Slinger's TW - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Slinger's TW

While hand guards usually prevent damage to levers most anything is possible when dumping the bike off-road. I had something slip past the guards and snap a clutch lever during a seemingly innocent tip over on Moab's Porcupine Ridge. I also fell over in soft debris-free sand once and something somehow snuck in and shattered the instrument housing. So no guarantees on protection, but hand guards usually work. They excel at protecting your hands from contact with brush and trees if you ride in thick vegetation.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Awesome find. You'll love this forum as much as you love your TW. Be careful, they tend to multiply. Is Vail close to Tucson??? I lived in Tucson a long time ago, and my brother still lives there.
    littletommy likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Ken
    My bike modified it's own clutch lever. It jumped over in the driveway and broke the clutch lever. I filed down the sharp edges put some heat shrink tubing over it and now use a shortly lever.
    littletommy and slinger like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jtomelliott49 View Post
    Awesome find. You'll love this forum as much as you love your TW. Be careful, they tend to multiply. Is Vail close to Tucson??? I lived in Tucson a long time ago, and my brother still lives there.
    Vail is essentially southeast Tucson.
    littletommy likes this.

Oh no! What did you do?

I've been cleaning up the bike and looking for issues. The chain is nearing its end of life, and the sprockets look like they could be replaced as well. I decided I might as well replace those since the oil is drained and I'll have to remove the rear wheel to mount the new tire. I'll be installing either an o-ring or x-ring chain.

The air filter was quite messy. I really wanted to inspect behind the air box screen, but removing the air box to get access looks to be quite involved.

I drained the fuel tank. There was not much gunk in there, and the petcock was in great shape.

So now I wait for parts to arrive ...

Catching up on maintenance is always number one to me. Even before fixing any issues. Plus you can learn about the MC as you do it.
    Ken and Tweaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    My bike modified it's own clutch lever. It jumped over in the driveway and broke the clutch lever. I filed down the sharp edges put some heat shrink tubing over it and now use a shortly lever.
    Thanks for the idea. I just looked at my shortened brake lever with a new perspective. I kind of like it at the new length. Maybe these TWs just know what's best. I'll eventually replace the lever, but I can try this for a while and see what length I prefer before buying the replacement.
    Ken likes this.

Don't forget the ride-on for your tires. Sounds like a must in AZ.

Welcome
    littletommy, Moabman and slinger like this.
    Founders for militia definition: ..[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.” The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788. No founder is on record arguing with this definition - many support it. Then there's Patrick Henry: "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.

Gen:27:3

Quote Originally Posted by slinger View Post
    It has the right filter with the four holes. The previous owner said he changed the oil about a month ago, and the oil came out pretty clean. The filter has some black sludge in one area with some metal shavings in it. Is this normal for a bike with 6300 miles on it? Maybe the filter was not cleaned well previously?

I'm thinking some of the sludge type material on the filter as you've shown may or may not appear. My guess, and this is just a guess, this material may be some of the cam chain guide material and or clutch plate excess material. There could be other possibilities but I just wonder if these two could be common.

Here's what my filter looked like after the crankshaft bearings failed.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post
    Don't forget the ride-on for your tires. Sounds like a must in AZ.
    Thanks! I saw a few mentions of Ride-On on this forum. When I looked it up on Amazon, I saw a bunch of listings for ride on toys for children. Finally, I found what you are talking about, and it is on my list of things to get soon.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links