Miles per tank?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Miles per tank?

Miles per tank?

I plan to take my (new to me) 2013 TeeDub on the TransAmerica Trail in June. One of the big considerations is the number of miles between gas stations out west. I think I have to go 160 miles a time or two. So I am wondering the average miles per tank of gas. I carried a gas can with me once and got 154, after going on reserve at 107 miles. That's the only time I have run it dry. Other times I have gone to reserve about 90, so I figure that would be a 140 mile tank. Obviously, I will have to carry extra gas, but I am hoping to make it with just two 30 oz MSR bottles in tool tubes. So far that looks doable. But I would hate to run out in the middle of nowhere. What is your experience?
    littletommy and Ken like this.

120 to 130 miles on a stock tank but that is stretching it.
    Last edited by elime; 04-17-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

conditions matter, depends on your speed and load. i assume on the trail you're in low to mid gearing, better mpg than slab at 55-60. i would want more than just two mrs bottle when being that far out.

think of getting a bigger tank. a OEM xt225 tank gives you an extra 1/2 gallon while an xt350 gives you more than a gallon of useable gas. the clark tanks give you a variety of choices, again the two xt tanks and the tw200.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Aesthetically, the XT225 tanks works well, especially if you include the “spoiler” thingies (though they’ve been known to “jump ship” in the rough)

Even so, I’d feel a lot more comfortable with a gallon on the back as well

That extra gallon on the rear means you can help someone else out if you come across them dry – (spent too many miles running on fumes to take the chance anymore)

If rear weight bothers you, fill the front tank when appropriate - wont be long before you have the space ......
    littletommy, Rockit and Ken like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

I agree with joeband. If you are going to crunch serious miles on the TW = TW needs a bigger tank. It will ease your mind and double your time / distance between fuel stops.

I have the stock tank and constantly planning the next fuel stop.

My 1991 gets approx 130 miles per tank if driven easily on gravel roads.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

If you want to keep the OEM tank - try adding an aux fuel tank. The Acerbis I use is 1.6 gallons - doubles the range. They are easy to install / remove for when you need the range.

pics here:
    Budget Panniers Test - Fun Trip to Target
    littletommy, Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Bigger tank!!

Welcome to the forum!!
    Ken likes this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

S miles per tank, Fixed it for ya.

The first guy to do that trail alone on two wheels and not detour the Darian Gap by boat used an 800 cc BMW. I met him and his ride in 1993 at a BMW
    national. I also bought his book about the trip. He was selling then off the back of his bike. He said the most important thing he needed for the trip
    was a working command of the Spanish language.
    Last edited by phelonius; 04-17-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    Phelonius

Make a little hole in the filler tube and you can squeeze a little more gas in the tank. Make the hole bigger than this one -- just trust me on that.

P9091174A.jpg
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

You will need a larger tank and a Rotopak. In one of the Oaklahoma legs we limped into a one station town with less tan 5 miles in tank after dumping the Rotopak in 1/2 of my tank 1/2 in my partners. We each had fuel tube left but it was closer than I liked. Even more distance to cover on a couple of the western legs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links