Need Reassurance - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Need Reassurance

All the things your learning? Priceless!!!

even if you bought a new bike, the new bike price isn't where it stops. i bought a new bike in 2014 and i think i have spent another $2000.00 on it. mostly unneeded, but now the way i want it
    Greg
    2014 TW200
    2016 bolt
    1981 honda ct110
    1973 honda ct90

Unneeded!!? There is no such thing!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    If you are enjoying what you are doing, there is no way to put a price on that.

I just keep telling Susan that this could be heroin instead of bikes. She said, at least I'd be skinnier.

Cannot ever win with her...

Face it Smitty, you're still hooked... haha

***and you are pretty lucky to have a gal that lets you have 3 or 4 thousand bikes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    If you are enjoying what you are doing, there is no way to put a price on that.

I just keep telling Susan that this could be heroin instead of bikes. She said, at least I'd be skinnier.

Cannot ever win with her...
    Smitty Blackstone and grewen like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTerrible View Post
    So I made a big mistake adding up all the parts I have purchased...including the price of the bike and the inspection that will be needed when the bike is complete and wondering if it is really worth it. Need some reassurance that I am doing the right thing rebuilding/restoring a 1998 TDub That I paid $350CAD with 3800kms on the clock.

List of purchases and work that I have completed:

TW34 and SR241 new tires - installed and balanced
    new front/rear bearings - installed myself
    fork seals and dust covers - installed myself
    new front/rear spockets
    new chain
    seat purchased from this site
    right footpeg bracket from this site
    7" round headlight bucket - still need a lens and bulb
    new throttle cables
    new hand leavers
    new throttle tube
    new hand grips
    steering stem bearings - installed by me
    Used crf125 ( I think) handlebars
    XT350 tank - TW's is dented and rusty
    need fuel cap
    new LED signal lights
    New aftermarket Speedo
    New left/right side cover gaskets
    o-rings for neutral/shifter
    new oil filter

That is all I can remember off the top of my head.
    I know I shouldn't even be second guessing myself because it's too late to do so but just looking for reassurance that it is worth it.

Jim

Please Please Please, make sure you have the correct OIL FILTER, would be a shame to see all this great work go to waste.

BTW: don't forget your Jimbo Shield
    Founders for militia definition: ..[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.” The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788. No founder is on record arguing with this definition - many support it. Then there's Patrick Henry: "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.

Gen:27:3

I will tell you from experience there is absolutely no benefit in rebuilding a TW basket case unless and only if you are doing it for yourself and to keep and ride it. You might be in OK shape considering you paid next to nothing for the bike to begin with. If you are doing it right as it appears you are you will have more money in it than you could sell it for when you are finished so the benefit comes in your enjoying both doing the work and riding it for a few years.

I began my affair with TWs as a buyer and flipper after I fixed them up. Being anal and somewhat of a perfectionist I could not re sell a bike until I was confident it was right, running well and absolutely safe to pass on. TWs are a great platform to start with because there are so many parts available and so many that are interchangeable throughout the 30 years life span of these models. Note that I did not say parts are cheap. Consider it both a labor of love and a learning experience and most of all just do it right the first time or you end up doing it again. As an example, when you have the side cover off to replace the front sprocket you just automatically replace the gasket and the seals while you are in there or you get to do it again at twice the cost.

GaryL
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

When you ride it, you'll know everything is right and you have a trusty, slightly rusty, steed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Some must watch while others must sleep.
    2013 TW 200
    2014 NC700x
    2016 k1600gt
    2016 TW 200

I took your advice at the very beginning and changed the seals and the bearing when I changed the sprocket. I did have two other bikes, a brand new DR650 and a theft recovered FZ1 previous to the TW. As I was about to be a father for the first time I sold both those bikes and purchased this TW as I feel it was a much safer bike that I couldn't get into too much trouble with. I have yet to even ride the TW yet but getting excited for it to be put on the road and that it will be the bike I have for years to come. I started this thread to give myself piece of mind that I wasn't wasting my time or money on it as I have spent a lot of both on it so far. I appreciate all the feedback/support and parts that everyone has supplied. Has helped me a bunch immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I will tell you from experience there is absolutely no benefit in rebuilding a TW basket case unless and only if you are doing it for yourself and to keep and ride it. You might be in OK shape considering you paid next to nothing for the bike to begin with. If you are doing it right as it appears you are you will have more money in it than you could sell it for when you are finished so the benefit comes in your enjoying both doing the work and riding it for a few years.

I began my affair with TWs as a buyer and flipper after I fixed them up. Being anal and somewhat of a perfectionist I could not re sell a bike until I was confident it was right, running well and absolutely safe to pass on. TWs are a great platform to start with because there are so many parts available and so many that are interchangeable throughout the 30 years life span of these models. Note that I did not say parts are cheap. Consider it both a labor of love and a learning experience and most of all just do it right the first time or you end up doing it again. As an example, when you have the side cover off to replace the front sprocket you just automatically replace the gasket and the seals while you are in there or you get to do it again at twice the cost.

GaryL

I did buy a new oil filter and pretty sure I bought the right one. Has been almost a year since I put it in but will have to double check. Thanks for the reminder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links