Electrical Question on low voltage driveway gate openers
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Electrical Question on low voltage driveway gate openers

Electrical Question on low voltage driveway gate openers

Some of you may know that I'm installing driveway gate openers at my house (see this thread: tunneling under a driveway ). I have a question about voltage drop.

I am going to install my control box in the basement and the driveway gate 11' from the side of the house and the conduit to cross the driveway is in the front yard, I have about a 115' long run from the control box to the slave opener where I am worried about voltage drop over a run that long. The opener arms have 7 wires in the cable (two 14 gauge wires which are power and five 16 gauge wires which are for control). The wire connections in the control box will only accept this small size wire so I plan to connect 2 short leads of 14 gauge wire for the power and immediately upsize to larger wire (10 gauge) to make the run to the slave arm and then I will downsize the wire back to the original size wire at the opener arm. The other 5 control wires I will run 14 gauge wire from the box and then downsize to the original size wire at the opener arm. Think this is going to work?
    Thanks
    Ryan

gate opener manual pages 9-10 & 21-22
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...a567587b9a.pdf

TWilight likes this.

Mel
    Ryan,
    I would suggest you contact the manufacturer of your controller and ask them what the maximum distance would be with the small wire. Yes, upgrading the wire with larger wire should eliminate any problems you would experience.
    Mel
    Point37 likes this.

Rather than extra connections, I do understand your predicament, I think if the 10 gauge wire is stranded I would just trim out some strands at the connection so it will go in.

GaryL
    Point37 likes this.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

thanks Mel...i have contacted them but i didn't talk to an electrician...waited on hold fora half hour to talk to some guy that has never heard of a situation like mine and and just said it wouldn't work cause that's not how it was designed to be installed...basically they want the control box outside so it fails at some point from being exposed to the weather and you have to call them to get a replacement...i asked an actual electrician and he said it should work...my questions is will it?...will the small wire lead from the control box to large wire and then back to small wire at the arm create a voltage choke point leaving the control box?

thanks Gary...yea it will be stranded wire so maybe I will try doing that
    Last edited by Point37; 10-01-2015 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    thanks Mel...i have contacted them but i didn't talk to an electrician...waited on hold fora half hour to talk to some guy that has never heard of a situation like mine and and just said it wouldn't work cause that's not how it was designed to be installed...basically they want the control box outside so it fails at some point from being exposed to the weather and you have to call them to get a replacement...i asked an actual electrician and he said it should work...my questions is will it?...will the small wire lead from the control box to large wire and then back to small wire at the arm create a voltage choke point leaving the control box?

thanks Gary...yea it will be stranded wire so maybe I will try doing that
    The voltage loss occurs over the length it runs so increasing the wire size will alleviate the drop. Heat is also a concern if too much amperage is going through a small wire. At the final terminations if you trim a few strands so it can go into the block it should be a non issue.

GaryL
    Point37 likes this.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

there are sites on the internet where you can input your data , run length, amps etc, and they will tell you what gauge of wire to use. from looking at your drawing, I think you will have a hell of a time pulling that size of wire through a 3/4" conduit. maybe impossible. did you put sweeping 90's at the corners?
    Point37 likes this.
    Greg
    2014 TW200
    2016 bolt
    1981 honda ct110
    1973 honda ct90

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    there are sites on the internet where you can input your data , run length, amps etc, and they will tell you what gauge of wire to use. from looking at your drawing, I think you will have a hell of a time pulling that size of wire through a 3/4" conduit. maybe impossible. did you put sweeping 90's at the corners?
    thanks...yea we used sweeping 90s...i have a 2 wire 14 gauge cable in there now so i plan to use that to pull the wire through...the trench is still exposed so i can always pull the conduit apart on each side of the driveway and snake it if need be...the conduit comes up to the gate posts and into junction boxes so i can get to the wire there as well...the length under the driveway is galvanized steel pipe and the rest is plastic pipe...i have a voltage drop calculator but i am not exactly sure what the voltage and amperage that the opener arm needs...it explains it on page 10 or 37 on the link i posted in the OP but it's a little confusing to me
    Last edited by Point37; 10-01-2015 at 10:32 AM.

have you thought of putting a second battery on the far side and use the 14 gauge wires as a charging circuit. that would keep the wire size down
    Greg
    2014 TW200
    2016 bolt
    1981 honda ct110
    1973 honda ct90

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    have you thought of putting a second battery on the far side and use the 14 gauge wires as a charging circuit. that would keep the wire size down
    not really...not too sure how to wire that and if i would fry something...i'm also trying to avoid putting anything extra outside with all the snow and cold weather

I would think you will be able to put the 12 volt charging circuit ( 14 gauge wires) to the battery on the far side. then the accuator will draw it's amperage from the battery closest to it. it may solve a few problems in the long run. with a steady charge on the battery, it will stay warm in the winter and I think with a power source at both gates, they will open at the same speed
    Point37 likes this.
    Greg
    2014 TW200
    2016 bolt
    1981 honda ct110
    1973 honda ct90

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links