TW on a GW Campervan - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: TW on a GW Campervan

Oh, yeah, right, you have to fully extend them to get the springs and spacers out then collapse them for the measurement. It's been a while since I did that...like 6 years. I never bothered with getting them vertical, I just slid my dowel down about in the middle of the side of the fork to touch the oil.
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Oh, yeah, right, you have to fully extend them to get the springs and spacers out then collapse them for the measurement. It's been a while since I did that...like 6 years. I never bothered with getting them vertical, I just slid my dowel down about in the middle of the side of the fork to touch the oil.
    It's been about 15 years since I had some forks apart and realized that I probably would F' something up if I tried to do anything to modify them. I used a local guy who works out of his garage and knows off-road racing suspension set ups well.
    Not expecting miracles yet on the TW as I'm tall and lanky so standing up to ride rough stuff is hard (I even have a tall seat on my KTM to make it less distance/effort to go from sit to stand).
    Love the little bike so far though - does just what I bought it for. Being a tinkerer though...
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

You are not taking the forks apart, merely removing the top caps, springs and spacers, adding a little oil and putting it back together. It's easier than changing a tire. Oh, and loosen the top pinch bolts a bit first, it makes unscrewing the top caps easier. Don't forget to re-torque them!!!
    Dryden-Tdub, jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You are not taking the forks apart, merely removing the top caps, springs and spacers, adding a little oil and putting it back together. It's easier than changing a tire. Oh, and loosen the top pinch bolts a bit first, it makes unscrewing the top caps easier. Don't forget to re-torque them!!!
    Hailey Idaho near Salmon and the Sawridge (?) mountains..? We rode somewhere there, on some really gnarly goat trail single track a few years ago.

Sawtooth. Yup, we got lots of gnarly single track!
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Sawtooth. Yup, we got lots of gnarly single track!
    We joined up with a big group ride there. Stayed in a place that had cabins, Tee Pees, coffee shop etc. Back in 2001 I think.
    I had a KDX220 and a guy that worked for me had a WR250. Rode from one valley over to the next valley to the west and back.
    I think A lot of guys were not expecting how technical the riding was. One guy from California had a Canondale 4 stroke.
    One guy lost some toes riding on single track with tall grass and rocks hiding in there. ''keep your toes up" was the lesson there. They could of sown them back on but apparently his fellow riders didn't realize that the toes were ripped off and laying back beside the trail.
    Another rider, on a RM250 2 stroke MX bike, had such a rough time in the technical sections and swore that he would never eat f'n Idaho potatoes again.
    Great ride and beautiful too.
    admiral and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    ....One guy lost some toes riding on single track with tall grass and rocks hiding in there......
    Ouch!! We grow rocks in the sagebrush along the single track just lurking for inattentive riders....I've bashed mine more than once, but my heavy MX boots saved my foot. I did, however, hit one that bounced my front tire off the trail and I went 10 feet downhill over the handlebars....I was real lucky not to get hurt, but it took an hour to get the T-dub back up on the trail by myself.
    Ken likes this.
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Ouch!! We grow rocks in the sagebrush along the single track just lurking for inattentive riders....I've bashed mine more than once, but my heavy MX boots saved my foot. I did, however, hit one that bounced my front tire off the trail and I went 10 feet downhill over the handlebars....I was real lucky not to get hurt, but it took an hour to get the T-dub back up on the trail by myself.
    This guy had work boots on and the rock tore the leather open - seeing that it was bleeding profusely the helpers stuffed the hole with some cloth and got him to the hospital asap.
    I had a similar incident when working for my brother in California (we are originally from England but emigrated to Canada in '66). He had a shop the did high performance Porsche work, specializing in Chevy V8 conversions. I was working on a 914 wiring the electric fan in the front 'boot' (and talking a customer at the same time) when one of fingers hit the back of the fan and since it was wired in reverse it chopped instead smacking.
    I got a high speed ride in a Porsche ambulance to a clinic in Whittier and there they asked "where is the rest of the finger"...
    The Porsche ambulance returned with part of the digit that had been cut and thrown over on to the fender well.
    All turned out ok except that finger is a bit curved at the end and I can't play some chords on the guitar the same. That was probably in the late 1980's.
    Ken likes this.

Heh. At least you don't have Django's problem!
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Heh. At least you don't have Django's problem!
    First World problems. If that is amoungst the worst stories I live to tell I count myself a lucky man.
    Tcruarceri likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links