New old guy - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: New old guy

Welcome aboard. I turned 68 last March and, also, enjoy the TW culture. It has gotten me into the old 60's bikes again. I am working on an "old school" patina Ace 100 Hodaka (rebuilt engine, trans, and forks but no new paint.) And, just this week a friend dropped off a 1966 Honda Trail 90 that needed awakening.
    Last edited by fishguy; 04-23-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    Welcome.
    Good luck on your search. They're out there but make sure you have cash on hand because they sell fast.
    True that!! Saw one was posted for sale at 12:48 pm, I contacted seller at 1:04 pm it's sold!! Boo
    Now the good. I found a 2013 with under 700 miles for sale. The seller had one offer and I told him I would pay his asking price 2850 if bike was as he stayed. Yay! Im not quite sure how or when I'll get it home though. It's near Nashville tn and I'm driving from Memphis on Sunday. I'm going there to scope out housing and business feasibility as I am moving from Memphis later this summer and Hendersonville is a potential candidate. So, I don't really want to pay the guy and leave the bike with him but it won't fit in my VW Golf. I'm thinking perhaps the local dealer will keep it for me if I give them a work order to install did x ring chain and Shinko front tire. I don't have any friends with a pickup so I could just rent one in a week or so to pick it up after they are done.

If I really like the area and make a decision on moving there end of June, I would just store it there somewhere like a mini storage place. Anyway I look forward to becoming a TW owner. As we know it may or may not be there. Guy might sell it before I arrive. Fingers Crossed!!!
    Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.

Welcome from a fellow newbie, age 67.

I live about 4 mi from the TN line, in N GA. Copperhill, TN is right up the road from me.

If you ever feel like heading this way, lots of logging/fire trails nearby.

Let me know.
    Howsbentley, Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Update!! Checked out and purchased 2013 with dead battery 638 miles on od. Now my challenge is getting it home. I'm in Memphis and bike is still with previous owner in Franklin TN.
    Can rent a pickup for a couple days for $200, add gas and hotel 1 night, meals and cost is getting close to having it shipped. I'm sure I'll figure out something. Ordered shorei battery and charger, helmet gloves etc and getting quite excited about become a tdub owner/member of this site. Peace love
    A.T.
    Will
    Post pic upon taking possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    littletommy, Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.

Congrats!
    Welcome from southern Nevada.
    That is 207 miles between Franklin and Memphis.
    Are there alternates to I40?
    Most I've done in one day is 160 miles and my tailbone was sore.

BTW, I got mine two months before 70th birthday.
    Recent M/C history
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883

For what it's worth, U-Haul's website says you can rent a trailer that'll fit the bike and potentially be towable by a VW golf for $64. Pick up in Franklin, Drop off in Memphis, and can have it for up to 2 days. Maybe add in the cost for a few ratchet straps, (many u-haul places will sell you a trailer hitch if your vehicle is capable, too) and you might be able to save a few dollars that way.

Just some food for thought.

Best of luck with your purchase!
    littletommy, Howsbentley and Ken like this.
    2004 Yamaha TW200 / 2007 HD Softail FXST / 2009 Buell 1125r

Quote Originally Posted by nerdrock View Post
    For what it's worth, U-Haul's website says you can rent a trailer that'll fit the bike and potentially be towable by a VW golf for $64. Pick up in Franklin, Drop off in Memphis, and can have it for up to 2 days. Maybe add in the cost for a few ratchet straps, (many u-haul places will sell you a trailer hitch if your vehicle is capable, too) and you might be able to save a few dollars that way.

Just some food for thought.

Best of luck with your purchase!
    Thanks Nerdrock, I'm nervous about pulling a trailer with a 1.8 liter -more specifically concerned about automatic transmission over heating. I suspect UHaul will tell me it's fine to pull a small trailer. I'll talk to my car guy and see what he thinks. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Peace love
    AT

Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Howsbentley View Post
    Thanks Nerdrock, I'm nervous about pulling a trailer with a 1.8 liter -more specifically concerned about automatic transmission over heating. I suspect UHaul will tell me it's fine to pull a small trailer. I'll talk to my car guy and see what he thinks. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Peace love
    AT

Good luck! consider this : The TW and a trailer will weigh EASILY less than 1,000 lbs (630 for the utility trailer, and 270 for the TW = 900). That's not much different than hauling a few fat people up a slight incline. A few search results showed people claiming to haul a small trailer with a couple dirt bikes with 1.8L Chevy Cobalts with no problems at all.

That said : Talking to a car guy you trust is the smartest move. Use internet strangers such as us for guidance and inspiration, but let the feasibility call fall on the shoulders of a man you can slap in the face if something goes sour

Can't wait for pictures!
    littletommy and Howsbentley like this.
    2004 Yamaha TW200 / 2007 HD Softail FXST / 2009 Buell 1125r

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links