Tw parts worth
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Tw parts worth

Tw parts worth

I've got a 92 that's having some issues. It's not running well at all and after going through everything I can I took it to a mechanic. He hasn't gone through much yet but seems to think it will need quite a bit to get it going good again. So unless it's under $400 ish I'm going to try to sell it. It's only got 6200 miles and ran really good up until this point. I've got the original tank and a desert tank although the original isn't in the best shape. The plastic has all been painted but doesn't look too bad. The frame is in excellent condition and it has new tires sprockets and chain. So what is a bike that is in relatively good condition but doesn't run well worth? Would it be better to part it out or to just sell as is?
    jtomelliott49, Ken and cowboyjeff like this.
    1992 TW200 6300 miles. Supposed engine rebuilt by previous owner

I'll take the rear plastics and a rack if it has one
    Waymore, jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

rbm
    What's wrong with it?

Edit: I found your thread. What is the mechanic telling you?
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not sure yet rbm. It's doing a whole bunch of things so there could be several issues and he's going to call once he's figured out what exactly it needs
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

OK – so let’s look at this ……

Normally, a parts bike has most of its value in the frame and the things bolted onto it (minus the engine)

On your bike, all this is intact – it’s only the engine that’s “questionable” ….

Work out the value of the whole bike (eg what you would pay for it in your area if it was working fine) – and deduct $200

That’s what your bike is worth

Second hand engines start at $250 – and any missing engine parts you already have

My advice is to source another engine (for less than a mechanic is telling you your original engine will take to fix), and put it into your bike

If that works – fine – enjoy the ride

If not – relax – you now have two engines to make one good one – and the support of the “hive mind” on here to help you through it

Some of us on here have a lot of experience in ripping these engines apart – all you’ll need is a socket set and a digital camera – don’t forget that if we decide (from the pictures) that your top end has lunched, you can simply swap out the top end from the other engine. No need for complicated re-builds

With a single engine it can get expensive and complicated – with two engines, it becomes a lot easier

So – spend $250 bucks and keep it – or deduct $200 and sell it – your choice ……
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

I like Purple's advice. Keep it and fix/replace the engine.
    Ken, admiral, cowboyjeff and 1 others like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

If I do decide to replace the engine where should I look for a new one? Local classifieds turn up nothing and eBay I found a bottom end for 325 and top ends around 210-300. That's over $500 and if I could get $1000 out of the bike I could take that $500 add a little more and have a nicer bike that needs nothing. Am I not looking in the right places?
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Finding a serviceable engine for reasonable money might take quite a bit of time and effort. However having a paid mechanic fix the bike sounds expensive. Investing the time, shop space and tools to learn how to do the work necessary yourself must sound equally daunting. Ouch, feel your pain.
    One possible solution might be to go ahead and get the professional diagnosis and then with forum members advice and assistance effect the actual repairs yourself. Post pictures and ask for advice at each step in the repair process when in doubt. This is what I have done. I received help from the forum for which I am still very gratefull. Most issues have historical posts that explain things rather well.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

One of my main issues with a rebuild (aside from inexperience with rebuilding an engine) is I don't really have anywhere to do it. I have no garage or basement I can use and my house is small and I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me if I left my engine apart on the kitchen table haha
    Ken, cowboyjeff and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waymore View Post
    One of my main issues with a rebuild (aside from inexperience with rebuilding an engine) is I don't really have anywhere to do it. I have no garage or basement I can use and my house is small and I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me if I left my engine apart on the kitchen table haha
    You can rent a storage unit for 30 days or longer close to where you live. Also this will give you a good clean environment to do the work.
    Waymore, Ken, AGman and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links