Well, now I've done it... Wish me luck! - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Well, now I've done it... Wish me luck!

Simply awesome!

and... Happy birthday!

Breakfast at nice mom-and-pop, shooting, and a new bike. You know how to have fun lol!
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200; 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX 331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    Bidding on one of two from Public Surplus, Auction #1799058 - 1996 Yamaha Motorcycle

This is the one with more miles, but no damage. The other one has a dented tank and broken brake lever/mirror holder - easy enough to fix, but I was afraid if I bid on both, with my luck, I'd set it high enough to win both and really be in trouble!
    Good trouble...small stakes. Could flip em for same money if you had to. Especially in fall hunting season, crazy TW demand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Some must watch while others must sleep.
    2013 TW 200
    2014 NC700x
    2016 k1600gt
    2016 TW 200

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    The only thing better than a TW200....is 2 of them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Some must watch while others must sleep.
    2013 TW 200
    2014 NC700x
    2016 k1600gt
    2016 TW 200

Just got back from picking up the FNG. As expected, he's going to need some work to become road worthy. Here are some pics.

NewGuy_BagOfStuff.jpg
    BAG OF HOLDING
    I was surprised they left the little "Bushwhacker" tail bag on the bike. It's a bit floppy now, but no big deal. I can cut up a small trashcan to act as wall supports to make it perk up again. The bag is still in decent shape. No need to trash it. Inside were some of the original tools, a broken clutch lever, and what appears to be the reflector from the tail light. This will probably be pulled off to be properly measured for refurbishment.

NewGuy_damage.jpg
    DROPPED DAMAGE
    Looks like I'll have to take off the shift lever to try to bend it back into place. I'm hoping a little persuasive percussion adjustment will be all that's necessary to put things right again. I didn't take too close a look at the rear turn signal, though. It probably just has a screw loose. It will feel right at home here.

NewGuy_HandGrips.jpg
    GOTTA GET A GRIP
    One thing that will absolutely be changed is the grips. These are sticky blech! But I'll also be replacing the handlebars because these are bent ever-so-slightly... not enough to be unusable, but definitely enough to be noticed.

NewGuy_Engine.jpg
    FAIRLY CLEAN MACHINE
    The engine actually looks pretty good on first glance. It's fairly clean, no real rust to speak of beyond the discolored muffler pipe. And even the stock bash plate looks okay. I'll be doing an oil change before running it just in case, though.

So, to sum up everything I think I'll need to do just to get it running:
    1. New battery
    2. Oil Change
    3. New tire tubes
    4. Rebend shifting lever

Things I'll upgrade to once I'm sure it's running reliably:
    1. Renthal ATV high bars (anyone have a good link to these?)
    2. New Grips
    3. New Mirrors
    4. Brush Guards
    5. Wide Foot Pegs
    6. Clarke XT350 tank (off of my other bike, Frank - he'll get a new black one)
    7. LED blinkers & tail light
    8. Cyclops LED headlight
    9. New front tire (Kenda K270 or Shinko SR244)

Waddya think? Can y'all think of anything else I should do?
    Ken, littletommy, admiral and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Visiting Mountain Redbelly in San Jose, CA
    Nice Luv!!

What's with the 3 wheeler in the pic? Your's?
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Nice Luv!!

What's with the 3 wheeler in the pic? Your's?
    Yep. That's my "big scooter", a Piaggio MP3 500. It's a blast to ride (when it's running). The maintenance on it is pretty intense, though. It currently needs a trip to the shop to get running again. That will have to wait until I sell the Nomad and Blur 220i (with me luck with that). With those two gone, I'm hoping I can trade the MP3 in as a down payment on an URAL Patrol or Gear Up (I want the 2WD). My ultimate goal is to narrow down the fleet to bikes that can be used in the tour group. So the TWs are definite savers. And the URAL can be used for folks that want to travel with the group, but cannot drive their own bike (like handicap folks).
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

"Waddya think? Can y'all think of anything else I should do?".

Add a Ricochet skid plate or the like. Also a cycle rack would be cool, if you care to spend the money. Then of course there's replacing the stock mirrors with a single (one side) www.procycle.us fold-down unit (they are brilliant!). I'd personally go for the inexpensive NON-LED mini (bendable/flexible) turn signals from Procycle. Consider changing the gearing if it would benefit your philosophy of use for this particular bike. Maybe consider one of the ultra-light batteries (although that's getting spendy if the bike isn't right yet...). Check the brakes and change the brake fluid (and consider a new brake line - possibly stainless steel braided - , as it's not a young machine), maybe even a new master cylinder if it needs it. Check the tension on the wheel spokes (properly tensioned spokes in trued wheels won't bend or break). Go through all other regular maintenance items since you don't know what it's been through. Hmm. Anything else...anything else? I feel like I'm not being thorough enough, haha
    LuvNot and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Past rides: 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX 331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    Yep. That's my "big scooter", a Piaggio MP3 500. It's a blast to ride (when it's running). The maintenance on it is pretty intense, though. It currently needs a trip to the shop to get running again. That will have to wait until I sell the Nomad and Blur 220i (with me luck with that). With those two gone, I'm hoping I can trade the MP3 in as a down payment on an URAL Patrol or Gear Up (I want the 2WD). My ultimate goal is to narrow down the fleet to bikes that can be used in the tour group. So the TWs are definite savers. And the URAL can be used for folks that want to travel with the group, but cannot drive their own bike (like handicap folks).
    Hmm. I've not seen good things regarding those Urals' reliability. Have you read up on them much? If your heart's set on it, then by all means...but I'd personally trust one of the Urals about as far as I could throw it with my pinky finger, lol...

Here's a little sample of the Russian machines', uhh, hard earned reputation, if you've not seen this sort of stuff before.

http://quickthrottle.com/2014-ural-m...car-right-box/

On top of that, the new ones are 17 grand...you can buy just about anything with that (ATV's or side by sides).
    Last edited by kj7687; 03-18-2017 at 01:22 AM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links