Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow?

between the Catskill and Adirondack Mts., NYS
    FIrstly, let me say that riding "off piste" is still a new experience for me. I have not ridden the TW very much, just have it broken in, @ 900 miles, more than half street riding, I scared myself silly this summer when I survived a steep slope loose gravel trail without dumping my T-Dub . I love the lightness of the bike. I was wondering how it behaves in the snow, and if I should try it. Kids run around on dirt bikes in the snow around here, especially on the frozen, snow covered lake, and it looks like a lot of fun. But I'm not a kid anymore. How does the TW do in the snow with its stock tires? I'm already suffering from Parked Motorcycle Syndrome, and hoping maybe my lil T-Dub might be an antidote?

We always did it when we were kids, too

The key is go slow, keep your feet down and be ready to get away from the bike when it needs to get out from under you. Very similar to riding one of those ski-bikes, or whatever they are called.
    TW200, Bruin, Sportsman, Ranger, Wrangler
    ----> Old Age Ain't for Sissies!

I wouldn't try to ride on ice, but snow may be fun and it's soft if you happen to dump the bike!

I'm sure that off-road riding of any type is great to learn how to handle one's bike properly in all situations, and understand everything about weight distribution, balance etc. I never did anything other than easy gravel roads and I would love to have more off-road experience. I say go for it...
    Red Max - 1996 TW200 - 14/45, 320mm toothed brake disc, MV28P carb, X-Racing titanium exhaust, Ricochet skid plate, Jimbo shield, Mule hitch pins, large pegs, VeeRubber VRM274&275 tires

To Paris on the TW - My TW Website

Most of the snow riding I have tried has required lots of effort, both from me and the engine. Packed ruts are very doable, but then you are generally riding in a 'trench'. I think a light dusting of 4" would be fun. My guess is alot depends on the 'type of snow'.

Heading into the 'trench'

This proved to be a 'no-go' the engine simply does not have the horsepower to plow 11" of this

Take care my Friend.........

Yeah the TW does ok in the snow. The front tire slides quite a bit but no different than wet mud. Ice is a different story..... Some have studded their tires so if your withdrawls get to bad you could try that...

between the Catskill and Adirondack Mts., NYS
    I think the type of snow cover that I enjoy on my cross country skis may be do-able. If I can get the bike out of the back room, I think I'll give it a go. If I manage, I'll post pics!

I had a ton of fun the first day it snowed! Just kept it slow. I tried again after the 4th day...not so much fun that day. The light fluffy snow on top of the hard pack and ice was very slick. Front tire was everywhere.

I kept hearing that we'd have less snow this year. Weathermen are worthless. We broke several records for Nov already and this month looks to be more of the same. If this keeps up I'm buying a set of stock wheel/tires and studding them up. I can't not ride all winter!

Byte

Senior Member dstock@alaska.net's Avatar
    Key to driving anything in the snow is to stay off the brakes, easy on the gas and no quick direction changes.

It snowed here for 3 days a couple of years ago. That amount of snow is rare here, and what little snow removal equipment is available generally is focused on keeping Interstate 15 open. All my four wheeled vehicles were buried, and the TW became my only way off my property to town.

It floats on snow, but with the stock tires it's prolly the worst thing I've ever ridden on ice. lol. Once the snow on the roads turned to ice my KLR with D606's did far better.

These things are a blast to ride in snow. Have fun.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...raphic-survey/

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...-tag-yourself/

Byte, Sounds like you could be from Idaho.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links