How old should a child be to ride as a passenger on/off road?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: How old should a child be to ride as a passenger on/off road?

I have looked into this some regarding age, and it seems like many states do not have a minimum age requirement. What are some of the requirements you all have set in place before you allow your children to be a passenger? Im not interested in long trips, just maybe some short excursions to go fishing or check trail cameras. A mix of street and trail. Curious to see what people have to say, Thank you.
    Ken likes this.

i started my son at 6 years old... off road. old enough to able to hang on, look around and enjoy it, and still remember to hang on. i'm not sure at what age i'd feel comfortable on slab.
    littletommy, Ken and Tweaker like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I don't remember the ages that my sons were, but when they were small they sat in front of me up by the tank and held onto the crossbar of the handlebars. You have to be careful where their legs and feet are if your bike has a high pipe. When they got bigger and were able to reach the passenger pegs and hold on to me, they sat behind me.

If you don't comfortable about their safety, then they are probably not ready yet.
    littletommy, Mel, Ken and 3 others like this.
    site:tw200forum.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My daughter has been riding her atv on her own since she turned 5, and she loves riding on the back of my tw in the yard. She just turned 6 and I started thinking it would be cool to buzz across town to take her fishing in the places I grew up spending most of my summers. She can reach the passenger foot pegs, and I feel like she is ready. We are talking probably 10 miles of 35mph road (each way), and the rest is trails. Im more worried about what people around town might perceive as dangerous I guess. Don't want to get into trouble. Thanks for the replys so far.
    Tweaker, STW_TW200 and ejfranz like this.

I believe the only law in Oregon is that only one passenger is allowed and they must have feet on the pegs. Most people don't worry about seeing a child on the back of a bike if they have a helmet on. 6 years old seams appropriate.
    Spawner and Smitty Blackstone like this.

I take my daughter for rides sometimes back and forth to school. She's 8 and loves it. It's only a 1.5 miles and I usually only cruise through housing tracks. I would never let her ride with anyone but me though, and I'd never go out on the main streets. I also used to take my son on the back of my bikes when he was around 5, but he used to fall asleep behind me, even on a couple minute rides. So watch for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Riding off road with someone on back seems slightly less than safe to me, regardless of age. Not sure I'd ever do that.

My Chihuahua Katy was riding at 6 months. She's rarin to go this year already!!

LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

I think there are only a few states that have age limits for passengers on a motorcycle. You will have to look up your state. As stated before the normal restriction is only that they wear a helmet, some require them to reach the foot pegs. I think both of these would be common sense for any child any way, specially on any normal road. I have driven my son around the block in the neighborhood starting when he was about 5 (my wife was not comfortable with this by the way). As far as the glares that you might get from other people, that is absolutely going to happen.
    2006 TW200, Shinko 244 4.60-18 Front Tire, Bridgestone TW34 180/80-14 Rear Tire, Cyclerack Rear Rack, Jimbo Windscreen, Krator Footpegs, Coleman Seat Cover, GPS

Hypothetically, you could strap a car seat to the back rack and possibly avoid the whole feet on the footpeg deal!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links