TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Harley 48

8K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  frog13 
#1 ·
I most definitely don't need another motorcycle, but it appears that after two years of suffering Miss Margaret might relent on a purchase. I just love the Harley 48 and they happen to have a spankers new 14 in candy red at the dealership. I've owned several Harleys over the years, but never a small one, the smallest was a Heritage Softtail, and that wasn't really small. Can anyone give me some input on these machines? I love (of course I do) the old school styling and I'm at that critical point where I keep picturing myself on that bike...dangerous times. We used to joke that Sporties were chick bikes, but hey, that was joking. This is a sweet bike in my opinion and looks just like I think a bike should.

So, anyone got info on this machine?

#3 ·
A co-worker just sold his almost new 48. Started having problems from day 1. He stated the problems but the only one I remember right off was that the gas gauge quit working. He loved the styling though. Ended up buying a jap cruiser.

#4 ·
I know nothing about them :)

You sound like I did when I first laid eyes on my 48. Yeah, by far the best bike Ive ever owned in my life. Not really talking about performance (though it has plenty for me) but rather how it makes me feel. Ive never owned a bike that just makes me feel so freakin good :) Never fails to put a smile on my face. Mine however is slightly modified :)

Thats one thing about Harleys in general and Sportsters in particular, the modifications available are truely endless. You can turn your sporty into anything you want to and dont need fabrications skills to do so.........everything you need you can buy off the shelf. I would bet there are for instance no less than 100 different kinds of seats to choose from.

One thing about 2014s, they changed the location of the rear master cylinder. So there are a few fitment issues with aftermarket exhaust. But most all manufactures are catching up to the changes.

It will be the most reliable bike you have including the TW. I havent HAD to do anything other than change oil and filters in the 4 years Ive had it. Conversely Ive had to fix both my TWs in the less than a year Ive owned them.

Im rambling............. :) might be easier to ask specific questions and Ill answer those as you bring them up. :)

#6 ·
Oh I'm familiar with the aftermarket deal. I used to have those big catalogs right by my chair back in my Harley days...spent a ton on crap that really didn't do anything but shine. This one would be my first Sportster though, and I've read that the seating position is awkward, and that the forward controls prevent you from rising out of the seat...things like that. I was wondering how people felt about the ergometrics and such on the smaller Harleys. I'd want to be able to ride it wherever I want, such as the places I went this morning in my post "A way you'll never be". I realize that isn't classic Harley country, but those are some of the shortcuts I take, and the Scrambler and Enfield do just fine there. Will the HD?

Oh, and by the way TWROG that's a fine looking bike!

#8 ·
#9 ·
Never owned one but looked and test rode near every Harley (specially the shorties) when I was cruiser shopping last year (the Harley dealer is quite literally my neighbour).

Of all the Harley's I rode the sportsters were my favourite. I loved that 1200engine. For me though I just couldn't find one to fit me for the riding I intended (longer distance OR local two up). But I did spend a good 1hr or so on a 48. It was one of the better fitting current sportys for me but that seat and lack of rear suspension in stock trim was a tad harsh. I could not imagine taking it down a dirt road as it would be too punishing for my taste. I wish Harley would bring back the Sportster 1200R as those are the bike I really wanted. If you do get a 48 and wish to do that kind of riding I'd suggest you also plan on purchasing taller rear shocks or at the very least a sprung seat.

Myself I got a victory as it suites my needs best and figment was perfect from stock. (And by God that engine is phenomenal). It may not be as compact and well sporty looking but I pretty happy. Then again I never intend to take it on anything but black top I have my TW for the dirt and such.

#14 ·
Thanks.....means a lot :) Im hijacking here but Ive just about completly gone through my 77 KZ650. Im thinking of taking it on a Bun Burner 1500 next year from Atlanta back home to Colorado Springs :)

#15 ·
Borneo you are not going thru the corvette stage? I came close to getting a Ford Raptor pickup truck but I got the TW. Ride a Star Bolt before you buy a 48.

#16 ·
#19 ·
Mike will be along soon to back me up best bike I have road. I came close to getting a Harley or a star but pulled the plug.

#22 ·
OK so are we going to ride sporty's to Alaska?

Reactions: WECSOG
#24 ·
Hopefully you won't need forward controls like I did. You won't like the feel of them on the dirt. Seems to me you lose a lot of finite control of the bike.

#25 ·
Yeah the Bolt is nice and a good performer.............and a blatant copy of a sporty Iron. :) Put a Bolt and an Iron next to each other and sit on each. The build quality difference between the two is VERY obvious. And after market is comparatively non existent for the Bolt compared to a sporty.

Belt drive? The most trouble free, maintenance free, longest lasting drive Ive ever had or read about. Remember, its a street bike not a dirt bike.

#33 ·
Yeah suspension is a given, if anyone does 2 minutes of research or a 4 minute ride would know that. But...............he could have easily fixed for under 300 bucks front and rear. You still hear a few problems with the low fuel light. Both my 883 and my 48 have been dead nuts consistent but still not all that useful. They both would come on with 1.2-1.4 gallons remaining, thats kind of silly as the 48 comes with a 2.1 gallon tank. But as with EVERY motorcycle Ive ever owned I use the trip meter or odo. The rocker gasket leak used to be more common but as with the fuel light your dont hear much about them any more. Neither of my sportys had a leak. And actually its not a leak like our TW base gasket leaks, its a very small weep that attracts dust :)

As far as more bike for the money? A lot of that is personal taste I guess. The striker costs a grand more to start with and Yamaha dealer fees are 2-3 times what Harley dealer fees are. Its 80 pounds heavier and gets 10+% less MPGs :) Your buddy doesnt sound like the kind of guy that like to mod things, good thing cause your options with the striker are severely limited when compared to a sporty. And then theres resale value, I bet if we both tried to sell right now we would get about the same price...................and mine is pushing 5 years old :)

But its all good. You need to get what YOU want, not what someone else thinks is better :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.