HF lawsuit
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: HF lawsuit

HF lawsuit

It appears that there is a proposed settlement in the class action lawsuit against Harbor Freight that was filed last year for improperly advertising merchandise at a "sale" or "compare at" price when the same items had not been sold at the advertised regular or "compare at" price for at least 28 of the preceding 90 days.

If the details I've read are true there's a substantial amount of money to be returned to customers. I haven't absorbed the details but there are a number of forums and news sites discussing it.

If you've bought stuff there from April 8, 2011 to December 15, 2016 and have receipts or other proof, it sounds like it might be worth your while to check this out if this turns out to be as it seems. I assume there are people here that this might affect so I thought I'd post it. Personally, I've spent around $2500 during the time this covers....and I've kept my receipts.

Here's a quote explaining some details from a thread on SlickDeals shopping forum:

"Harbor Freight Class Action Settlement - Get cash back or gift cards for purchases made from 4/8/11-12/15/16!!
    Harbor Freight just settled a class action suit due to falsely advertising the "regular price" of items, and therefore falsely claiming the amount that you save when an item is "on sale". Full details of the case and settlement, as well as instructions on submitting a claim, can be found here: National Sale Price Settlement

The options to claim damages are as follows:

OPTION A. Customers who have itemized Harbor Freight receipts reflecting one or more purchases between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 with a "you saved" amount reflected on their receipts can submit copies of those receipts and elect to receive either 20% in cash, or 30% in a Harbor Freight gift card, of the total "you saved" amount listed on their receipts, excluding any amounts reflecting free items or items that were later returned.
    EXAMPLE: If you have receipts showing total "savings" on multiple items totaling $480, you have the option of getting 20% cash back ($96) or 30% ($144) on a Harbor Freight gift card.

OPTION B. Customers who have credit or debit card statements reflecting one or more purchases at Harbor Freight between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 can submit copies of those statements and elect to receive either 10% in cash, or 12% in a Harbor Freight gift card, of the total Harbor Freight purchases on their credit or debit card statement(s), excluding any amounts reflecting items that were later returned.
    EXAMPLE: If you have credit card statements showing $2,400 in purchases at Harbor Freight, you have the option of getting 10% ($240) cash back or 12% ($288) on a Harbor Fright gift card.

OPTION C. All other customers who made purchases at Harbor Freight between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 may submit one declaration, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that they purchased an item from Harbor Freight (other than a free or later-returned item) that was advertised with a higher reference price (e.g., "reg. $XXX," "only $XXX," or "comp. at $XXX") adjacent to a lower current offering price, and that they do not have itemized Harbor Freight receipts or credit or debit card statements of their Harbor Freight purchases. Customers submitting this declaration will receive one $10 Harbor Freight gift card.
    This one is pretty self explanatory. "

...and here’s a link to the thread if you want to read discussion.

I have always been satisfied with things I bought from Harbor Fart.
    Phelonius

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I never expect much from them and am sometimes pleased with the items.
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    This is probably conspired by a competitor. All this will do is cause prices to go up or they can't have sales as often. Once again making prices go up. All frivolous lawsuits do is hurt the innocent or customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    This is probably conspired by a competitor. All this will do is cause prices to go up or they can't have sales as often. Once again making prices go up. All frivolous lawsuits do is hurt the innocent or customer.
    and it helps keep the big boys honest
    JerseyJeeper and Ken like this.
    Greg
    2014 TW200
    2016 bolt
    1981 honda ct110
    1973 honda ct90

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    If everything I bought from J.C. Whitney did what they said, my gas mileage would be improved by 9000% and I would have an extra 400,000 horsepower. I like HF and I am not cashing in on this. I have always gotten what I paid for with great customer service on returns or exchanges. MBW
    TW-Brian, Ken, Dryden-Tdub and 2 others like this.

I understand that their advertising of "normal" vs "sale" price is not accurate, but many places do this and consumers need to be smart. The only people making any real money in this lawsuit are the greedy lawyers who will walk away with millions and leave scraps for the consumers to collect and higher prices at the stores to cover the millions that they charged. Do smart consumers really think that a $20 drill at Harbor Freight is valued at $89, or will last as long as one that actually costs that? No. But sometimes I need some cheap and almost disposable tools, so that is what I buy there. And some of their stuff is great and worth more than they are asking.
    Ken, Dryden-Tdub, GaryL and 3 others like this.

HF tools are not designed for the tradesman and should be understood to be the weekend warriors quality stuff to get a job done. I have lots of HF stuff that I only ever use or needed for a few uses. They work or they replace them and some of them actually do work quite well and can last. I just finished building one of their 4X8 fold away utility trailers I plan to drag my kayak on. It actually is quite well made and designed and I think it will get the job done very nicely as long as I maintain it. I do not expect the tires or wheel bearings to last all that long but a similar trailer by another company would cost 2 or 3 times as much. I will give them an A+ for the instructions that came with it. In this day and age there is an Ambulance chasing lawyer behind every bush along with a bunch of judges who seem to think they were elected as dictators to overrule the President.

GaryL
    littletommy, Xracer, Ken and 3 others like this.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

I bought a Craftsman torque wrench that broke after a very short period. Tried to take it back to Sears and was told by two different employees that there was no warranty on tools anymore. Harbor Freight? No problem.Just take it back and they will replace it.

If you all are satisfied with false advertising by HF, you might be almost happy for awhile with our current President.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Central New MexicoHidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links