switch out the OEM front tire for something better and, lower the pressure to something closer to what you guys normally run.

Perhaps they say that at the Bridgestone tire website, But the TW manual says if your load on the bike is 198lbs or less, to go with 18lbs front and rear. If it is 198lbs and over to with 22 front and 25 rear. Yamaha tested them on the bike and felt these pressures worked best for the bike. It's up to you though, just thought I'd mention it.
    2005TW200 and jbfla like this.

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Manual suggest anything up to 200lb rider:
    Front 18 psi
    Rear 18 psi

From 200lb to 400lbs:
    Front 22 psi
    Rear 25 psi

We’ll run low (anything from 10 to 15) on dirt — higher (22 to 25) on asphalt — everyone has their own preferences, but as Littletommy says, 30 seems awful high. You’ll probably find you get the same result from 26.

“When I looked them up on the website, the max psi was 32” - means that the manufacturer won’t guarantee they won’t blow out at 33 while you’re trying to mount one ………
    jeffrolives likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

LOL. Okay, thanks for looking that up. I'll reduce them and see how it rides.

While it might feel nice with the higher pressure, it is lessoning your contact patch of rubber on the road. In adverse conditions this could lead to losing your grip on the road and sliding out.

You are not a large person so I would go with the 18lbs front and rear.
    jeffrolives likes this.

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links