TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Please Help with mounting pelican case to a rack

7K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Holdnon72 
#1 ·
Whats a good way to mount a pelican case to manrack? Would it be easiest to have the manrack with rotopax mount?

Can someone post some pics of the hardware you used to mount your cases to your racks please

Gonna be raining here for 3 days so I can be out in shed getting some stuff done

thanks for any pics and ideas

#2 ·
Check the "Similar Threads" section at bottom of this thread and you will see you have already generated the solution to your request.

#3 ·
I have a Manrack without the rotopax and I ended up having to weld 1 inch plates from side to side at the front and rear to mount my pelican case. In hindsite I should have gotten the rotopax mount Manrack. I have a rotopax mount rack on my other bike and it works perfect to mount the pelican case. The added bonus is you can mount a rotopax and then put a soft bag above it as an option for longer trips or camping. A couple of SS bolts and wing nuts or thumb screws and it's secure, but easy to swap out.
I had delusions of making a slide lock removable mount for the case on the TW with the Manrack and after making it, i realized how useless it was. So I scrapped all that time and effort and welded the plates on for a bolt on process. But again, after all was said and done, I should have ordered the rotopax mount, bolted it down and not wasted 3 days and buying all the extra crap. Had I gone the rotopax mount, I could have easily switched the different sized boxes and my rotopax tanks from bike to bike, but sometimes i have to make things more difficult than they need to be. [emoji37]
Also the cases from Monoprice or SKB are equal quality to pelican at a much lower cost. I think Monoprice has 10-20% off this weekend too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
trail...with the rotopax mount I can basicly just buy bolts that thead into the rotopax mount from through the inside of the pelican case correct?

Wouldnt I need some type of wood spacer between the rotplax mount and case? I would think their would be a gap there

#5 ·
The gap may or may not exist depending on the size of the case used and where it's feet are. If it's a larger case the feet will be outside of the perimeter of the rack.
The rotopax mount is just a circle with 4 bolt holes. It's built to accept a rotopax latch which holds the tanks. So all you need bolts, nuts and nylon spacers. You can use wing nuts for a tool free removal or nylock nuts for a more secure mount. I prefer stainless and use SS bolts exclusively for accessory mounting.
Get some nylon spacers at the hardware store, something like 1/4 to 3/8 thick and sized for your bolts ( which for a rotopax are 5/16 I believe )
Spacers can be found at an Ace or True value hardware or a local real hardware store ( maybe lowes too ) but I buy all my hardware from McMaster Carr and Grainger. You can always buy 1 inch nylon spacers and cut them down to the exact length you want.

I would not use wood.
I use spacers like pictured below frequently for projects

When installing the case, think about mounting it just far enough back to still be able to remove the seat. Also I prefer the latches forward ( most rear boxes open from the back ) but I find it much more convenient to be able to open the box while standing beside the bike than walking around back to open the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Don't know if this helps any, but here's how I mounted a Pelican (Storm) case to a Cyclerack.

I tried a few different ways, u-bolts , j-bolts, and bolting it directly to a mounting plate which was then attached to the rack with nylon ties.

jb

#8 ·
It worked fine.

I still had to empty the case to get to the knobs.

I ended up using the case bolted to the mounting plate (leftover from another motorcycle), then using the velcro or nylon ties to attach it to the rack.

I wanted to be able to remove the case without having to empty the contents.

In this instance, the case prevented the seat from being removed.

jb

#10 ·
If you mean the "tool tube", it is mounted to the left side of the Cyclerack with 2 P-clamps and a couple of bolts through the tabs on the tool tube.

I don't have a close-up photo. Here's the best I have:

When I return to NC next week, I can get a better one.

jb

Reactions: Holdnon72
#12 ·
A decompression valve.

From the Pelican FAQ's:

"How does the Pressure Equalization (Purge) Valve work?
The Pressure Equalization Valve (Purge Valve) is a simple device. It consists of a housing with a hole through it that is covered with a thin Gore-Tex® membrane. According to the GoreTM tech sheet: “The microporous expanded polytetraflouroethylene (ePTFE) membrane continuously allows the free passage of gases and vapours, equalizing the pressure differential between the enclosure and ambient before it builds to the point that a seal is compromised. Water, dust and dirt are repelled by the hydrophobic membrane, thereby protecting expensive and sensitive electronics”.

jb

#13 · (Edited)
That's some hi-Tech info...Thanks man!

Here's is the Pelican 1400 case all mounted up...I have the case far back enough so The seat can be removed with no problem

Love how it looks on the bike and now I can bring along a couple bottles of water,lunch and some other stuff so I dont have to stuff my pockets anymore

I also ordered a 4 pack of the bungie buddies for the top

#14 ·
thanks...used some oak 1" thick to make a riser plate. I used some stainless brackets I found at lowes to hold the oak wood plate to the rack. Then used sheet metal screw and fender washers through the inside of the case into the oak plate. Solid as can be and quiet....about time I got off my my azz and did it.

Getting ready so I can do some fall rides,wanna do the pine barrens also

Now im looking at the Garmin oregon 700 gps

Gonna put one on layaway at walmart

Im probably gonna do a fuel cylinder mount also since I have stock gas tank

Reactions: jbfla
#16 ·
One item I rarely see addressed by those who use hard cases is how to keep contents from rattling around.
Without naming any names I can attest that a burst can of oily tuna fish at the beginning of a week long off-road adventure in hot weather doesn't do the rest of the box's contents any good. :(
For less than 100% load-outs I would suggest something like these tile sponges to take up excess room and provide padding. I got a bag of 6 or so from Home Depot for about a buck a sponge. Yellow Product Processed cheese Sponge Household supply

#17 ·
Great idea!!

One item I rarely see addressed by those who use hard cases is how to keep contents from rattling around.
Without naming any names I can attest that a burst can of oily tuna fish at the beginning of a week long off-road adventure in hot weather doesn't do the rest of the box's contents any good. :(
For less than 100% load-outs I would suggest something like these tile sponges to take up excess room and provide padding. I got a bag of 6 or so from Home Depot for about a buck a sponge. View attachment 44114

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.