TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

taking my TW overseas - what parts should I take with me?

2K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Tuber 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have really enjoyed reading through all the old threads to get some good ideas. I just got my new 2016 TW200 last week and it has been a blast to ride.

I bought the TW to take with me overseas, as I will be transferring for work in just a few months. It will be a two year assignment in a developing country with very poor infrastructure.

I basically need to take everything with me to maintain and repair the bike for two years. I'm hoping you can help me identify all the parts and special tools (if any) that I will need there.

Here's my starting list:

1. spare front tire
2. spare rear tire
3. oil filters
4. oil
5. fuel filters
6. various bulbs

What am I missing? What tends to go out first when being daily driven?

Thanks so much! I love this forum so far.

-Justin

See less See more
#3 ·
I would put an O or X ring chain on it before you leave the stock chains will destroy your sprockets at around 5000 miles. Also turn your pilot screw out 2,5 turns before you go.
Seafoam gas treatment
tools, feeler gauges, JIS bits, torque wrench, etc

#8 · (Edited)
One or two spare air filters. A spare pair of grips. Several spare gaskets for the oil filter cover, drain plug and valve covers. Get a new AGM or lithium battery before you go and that should last the duration of your trip. I would also add a quality DC plug with USB charging port. Third world countries have very unreliable power sources but your bike with a high quality battery installed should keep your devices charged nicely. Do not skimp on the battery or charger.

Tom

#9 ·
no need for a check book - where you go likely no parts to buy anyway for the TW. Good choice that TW. Reliable and trustworthy. The responses are all great and most helpful. Change oil/filters frequently. Spark plug and chain might be good to have even though you'll likely be back before you would ever need a replacement. Good luck, enjoy your stay, your rides and, most of all, stay safe out there ... PS: Helmet and gloves, HD chain or steel cable and HD pad lock!!!

#11 ·
Change the air in the tires as soon as you get there from the American PSI stuff to the Kg PSI air found in most foreign countries.:p

I would change the stock front tire right now over to a better one than the death wing and load both front and rear tubes with Ride On balance and sealer fluid.

Where you are going and the accessibility to fresh fuel will be important in this adventure. I would have a rear Cycle rack for sure on the bike before it travels and of course a DID X ring chain on new sprockets.

The major problem with doing what you are doing is in the details. You can bring all the spare parts as noted above but going strictly by Murphy's Law, the part that fails will be one you never considered. TWs are a very reliable bike but at any time a "Watch A Ma Call It" could fail and leave you stranded. I would be highly concerned with the fuel system and the types of fuels you will have in foreign countries, Real gasoline or will it be E-10, E-15 or some other ethanol blend these bikes were never designed to run with. I think I would want a brand new carb in the box along with the boot from the carb to air filter box because a very high percentage of the issues we hear have everything to do with the fuel delivery system.

Wishing you much luck and can't wait to hear where you are going and hope you keep us updated along the way.

GaryL

#12 ·
It will really help if you tell us which country you are going to, if you are going to Africa there is a Yamaha dealership in nearly every country on this continent AND then there is also the services of the friendly DHL, FEDEX and USPS couriers that will ship any part that you need to you from the US to Africa or nearly any other 3rd world country in the world.

#14 ·
Sorry, I should have mentioned in the original post where I'm headed. I'm being posted to Havana, Cuba.

I'm absolutely sure there are no Yamaha shops there!

I'll be able to make the short flight to Miami every couple of months and can pick up things that would fit in a suitcase. Big items like racks and tires need to go in my sea shipment, along with the bike.

Good suggestions so far.

One (probably stupid) question - is changing the chain myself an easy task? What kind of chain tool would you recommend?

#15 ·
WOW, Communist Cuba, almost as bad as here in NY! Not casting any negative aspersions on the Cuban people but I would want a really stout chain and lock with me where ever I went on that Island. They have been off the grid since the late 50s early 60s and I will bet a nice new TW would be a real prize in the seedier underground.

In answer to your question regarding the chain, Yes and NO! It all depends upon your level of mechanical ability, How much time you have and how deep your wallet is. I think if you have a decent dealer you bought the bike from you could be best served by buying the DID X ring chain from him and paying to put it on your bike. You will probably pay a little more this way but it is one more thing off your list and we have no idea when you are shipping out. A chain is a simple change for some and a real PITA for others so only you know abilities and if it is worth trying to save $20-$30 trying to DIY. Ringed chains can test your skills and buying the good tool will cost more than the labor.

One plus you have in Cuba is there are a lot of very competent mechanics well versed in working on Old School bikes and cars such as the TW really is. Some of those guys know more about 50s and 60s cars than most Americans.

GaryL

#17 ·
I think you've got lots of advice about spare parts so I don't want to make the list longer.
If there is a suggestion that I agree 100% is the one from GaryL. Take a good lock/chain to be safe. I visited the island early 90's, I know it was a long time ago, lots of rain since then, Fidel C is gone but I have to say even though I met extremely nice and friendly people I met sketchy ones willing to do whatever it takes to get a few $$$$$, nobody want to hear details.
Anyway, I hope you will have a great time in such a beautiful place, I can't wait to see pics of you with the TW.

#22 ·
Damn, You just had to go and ask another "What Oil" question.

I will bow out of this one right after I say Mobil 1 4T racing oil for motorcycles with a wet clutch in 10 W 40. We have some here who will say Baby Oil, Olive Oil and just about any other personal lubricant you might imagine but I just say what I know works.

GaryL

#24 ·
My friend and I were both supposed to move to Cuba to supply Diesel engine service and parts .My friend moved down 6 months before I was supposed to join him ,he brought 7 containers of parts ,two Harley choppers and his airplane .They wouldn't allow him to use the Harley's ,so he bought an old suicide shift one local and ran it around .One night his headlight went out in between towns ,and he hit a boulder the size of a volleyball on the road and fell off of the bike .He was able to get back up and ride to the next town where he died before the doctor arrived to help him .I suggest you check if your bike is allowed ( his were not ) ,and that you pack some good lighting and a spare bulb or two at the least .

#25 ·
wow, sorry about your friend.

luckily i'll be going down for the US gubmint and they're taking care of my shipment. the cuban government lets us import a bike for personal use so long as it's less than 3 years old (hence me buying a new one, otherwise i'd have saved $$ and done the DIY route).

#27 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have really enjoyed reading through all the old threads to get some good ideas. I just got my new 2016 TW200 last week and it has been a blast to ride.

I bought the TW to take with me overseas, as I will be transferring for work in just a few months. It will be a two year assignment in a developing country with very poor infrastructure.

I basically need to take everything with me to maintain and repair the bike for two years. I'm hoping you can help me identify all the parts and special tools (if any) that I will need there.

Here's my starting list:

1. spare front tire
2. spare rear tire
3. oil filters
4. oil
5. fuel filters
6. various bulbs

What am I missing? What tends to go out first when being daily driven?

Thanks so much! I love this forum so far.

-Justin

depends on what country, many of those places use the motorcycle as the main transport. But the TW is not exported all over, so things like the odd tire size could be a problem. light bulbs and such you could find, along with chains

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.