Shorai battery question
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Shorai battery question

Question Shorai battery question

I think my battery is on the way out. I have bought 3 batteries in the last 3 years. Two failed to hold a load after a few months and the third, a friend ruined with a battery charger he hooked up for me and accidently switched it to 6 volts.

Question is, are these really the best? I see they have a 5 year guarantee on their website. I'm tired having to go get batteries.

Can I use my regular charger? It charges from 0 to 1.5 amps.

I also read about cold weather starting and to let the battery warm up a little by leaving the headlight on for a little while before cranking it over. In my case, the headlight does not come on unless the engine is running, so that isn't an option.

These cost as much as the three batteries I bought over the last 3 years.

I do like the fact that they have many more cold cranking amps than the stockers and folks also say they crank over faster.

Opinions?

I'm looking at their #LFX09L2-BS12 Is this what you would use?
    Last edited by littletommy; 04-20-2017 at 05:14 AM. Reason: added battery number I'm looking at
    mhomadness and tree.bobby like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

I have one in each of our two tw's. They have been rock solid without a recharge for 4 years now?
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.

I also have had good results from the cheap old stock battery. I believe members here "charge" their batteries far more than necessary. My stock battery held up to four years "three full years of riding" while never seeing a heated garage or a battery charger. Furthermore, I believe that I can recondition that battery and get further life out of it in an emergency. I am going to document my results when I attempt to resuscitate that old battery providing all of the cells are still good.

Tom
    littletommy likes this.
    Never, in the history of mankind, have lives, less lived, been so well chronicled.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Tom
    Never, in the history of mankind, have lives, less lived, been so well chronicled.

One of the advantages of lifepo4 lithiums or most any lithium battery is they don't sulfate so there is no need to trickle charge. Another is it doesn't hurt the battery to sit in a partially discharged state whereas a Lead acid battery will sulfate reducing it's capacity. A third advantage is they have a fairly low rate of self discharge which means they can sit with out being charged for long periods of time. So this means you can let them sit over winter and still start your bike with out charging them. And unlike LA batteries their voltage stays high until the capacity is almost out which makes for excellent starting plus they have high current discharge rates until the end of capacity. Now add in a cycle life of 3 times longer. These are dramatic advantages. What are the disadvantages, you can kill them by over discharging them or running them all the way down. If you left your key on or some devise that drains them like a usb outlet could ruin them. Overcharging could damage them voltage over 15v. Most of these batteries have protection circuits in them to prevent these negatives. Another disadvantage is cost but the benefit to cost ratio is more than worth it. These batteries could easily last more than 7 years. In my mind it's a no brainer.
    littletommy, Fred and Rhodetrip like this.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, weld on foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Here is my .02. I personally do not think Shorai is the end all be all in batteries. I personally have found a couple of drawbacks that will probably keep me from buying another one. What i have found is these batteries do not like to have even the smallest amount of constant discharge. My Ducati is a prime example of this, the computer has a very small constant current that is measured in milliamps. When i had the Shorai in mine it would kill it in under two weeks of sitting. If i left it on a trickle charger the charger would never actually kick on unless i unplugged it and plugged it back in again. The only other recourse i had was to disconnect the battery but that is a pain and having to reset all the custom settings every time i rode it would be a total drag. The other big drawback was cold. Any time the temps dropped overnight the battery would not even light the bike. I know all about the "warmup" procedure but it was useless when the bike would not do anything. The Ducati has an all electronic ignition and it would not even light the dash, it was not a cranking issue but a stone cold dead issue. I literally experienced this having it sit overnight, i could ride all day, park it overnight and it was dead. After a few of these episodes it damaged the battery and Shorai would not warranty it so ~200 wasted and in the bin it went. It lasted a grand total of 3 months of use in that bike, i ended up going back to the stock battery since that worked fine for damn near 5 years before it died of old age.

That said i do have a Shorai in my TW that i ride and in that bike it works ok, not sure i would buy another but it works ok .That bike does not have a constant discharge so it can sit a while untouched and still crank the bike. My girlfriends TW has an Exide AGM battery in it and it works every bit as well as the Shorai at 1/3 the cost, cranks just as good and can sit for long periods of time without discharging. Her bike is not ridden frequently and it has never once been on a charger in 3 years. I just fired it up the other day after a long winters nap and it cranked with authority like it always does.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

My bike: 1997 TW200. Shorai LFX09L2-2002 BOMBARDIER DS50. installed Feb. 2012.

Never has been on a tender, ever. Bike is seldom rode, and often sits for a month or 3 without being moved, touched, etc.

Five years on now, it has never gone dead, cranks the engine over quickly weather hot or cold.

No acid to spill, no corroded cable ends. Just works!

Conclusion, Mike-E-Like-E! Nuf said. m.

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    Here is my .02. I personally do not think Shorai is the end all be all in batteries. I personally have found a couple of drawbacks that will probably keep me from buying another one. What i have found is these batteries do not like to have even the smallest amount of constant discharge. My Ducati is a prime example of this, the computer has a very small constant current that is measured in milliamps. When i had the Shorai in mine it would kill it in under two weeks of sitting. If i left it on a trickle charger the charger would never actually kick on unless i unplugged it and plugged it back in again. The only other recourse i had was to disconnect the battery but that is a pain and having to reset all the custom settings every time i rode it would be a total drag. The other big drawback was cold. Any time the temps dropped overnight the battery would not even light the bike. I know all about the "warmup" procedure but it was useless when the bike would not do anything. The Ducati has an all electronic ignition and it would not even light the dash, it was not a cranking issue but a stone cold dead issue. I literally experienced this having it sit overnight, i could ride all day, park it overnight and it was dead. After a few of these episodes it damaged the battery and Shorai would not warranty it so ~200 wasted and in the bin it went. It lasted a grand total of 3 months of use in that bike, i ended up going back to the stock battery since that worked fine for damn near 5 years before it died of old age.

That said i do have a Shorai in my TW that i ride and in that bike it works ok, not sure i would buy another but it works ok .That bike does not have a constant discharge so it can sit a while untouched and still crank the bike. My girlfriends TW has an Exide AGM battery in it and it works every bit as well as the Shorai at 1/3 the cost, cranks just as good and can sit for long periods of time without discharging. Her bike is not ridden frequently and it has never once been on a charger in 3 years. I just fired it up the other day after a long winters nap and it cranked with authority like it always does.
    Having said what I said above, I have to concur with jb882. The Lith battery will suffer from constant drain conditions. Many vehicles & other devices that use Lith batteries will have something that needs continual power, and the battery will only perform well if the device is used (and thus recharged) frequently, motorcycles included. Most TW's have no off condition drain, & so a lith battery will work well.

I also think it sucks that Shorai would not stand behind your failed battery. m.
    Last edited by mhomadness; 04-20-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    littletommy likes this.

Well here is my 3 cents worth...

If you TW charge voltage exceeds 14.9 I would not use one of these batteries.... The spec says 15.2 max but I would not like to push at or near spec...

If you charge voltage is at 14.8 or higher a Flooded Wet Cell battery is going to be boiling almost all the time the bike is running... That will eat a battery quite quick. Even an AGM can not handle a constant 14.8

I have not checked my TW charge voltage in quite a while and do not recall what that voltage was..

LFX09L2-BS12 - Shorai Lithium Batteries

SHORAI LFX Lithium-Iron Powersports battery, 9Ah PbEq 12V eq, "L" polarity, Case Type 2 Length 4.45" Width 2.28" Height 3.50" Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output.
    Jim
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

I do have an alarm on the bike which when on, drains it slowly.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links