new cars suck
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: new cars suck

new cars suck

some history... i have been pulling on wrenches my whole life, starting 60 years ago with my dad's lawnmower ( can't remember the out come on that one) i've done total engine rebuilds, transmissions, clutches, brakes, etc etc. fast forward to yesterday. i had a moment with the wife's car when the battery was in trouble. 6 years out of a stock battery was a pretty good life, i was impressed. so i started to phone around to get prices on new batteries and find them all about $160. that's fine, so i go and open the hood of her car to pull the battery out and what the????? where is it? i had to go on the www just to find out where they put it and then to find out how to get at it. then i started to read all the problems that can occure if you disconnect the power from all the computors in a newer car. so longer story made short, the car is going into the gm dealer this afternoon for a new battery, can't wait to see the bill from them. what a bunch of B.S. to go from fixing anything on a car to not being able to change a battery, ohhh take me back to the 1960s please
    Last edited by grewen; 12-13-2016 at 01:28 PM.
    2014 tw
    2016 bolt
    1981 honda ct110
    1973 honda ct90

What really boils my p!ss is the fact that on a lot of cars nowadays you can't even change a headlamp bulb by the roadside! Ford Mondeo for example, you have to unbolt and remove the grille then unbolt and remove the headlamp unit to change a headlamp, sidelamp or indicator bulb. That is total BS!

anything to do with wiring on a new car scares the hell out of me, and i used to be a telephone cable splicer. i'm used to handleing 1000's of wires at one time, but even a couple in a new car is iffy
    2014 tw
    2016 bolt
    1981 honda ct110
    1973 honda ct90

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

More and more use a canbus system, that is nothing short of witchcraft!

Quote Originally Posted by buellzebub View Post
    More and more use a canbus system, that is nothing short of witchcraft!
    I thought, what the heck does cannabis have to do with wiring on a car. There is a difference is the spelling. Oops!

CAN bus

A Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer.

can·na·bis
    ˈkanəbəs/
    noun
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

• a tall plant with a stiff upright stem, divided serrated leaves, and glandular hairs. It is used to produce hemp fiber and as a psychotropic drug.
      • a dried preparation of the flowering tops or other parts of this plant, or a resinous extract of it ( cannabis resin ), used (generally illegally) as a psychotropic drug, chiefly in cigarettes.

LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Try the headlight bulbs on a E350 C207 Mercedes - one side needs the inside of the wing unbolting - two batteries (in different locations) - both well "hidden" ......

And you guys think removing the TW seat is a pain ......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

CAN bus systems have been around for years, in the marine industry we call it fly-by-wire. Your whole boat engine is controlled by one tiny little wire that sends signals back and forth to your onboard computer at the speed of light....most of the time. That one little can bus wire will tell the computer when to start the engine, which gear to shift into, how much throttle you want and then feed all the information to your dash for gauges and alarms. The last boat I rigged had more money in cables and touch screens than I paid for my first sports car. Ever tried to enter anything into a touch screen at 49.5 Knots?? not easy to do. What does a guy do when your out at sea and you go to start you boat and nothing happens when you push the start button? I personally think we have gone too far with the whole can bus / private networks / public networks/ etc when it comes to running either a car or a boat... too much room for error and disaster. Remember when a piece of chewing gum and the foil from a pack of cigs would get any engine up and running to limp home on, not anymore. But the bright side is when you do start a modern engine is fires right up and no more playing with the choke, burns way less fuel and you can go for ever on a set of spark plugs. Our new Evinrude G2 outboards will go 500 hours or 5 years between servicing and now they come with a 10 year warranty. For me, I will stick with my old two stroke, smokey, angry outboard and ride my plain-Jane old TW200, both never fail to start and will run all day on a tank of fuel (almost) and both have never seen a shop since they left the showroom floor. So "Progress" as they call it doesn't mean that it is always in the forward motion, sometimes simple is just better!
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by wrench-puller View Post
    CAN bus systems have been around for years, in the marine industry we call it fly-by-wire. Your whole boat engine is controlled by one tiny little wire that sends signals back and forth to your onboard computer at the speed of light....most of the time. That one little can bus wire will tell the computer when to start the engine, which gear to shift into, how much throttle you want and then feed all the information to your dash for gauges and alarms.
    Like I said, witchcraft!

Quote Originally Posted by wrench-puller View Post
    So "Progress" as they call it doesn't mean that it is always in the forward motion, sometimes simple is just better!
    Absolutely 👍
    littletommy and grewen like this.

Hopefully Out Riding Somewhere In The Sierras
    I'm a dinosaur and still like manual transmissions, wing vent windows, plus radios and side windows one can raise and lower with out the key. My old trick of wiring in an accessory power switch bypassing the key would likely incapacitate an entire CAN bus vehicle.
    Memorable discoveries:
    A rental Nissan in the islands I wanted to rock out on the beach with would interrupt the music every 20 seconds or so with loud announcements that "Door Is Ajar!" followed a few seconds later by " Key Is In Ignition!" This did nothing to impress the wahinis and island girls.
    My wife used to like to set her Mercedes ML keys on the center console where they could be knocked off under the seat. Problem was with the electric seat one needed the keys in the ignition to move the seat to retrieve said keys. Catch 22, right? It also would self lock all the doors locking me out but leaving the keys inside.
    My van wants to auto-lock all the doors to protect the small children I do not have. Engine must be switched off to open any doors. Daytime running lights are un-defeatable.
    My Tacoma thinks I must live in a crime ridden car jacking area since it loves to lock it's doors taking multiple un-lock commands to release the passenger door.
    Uuurg, There are days I miss my old straight six '62 Chevy with the panoramic rear window, forward slanting A-pillar and wobbly king pins.1963_truck-672x372.jpg
    and my first, a slant six '62 Dodge Lancer GT with the push button transmission supposedly only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays.24.jpg
    littletommy, grewen, Mel and 3 others like this.
    Lights, Action, Traction....Let's Ride!
    2003 model year, jetted for mile high+ riding, Wiseco 68mm piston, Duro ATV rear tire, IRC GP-1 Trials front tire, XT-225 tank, Cyclerack, 2" handlebar risers, foot pegs, D-flex hand guards, right angle fuel filter, Seat Concepts kit over additional hi-density foam, fluorescent paint, Betty Boop stickers..and a lot of scratches!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links