Trail Tech Computers?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Trail Tech Computers?

Trail Tech Computers?

Has anyone installed one of these? If so, which model did you get and do you like it, or wish you bought a different model?

I was thinking of buying the Trail Tech Striker Computer Kit For Generic Drum Brakes. I don't particularly need a tachometer, but would love voltmeter and distance tracker. I also like the temperature feature.
    356-6713.jpg
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I have had two. The one you show is on my bike (2006) now. I have had some issues with both units and have reinstalled the stock unit as a 'reliable backup'. First went to Trail Tech for the oil temp read-out. Then I thought it would be nice to see voltage. At some point both units would zero out on me and read/present nothing. Tech service was easy to connect with on the phone and really tried to help. The end result was always "send the unit in" and we will check it out. I now run the unit that you show on 'internal battery' (2032?) only. Use my stock speed-O for mph and trip miles. For me, the Trail Tech is nothing but an oil temp/volt meter. Trail Tech units are very popular, perhaps I am unlucky, or my charging system creates some issues. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

While I used them on 4-wheelers I have had 2 different trail tech unit. I don't remember what the first one was called but it was their basic unit, I put it on for distance and speed. IT worked really well for me. The second one was a Vapor. I really liked it the most. The temp feature was nice and when we raced, the tach feature was nice, My bike was kinda quiet so I couldn't hear the engine over some of the other bikes but I could see the shift light come on so it made things easier. I never hooked up the coolant temp option that it had so I couldn't tell you much about that part. wouldn't matter to much on a TW anyway lol.
    Will

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info! Any issues with seeing the readout at night?
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Vapor_Backlight_w700.jpg
    Here is a photo of the backlight. It is the same on the Striker computer.
    LuvNot likes this.

They have an illumination just like the picture above, its that easy to read and see at night so no worries about that one. I don't know about now, but the older ones had a button you had to push to make them light up. not sure if that's still the case or if they do it automatically

Installed one about 5 mos ago... Although I disliked hacking into the DUB wiring etc I wired it all up and it works great.
    The intensity of the bulbs for neutral and turn in sunlight is almost impossible to see but so was the OEM Lights.
    I have not installed the led's yet, maybe they will be more visible.

The cylinder head temperature sensor that fits on the spark plug was problematic.... I and to do some mild grinding to get it to fit easily.

I did find it interesting that the batteries are good for about a year... Going to have to carry a spare set.

I removed the OEM speedo which was inop, and fabricated a bracket out of sheet metal for the Trail Tech unit.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jtstdub; 07-16-2015 at 10:21 AM.
    LuvNot likes this.

What do you guys do about the odometer reading if you remove the stock speedometer.
    I don't know where I heard it, but I seem to recall someone telling me you needed to have accurate odometer readings for a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    What do you guys do about the odometer reading if you remove the stock speedometer.
    I don't know where I heard it, but I seem to recall someone telling me you needed to have accurate odometer readings for a vehicle.
    I set mine per instructions and did the tire size diameter they explain about.... Then I borrowed my wives Phone that has Gps/navigation... The trail tech was right on!

If you do not have one follow someone and have them drive 30 mph.... Wave when they are at 30.... Check your trail tech and see if it is off. + or -.... Get into the Trail Tech speed calibration and change the setting.

Easy stuff.

BTW, Love the tach..... You can set it to what you want your redline to be and it will flash if you go over the setting. I have mine set for 6500rpm..

It also will warn you if the head temperature exceeds your setting. I have mine set for 375deg F. On a 105deg day, if I sit too long at a stop light it will come on.... Never saw it get over 380 though.

Jim

All around it sounds like it will be worth the investment. Thanks for the feedback, guys.
    littletommy and jtstdub like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links