If Rear tire is flat?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: If Rear tire is flat?

If Rear tire is flat?

On rare occasion, long before the TW, I have been way out in the back country when I damaged a tire. Depending on the circumstances I either repaired it immediately or slowly and carefully nursed it back on the flat. It was almost always the rear tire. It never created a problem, although if I went any distance I never used that tire again.

My question regards a similar situation on the TW. If that huge rear tire goes flat and there is no means of getting it repaired, can it be ridden in the flat condition? It looks as if that big tire and very small wheel might be a difficult combo when flat. It also looks as if the tire might de-rail the chain.

Has anyone ever tested this situation? Just wondering.

Never ride on a flat of any kind on a bike. If the tire de - beads ( the big TW rear probably will )you will go down . When riding I always carry a spare tube and tire irons.

Boxcar, thanks for the reply. I had just about decided that nobody here had experienced a flat tire back in the boonies and been unable to fix it. Unfortunately, I have had that experience. You mentioned the tire de-beading, and that was my main concern. I'm not certain that would happen, though. I hoped someone might have tried it.

On motorcycles with normal sized tires I and occasionally one of my friends have ridden several miles with a flat tire with no ill effects whatever, so long as it is in the dirt, and as I said, "SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY NURSE IT BACK ON THE FLAT". That means at walking speed. Drag your feet if necessary. LOL !f it locks up at that speed, so what? Very unlikely to go down.

On the street or at speed, you are correct. Thanks for answering.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Excellent question Phantom.

Here is a good thread about riding on a flat tires. Davey talks about riding with a flat front and riding on a flat rear (with different results).

5.10x18 K270 is a run-flat?

Thanks for that link, OWT. That is kinda what I expected. No problem with the front, but seriously questionable with the rear. That is a great thing about this place. Any problem you might think up; chances are that someone has experienced it. Thanks again.

they have been selling foam rubber, no air tubes for bicycles for years. Living in the land of bull thorns I've used them. They seem OK. I wonder if it would be possible to make one big enough for a motorcycle?

I have seen it done once with success -- zip tie the tire to the rim. The rider said it felt like a normal tire but the zip ties wear through and break and need to be replaced. Give that a try and report back.
    sponge likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

On a Honda 350 dirt bike, I once rode 25 miles back to town, all but about 1/2 mile on pavement. It was a front tire and I stuffed it full of grass. That got me to the highway.
    Then I hiked my butt well aft over the tail light and accellerated hard through the gears to keep the weight off the front tire. The centrifugal force put the bead back on the rim and held the tire round as I rode at 60 to 70 MPH. If you do this, slow down gently for a curve and accelerate through to un-weight the front wheel. DO NOT TOUCH THE FRONT BRAKE NO MATTER WHATA!
    The tire and tube were scrap but the rim was undamaged. This will not work on a rear tire.
    TWilight and WECSOG like this.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    On a Honda 350 dirt bike, I once rode 25 miles back to town, all but about 1/2 mile on pavement. It was a front tire and I stuffed it full of grass. That got me to the highway.
    Then I hiked my butt well aft over the tail light and accellerated hard through the gears to keep the weight off the front tire. The centrifugal force put the bead back on the rim and held the tire round as I rode at 60 to 70 MPH. If you do this, slow down gently for a curve and accelerate through to un-weight the front wheel. DO NOT TOUCH THE FRONT BRAKE NO MATTER WHATA!
    The tire and tube were scrap but the rim was undamaged. This will not work on a rear tire.
    I did that on my Sportster once, minus the grass.
    littletommy likes this.

As a relative newbie I recently repaired a puncture in my back tire. It was surprisingly easy. I was smart enough to suffer this puncture a few miles from home on a road well-traveled by acquaintances in my small town, so I got a ride home within 10 minutes and my trailer happened to be sitting already hooked up to my truck. I also had a compressor handy. It must take forever to pump up a rear TW tire with a hand pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links