Slinger's TW
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Slinger's TW

Slinger's TW

I just got my TW today! It is a 1994 that's quite clean with about 6300 miles on it. This thread will detail my plans for this bike and updates along the way.

Welcome Slinger, cool name. Mud slinger, gun slinger, or cow chip slinger? We need details.
    Really clean looking '94. While not a fan of the red seat I otherwise have always liked the plastic, decals and tank of the '94. Good find.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

The Craigslist add stated that the tires were "newish". I wish I spent time looking for the date codes. The rear tire is dated for the year 2001, and the front tire is dated for the year 2008. Needless to say, I will be replacing those before I ride anywhere. I probably would have offered a couple hunderd under the asking price had I noticed the date codes. I gave him his asking price of $1500 ... maybe a little high, but I am looking forward to working on it. I did get a brand new set of front and rear brake pads with the bike.

There is some rust on the swingarm, but not much other than that. I looked in the fuel tank expecting to see some rust, but it is really clean with no noticeable rust. The engine looks incredibly clean with just a few scratches on the left side from an apparent drop.

I already dinged her up. The HF hitch carrier sits really high on my truck, and the ramp is not nearly long enough. I didn't control the bike well down the ramp and ended up dropping it. I broke the front brake lever, and the throttle now sticks and does not automatically return to idle. I'll need a better ramp in the future.

My 5 year old son loves the color and "stickers", but I gotta say that I am not a fan. I expect that I will give her a paint job in the future. I am thinking a flat desert earth or tan or light brown scheme. My first priority is to go through the "new old bike" checklist and make sure everything is in good working order.

Here is my prioritized list of things to change/install:
    1) New tires (TW34 on the rear and probably a Shinko R244 on the front).
    2) Fix throttle grip
    3) New front brake lever
    4) Add a fuel filter
    5) Handguards
    6) Folding shift lever
    7) Folding rear brake lever
    8) Wider footpegs
    9) Folding mirrors
    10) Rear cargo rack
    11) Windscreen
    12) Skid plate with engine guards

I graduated high school in 1994, so this bike is my late graduation gift to myself

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Welcome Slinger, cool name. Mud slinger, gun slinger, or cow chip slinger? We need details.
    Really clean looking '94. While not a fan of the red seat I otherwise have always liked the plastic, decals and tank of the '94. Good find.
    Slinger started as a nickname given to me during Air Force basic training (another 1994 date that ties to my TW). It is a derivation of my last name. I do enjoy firearms though and hope to be slinging some mud from my TW soon (although the "mud" here is pretty dry most of the time).

Yeah, I think the seat is the only real eyesore so far. I think a seat concepts upgrade is in my future.

The bike showed up on Craigslist Thursday night, and I arranged to meet with the owner within a couple hours of it initially posting. I was nervous all day Friday that someone would scoop in on MY bike

Good plans for your graduation gift. Interesting info on this forum about most all your future mods. Don't recall a folding rear brake pedal tip option though. Some with back-country wanderlust might add greater fuel capacity to their wish list. Otherwise nice bike as she sits, and with the planned list of improvements even better.
    In addition to the protection afforded by the hand guards there are also shorty folding hand levers that can deflect out of the way in a tip over.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-04-2017 at 02:57 PM.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Congrats on the new Bike. looks like its been taken care of pretty well over the years
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

It has the right filter with the four holes. The previous owner said he changed the oil about a month ago, and the oil came out pretty clean. The filter has some black sludge in one area with some metal shavings in it. Is this normal for a bike with 6300 miles on it? Maybe the filter was not cleaned well previously?

The metal shavings and sludge will diminish with each oil change
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!
    05-BMW1200GS- Rock Red 102k miles
    2013-TW200 - 5k- miles

Quote Originally Posted by slinger View Post
    .... Maybe the filter was not cleaned well previously?
    The proper technique for cleaning these pleated filters is to put some gas or kerosene in a shallow dish and use an old toothbrush to gently wash the pleats. More forceful methods will drive fine particles through the mesh. Then blow out with compressed air from the inside. And, no, this does not look out of line at all.
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Welcome - good looking bike and good set of plans. Not sure about your color plan - you may not be able to find it in Az
    Now:
    2016 TW 200
    2013 400 Honda Rancher
    2016 Honda 200 Recon (spare 4 wheeler)
    1971 Hodaka B Plus,first love
    John Deere 4200 compact - moves snow, tills and cuts grass
    Past:
    Kawasaki 500 H2 1971
    Honda Ascot FT500 1982
    Honda 250 XL

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links