Like Tree14Likes
  • 8 Post By scotti158
  • 2 Post By boylstonrider
  • 2 Post By scotti158
  • 1 Post By Dryden-Tdub
  • 1 Post By scotti158

Thread: Risers

Risers

My stainless steel bolts finally arrived so I was able to get my homemade risers installed on the '96. On my '13, I also have a plate I fabricated that moves the bars forward 1.3". Wasn't able to use it on the '96 because of interference of the front brake cable and the D-Tusk hand guards. Tried various cable routing paths but just wasn't confident the cable would slide through the guides freely with suspension movement. Even without the "forward" plate I had to turn the cable guides around to face toward the front of the bike. Disc brake hoses are so much easier to deal with! 1-3/4 rise makes a lot of difference, even without moving them forward.

Before

1.JPG

After
    A little chunky but the price was right!!

2.JPG
    Last edited by scotti158; 03-20-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Cool they look good..I just put powermadd 1.6 riser blocks on my TW last night. They will help me when in the standing position for sure..
    littletommy and scotti158 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    My stainless steel bolts finally arrived so I was able to get my homemade risers installed on the '96. On my '13, I also have a plate I fabricated that moves the bars forward 1.3". Wasn't able to use it on the '96 because of interference of the front brake cable and the D-Tusk hand guards. Tried various cable routing paths but just wasn't confident the cable would slide through the guides freely with suspension movement. Even without the "forward" plate I had to turn the cable guides around to face toward the front of the bike. Disc brake hoses are so much easier to deal with! 1-3/4 rise makes a lot of difference, even without moving them forward.

2.JPG
    My wood testbed risers looked almost like yours...except they were would. I was pretty cautious on my test ride with the sketchy wood blocks. You did the right thing by not going down the wood block path!

It's kind of satisfying to make something on your own...and it works! Nice job! Two up!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post

Before

1.JPG

After

2.JPG
    Kind of curious, do you get any movement or shifting with the bottoms being flat. Mine aren't homemade but drop down into the clamps. See the pic. I thought about doing something like but was worried about movement under tough conditions.

Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Quote Originally Posted by Deepseadan View Post
    Kind of curious, do you get any movement or shifting with the bottoms being flat. Mine aren't homemade but drop down into the clamps. See the pic. I thought about doing something like but was worried about movement under tough conditions.

I have had them on my '13 for a few years. So far, no movement, even after a couple of wipe outs.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

Didn't really care for the looks of my homemade risers just sitting on top of the handlebar mount so I went ahead and put the stainless plate under them similar to my '13. Should give them better support also. Went from looking "chunky" to "rugged utilitarian".

'96 without plate

2.JPG

'96 with plate

96.JPG

'13 with forward mount and risers

13.JPG
    admiral and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

That forward mounting plate looks tailor made for a digital tachometer/clock!

Tom
    scotti158 likes this.
    Never, in the history of mankind, have lives, less lived, been so well chronicled.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    That forward mounting plate looks tailor made for a digital tachometer/clock!

Tom
    When I had the heated grips, that was the controller mount. Does look kinda empty there now.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

Sponosred Links