Miles per tank? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Miles per tank?

If you are doing the TAT, do yourself a favor and buy some peace of mind by going with a big XT350 tank. The extra fuel will make the trip more enjoyable because you'll have the confidence to take your time, take the detours, explore a little more, and just not worry if you'll have the fuel to spare. Save the Rotopack for more important things like water. Removing the fear of running out of gas will make the trip less stressful - and according to my cousin (who did it on a CBR650 - yes, a sports bike - she IS the crazy one in the family), there are enough spots of deep sand and rough roads and seemingly infinite desert stretches that having one less thing to worry about is worth the investment.

Good luck! Hope you have a blast.

P.S. - if you want an entertaining preview of the trail and see my crazy cousin conquer it on a sports bike, check out Pursuit Horizon | Pursuit Horizon - A Motorcycle Adventure Documentary
    Last edited by LuvNot; 04-17-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Bone dry got 156 miles
    Founders for militia definition: ..[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.” The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788. No founder is on record arguing with this definition - many support it. Then there's Patrick Henry: "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.

Gen:27:3

So on our Moab trip on the way home we did the Notom rd to Burr trail. We started at Torrey outside of Capital Reef NP. After going down Notom rd to the Waterpocket Fold and Burr trail and up the switch backs and down that beautiful canyon to Bolder we went up Bolder mt back to Torrey Utah. Elevation was from 4400 to 8700 ft. Our bikes with 55t back sprokets and fat jetting were hitting reserve at 67- 73 miles. Total mileage for the trip was 146 we could have gotten gas at Boulder but knew we had enough to get back. We carry 2-1.75 roto paks that can hold 2 gal 1 pak each. I figure we have a conservative 190+ mile range with those not counting a reserve. These figures were with one 10lb bag on top of my Roto pak. Speeds were 50% @25 mph and 50% 45-50 mph. Don't forget to consider weight and terrain in your range expectations. I reloaded the stock tanks twice. A big tank is nice but for most of our riding the stock tank works and the roto paks give piece of mind and range to go long.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 04-17-2017 at 11:16 PM.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Figure on about 70 miles per gallon to be safe. A Clarke XT 350 natural color tank holds 4 gallons so you should go around 280 miles on a full tank and you will be able to see how much gas is in the tank right through the natural color. All bets are off on the 70 MPGs if you are blasting hard or carrying a lot of extra weight.

GaryL
    Tweaker, cowboyjeff and Ken like this.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

I think I must have been running on fumes. I know I was a little worried by my OD reading. Thankfully we carry an extra 1.25gal. But I did make it to the gas station in Forks without having to use it.

admiral, elime, Fred and 2 others like this.
    Founders for militia definition: ..[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.” The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788. No founder is on record arguing with this definition - many support it. Then there's Patrick Henry: "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.

Gen:27:3

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post
    I think I must have been running on fumes. I know I was a little worried by my OD reading. Thankfully we carry an extra 1.25gal. But I did make it to the gas station in Forks without having to use it.

I have gotten just over 2 gallons in my tank and it wasn't out of gas dry. There was still a little bit left. A very little bit.
    Tweaker and Ken like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

If carrying much bulky gear on the TAT be prepared to occasionally get much worse fuel mileage than on a typical day's excusion. By neccesity you may have to eat some serious headwinds, power sapping sand, or sustained high speed where aerodynamic drag can really suck up the fuel.
    Sounds like a good adventure irregardless of the total fuel on board.
    Tweaker and Ken like this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I have gotten just over 2 gallons in my tank and it wasn't out of gas dry. There was still a little bit left. A very little bit.
    so poking that hole is almost equivalent to the stock reserve of .3g?

i should get my hammer and punch out.
    Fred and admiral like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

On two of our Moab rides one bike ran crappie after over filling two different tanks on two days. It took me two trips to figure it out. At high speed there was a miss untill the level went down. At lower speed it wasn't a problem. Maybe that hole breaks up a vacuum.

Plus we had very high winds on that burr trail ride all day.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 04-18-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    Ken likes this.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Are you doing the full TAT?
    I'd like to ride it myself. There are a few things I need to settle first, like moving. Then one day I'll have to call my wife from the trail letting her know I will be a month late for dinner and not to make a plate
    Elvesus, Mattwings, Ken and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links