Returning to the T-Dub after HIGHLY modded CRF250L
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Returning to the T-Dub after HIGHLY modded CRF250L

Returning to the T-Dub after HIGHLY modded CRF250L

Long story short: Owned 2 T dubs in the past (mine & wife's), and absolutely loved them. Put a smile on my face any time I rode one. Made the mistake of moving up to bigger bikes; In the end, they always ended up getting sold off. I live on the Northeast coast. Trails around here are very, very rocky, rooty and technically demanding. Most of the trails in my area are easier, and faster on a full suspension MTB vs. 300 lb. dual sport.

My last bike was a highly modified CRF250L. I cringe thinking about the amount of money and time I put into that bike. CRINGE. I had a great time modding it over the course of the 2 years that I owned it, and it was a vastly superior bike out on the road, in some (notably suspension - thanks RaceTech - throttle response - thanks EFI - and a bit of power), but not all respects (the T-Dub is a lot more nimble, IMHO, and easier to throw around in the corners and when riding urban assault).

I picked up my 2016 T-Dub last Saturday. I had the chance to get out on my new steed a few times this past week and came back from tonight's ride, a 25 degree finger freezer, thoroughly enthralled with my purchase. I will never make the mistake of selling my T-Dub again (unless it's to buy a new one).

I've owned a few different dual sport bikes over the years, the most recent being a DR650 and a highly modded CRF250L. I went hog wild modding the Honda: Racetech suspension front and rear, fuel controller, speedometer corrector, aftermarket exhaust, airbox mods, 3.3 gallon tank... and that's just the short list. The bike was incredibly smooth on the road, especially with the 17/19" Warp 9 wheel set and semi-street tires I ran on it most of the time. GREAT bike on the road, although I will admit that I really hated the lack of top end; NO mod could address that issue. The power that it did have was all low end and mid range, and from there... it just flat lined. I love how the little T-Dub keeps on pulling in the upper rev ranges where the Honda would fall FLAT on it's face. I can think of an adult themed parallel that I could insert here for comparison's sake, but this is a family show, so I'll keep it PG.

At 320 lbs. and a much higher center of gravity, the CRF250L was simply a grossly underpowered pig off road though. Not NEARLY as bad as my old DR650, but a pig none-the-less, especially when compared to our beloved TW200. My ride tonight confirmed this fact. I ran a few errands, gassed up and then hit the woods for a little stealth run through some of the main trails I ride when mountain biking close to home.

The short of it: The T-Dub RIPS! The super low center of gravity and tractor like engine just allowed me to power through everything. I had to baby the CRF in the super rocky areas; not so with the T-Dub. Despite the archaic suspension, which really wasn't that bad at all as long as I was standing, I was able to HAMMER that little bike. It took everything I threw at it with ease, despite a constant pace of 20 - 30 mph through very rocky, rooty terrain, and even made power sliding in the sandy corners possible! That big old tire up back just HOOKS up and stays glued in places where the CRF would get squirmy and force me to hit the brakes.

I'll tell you... a second bike is most certainly in my near future as my wife is already asking me when its her turn to ride. The WR250R is the other bike I've always loved (and wished I purchased in place of the CRF250L), and have wanted to buy since about 2010. I figured it would make a great compliment to the T-Dub for longer rides that included a little highway time and a lot more fast paced fire road and ST work. After tonight's ride, I have to wonder... perhaps a 2nd T-Dub is in order.

There's just something about these bikes that you don't find anywhere else. I've never owned a bike that is so under-powered, so poorly sprung, so archaic and yet SOOOOO fun and easy to ride. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I roll out. I truly believe that it's one of the best all round small displacement motorcycles on the planet and am so very happy to have one back in the stable again!!!

Yep I may own other bikes but I will never sell another TW200. I need one more too!

I ride with a bunch of CRF250s. I should copy and paste this to our local page. I'll probably get stoned to death. LOL
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm thinking I'll be owning at least 1 TW until I'm unable to ride. Hopefully a long ways off.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I just LOVE them. It's one of those things; you either "get it" or you don't. My brother, and a couple of other friends who ride KTMs, snicker at my affinity for the T-Dub. Oh well... they are already hard enough to find, especially used (the two I sold netted me what I paid for them after years of ownership and thousands of miles logged!), so better for those of us in the know I suppose

BTW: I just noticed you are up in North Bay? Great spot! I was up in Huntsville/Muskoka racing back in '08. One of my all time favorite race locations. Wish I was still racing so I could go back!
    Peterb and littletommy like this.

LOL! Go for it! As far as I'm concerned, for rough trail riding, the T-Dub is a lot faster, and more nimble, than the CRF250L; even a HIGHLY modified one. Wish I could compare it to a WR250R! Have always lusted over that bike, but have never owned or even ridden one.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    I'm thinking I'll be owning at least 1 TW until I'm unable to ride. Hopefully a long ways off.
    I'm right there with you!
    littletommy likes this.

BTW: I just noticed you are up in North Bay? Great spot! I was up in Huntsville/Muskoka racing back in '08. One of my all time favorite race locations. Wish I was still racing so I could go back!

Well you can always come back for some trail riding.
    littletommy likes this.

I might have to do just that one of these years. When I was up there, I just wanted to keep going North. I loved the never ending forest way up in those parts.
    littletommy and Tweaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJRM View Post
    It's one of those things; you either "get it" or you don't.
    I could not agree more!
    littletommy likes this.
    -13 TW200
    -08 DRZ400s
    -08 Roadstar warrior
    -15 Sherco ST 3.0
    -08 Aprilia Tuono
    -Missing my DR650 a little bit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links