New guy asking why TW200? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: New guy asking why TW200?

It's the people!

ronnydog
    TW-Brian, admiral, B-dub and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnydog View Post
    It's the people!

ronnydog
    For sure it is the people and following the TW enjoys but it is also the "Old School Appeal". A lot of us older guys grew up on bikes like Hodakas, Bultacos and some other old school machines that were low to the ground, light weight and under powered. They got us where we were going and because they were low they were pretty easy to handle. As an invincible kid I wanted more speed, more wheelie power and loud expansion chambers. These days and not quite as invincible as I once was I love the idea of blasting around on my old trails but I don't heal as quick and don't need to go as fast or wild, I just want to get there. The TW is a breath of fresh air with its fat tires and nimble handling. Not nearly as quick as my old two strokes but every bit as capable to go places my childhood bikes could never take me. It is a two wheeled tank and just about as bullet proof.

If you look around in these threads you will see most of us older guys making our TWs into pack mules. Many of the younger guys try to make TWs do what they were never designed to do, go fast. It is all good and some very interesting changes and modifications happen with this little bike. You can find solutions for just about any ride you want to take weather it be a weekend pack trip into the mountains for brook trout or a cross country jaunt through rural America. I can go where ever a big Harley can go but the Harley can't follow me! As long as the road I am on has no guard rails I can go up or down where ever it looks cool to explore. Other bikers only get to see the forest through the trees but I can go in to it.

GaryL
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

I wanted something that wouldn't tear up the trails in the woods here, was quiet, has lights, I can take to work in the warm weather, use as a pit bike at the Drag Strip, enough torque to haul my ass around the woods and on the back roads, and not break the bank. The TW is the logical equipment for the task.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Do you know what a stone boat is? Well the TW is a stone boat.

a neighbor that has a gold wing told me that there is no motorcycle that is good on gravel roads. he has never been on a TW. He saw mine and said it is a useless bike. I ride almost everyday, he doesn't, so much for a useless bike.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
    aHe saw mine and said it is a useless bike. I ride almost everyday, he doesn't, so much for a useless bike.
    This would make him, ah well... Ahhh.... A Dickhead.

Mel
    I have to reinforce what GaryL said, but would like to add, those old bikes we used to ride were somewhat questionable for dependability. Many times when we would take them out and push them, we pushed them home because we broke something. The dependability of the TW has no comparison to those old bikes. I think that is part of what makes them so attractive to a lot of us.
    Mel
    r80rt and rurlndum like this.

As a new rider with a big capacity for adventure, Toot has been taking me places that my skills probably wouldn't qualify for on other bikes... ANNND I ride on streets to get to those locations. Sure, those big GS are sweeeet, but a) I'd go broke bashing into things as I learned and b) I had a 650GS and she was too tall and heavy for me, hence, Toot. Who is hard to break, easy and cheap to fix, geared low so I'm not spending all my brain energy slipping the clutch annnnnd working with the rear brake in big gravelly/rocky downhills and has the tractor tires to match!

Yesterday I did an intermediate trail, and there's no doubt in my mind that it wouldn't have been possible without three things... three friends! Toot (who's a machine friend!) and two super-experienced rider friends who instruct for BMW when they're not doing their "other" jobs.
    r80rt, littletommy and Tweaker like this.

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary, for those who don't, none is possible.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Boss, the TW is the epitome of tooling around the trails. Low seat height, fat tires and geared low so you can putz around without fouling the engine. Gets great mileage too and has all kinds of aftermarket stuff to customize any way you want. There really is no other bike like it.
    r80rt likes this.
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links