What's better for starting out? - Page 3
Close
    
    
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: What's better for starting out?

  1. #21
    Senior Member JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    2,247
    Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    I've have both. TW is a far better beginners bike. KLR's are tall, heavy, and torquey. A little fumbling with the clutch or throttle and you will be on the ground. The latest generation of KLRs have to much body work on them for my taste. More to scratch or break in the event of a unintentional dis-mount. Get the TW and when you think your ready for something bigger, move up. But DON'T sell the TW. They are fun little bikes that can go just about anywhere.
    The above and this from Hoot: "TW....easier to lift and to crawl out from under... {KLR is 432 pounds} .."

  2. #22
    Senior Member jtomelliott49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,532
    The answer to this poster's question is super easy. TW every time. I know this is not everyone's answer, but I would bet the vast majority would say TW, every time. After all, we are the TW forum. lol
    Tom in Wichita

    78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

  3. #23
    Senior Member Donzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    118
    I'd go TW. Learn to ride on backroads and fire trails. Get good on the TW and you can transfer that experience to other larger bikes. You can get a TW with little invested. As someone else said....don't sell the Dub - it's a unique ride with little maintenance cost but lots of fun! I have a 850lb Victory bagger for long trips, love the Vic, but if I'm riding local the Dub is my first pick! I always find a trail to explore when out and about - not exploring trails on my Vic, that's for sure. 8^)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Member DARIVS ARCHITECTVS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ramsey, MN USA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    I've have both. TW is a far better beginners bike. KLR's are tall, heavy, and torquey. A little fumbling with the clutch or throttle and you will be on the ground. The latest generation of KLRs have to much body work on them for my taste. More to scratch or break in the event of a unintentional dis-mount. Get the TW and when you think your ready for something bigger, move up. But DON'T sell the TW. They are fun little bikes that can go just about anywhere.
    Gaining experience with riding motorcycles will undoubtedly lead to you changing motorcycles over time. You will change what you wnat to do with your motorcycle (road/offroad, short or long distance, faster or slower, riding comfort level, etc.). Even so, you will want to buy a second and possibly third bike, but it is prudent to keep your TW-200, because there will always be times you want a lightweight trailblazer for single trail riding under the canopy of trees in the sunlight, stumble through rocky desert passes, or to pass on to your next generation when they come of age.
    DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
    (Darius the Engineer)

    1944 DKW NZ350-1
    2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure
    2010 Yamaha TW200

  6. #25
    Senior Member Xracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,816
    You say that its for going back and forth to work. Do you have to travel any major highways with a speed limit of 65-70MPH? If so get the KLR. If not get the Dub. I have both and enjoy each of them even with my short legs and bad knees.
    Mattwings and littletommy like this.

  7. #26
    Member Tcruarceri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Eastern LI, NY
    Posts
    67
    Tw was my first bike, I purchased it just under a year ago and have put approximately 1300 miles on it. Mostly local. I can't imagine something significantly better to learn on, but as said with stock gearing expect around a 55-60 top speed. I just changed to a rear 45 tooth sprocket which made that more like 70-75 but still it's not really an expressway companion. But then again, people tour on much smaller bikes.
    littletommy likes this.

  8. #27
    Member Yam200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    33
    wanted a KLR650 - friend who is into competitive cross country talked me out of it: Too heavy- especially on dirt roads/logging roads/cross country, fast on fwy, too demanding for a "green rider". It's OK if you want to cruise, he said. So I got a Zuma scooter and looked like a monkey on a grind stone. Folks laughed at me with my 6'2" and 230 lbs. Then I saw the TW and liked the fat tires. That was it, really. The fat tires! Bought it and never looked back. Still learning the proper clutch techniques and balance. A bit low to the ground for me with 35" inseam and 37" arms. Raised the handle bar by 2". Still a little low to stand up but that is OK. Being an "old fart" with a young heart I better sit down anyway or could get myself into serious trouble. Sorry, long story.
    The short answer and my opinion: Get the TW for now and you should never regret it.
    PS: Carried the scooter on the front of my ruck for camping - TW is the same weight and will go right on. Additional bonus in favor of TW. Still looking a bit like a monkey but now on a TW200!
    littletommy likes this.

  9. #28
    Junior Member turbodieseli4i6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeviticus23 View Post
    What would you guys recommend for a first bike? A TW200 or a KLR650? I'm asking because I'm looking for a bike and I'm not sure which one would be better.

    Edit: I'm 5'10" tall and weigh about 160-170lbs.
    The TW is a great starter bike, great mid bike and a great last bike. I bought my 99 around ten years ago put a couple thousand miles on it. In 2012 I added a NC700X for commuting duties and a long trips bike. I've put over 54,000 miles on the NC since I bought it.
    I've commuted on the TW, but it required more time and awareness on the two lane 65 mph road. The TW isn't my first choice if you're going to be on fast roads for extend periods.

    With that said, I have a 17 Y/O son that decided the wants to ride. He is 6'+/ 210# still growing, and the TW will give him the confidence without intimidating him. We may very well ad CRF250L's or DR650's later on, but the TW is staying.
    I love riding a bike that will go through some nasty terrain that would scare the heck out of me on a tall 370-420 lb bike (DR650). Not to mention, when you ad a bigger bike, your old man can take the fun bike.

    I'm betting my son will want a CRF250 or DR650 within six months. He won't have any problems man handling a taller/heavier bike. You may be in the same category.
    Good luck!

  10. #29
    Senior Member kj7687's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southern California - Inland Empire
    Posts
    2,127
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
    The TW is a great starter bike, great mid bike and a great last bike. I bought my 99 around ten years ago put a couple thousand miles on it. In 2012 I added a NC700X for commuting duties and a long trips bike. I've put over 54,000 miles on the NC since I bought it.
    I've commuted on the TW, but it required more time and awareness on the two lane 65 mph road. The TW isn't my first choice if you're going to be on fast roads for extend periods.

    With that said, I have a 17 Y/O son that decided the wants to ride. He is 6'+/ 210# still growing, and the TW will give him the confidence without intimidating him. We may very well ad CRF250L's or DR650's later on, but the TW is staying.
    I love riding a bike that will go through some nasty terrain that would scare the heck out of me on a tall 370-420 lb bike (DR650). Not to mention, when you ad a bigger bike, your old man can take the fun bike.

    I'm betting my son will want a CRF250 or DR650 within six months. He won't have any problems man handling a taller/heavier bike. You may be in the same category.
    Good luck!

    Thanks for the anecdote on your NC's mileage! I wish more manufacturers would build bikes with weak motors like that (weak motors last forever). What good is a ton of power if it's going to blow up in five minutes? As for the CRF, I'd caution against it. They are known for occasional cam chain tensioner failures. Same with the KLX... In that class, I'd go with either the lighter, more powerful, better chassis/better suspended WR250R, or the 30 pounds lighter XT 250 (without tensioner problems).
    KJ, just KJ, ok.


    Current rides:
    2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200; 1999 Toyota 4Runner

    Past rides: 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX 331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

  11. #30
    Junior Member turbodieseli4i6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    Thanks for the anecdote on your NC's mileage! I wish more manufacturers would build bikes with weak motors like that (weak motors last forever). What good is a ton of power if it's going to blow up in five minutes? As for the CRF, I'd caution against it. They are known for occasional cam chain tensioner failures. Same with the KLX... In that class, I'd go with either the lighter, more powerful, better chassis/better suspended WR250R, or the 30 pounds lighter XT 250 (without tensioner problems).
    There are a few NC's with over a hundred thousand miles on them now, and a handful that has had cam chain failures. The CRF isn't the only one, but at least you can get a manual tensioner for it.
    One guy on the ADV/NC forum has over a hundred thousand on his CBR250 and still going.

    I hope it doesn't happen to the NC, but I monitor the noises on my bikes and do inspections when servicing the valves. So hopefully I'll catch and fix it before any catastrophe. (If it happens)
    Like you said about the weak motor on the NC. I'm going to try and get 300,000 miles out of it. I've spent $2,520.40 on gas in the 54,555 miles that I have on it now. It's easy to ride slow and will push my 220# butt a 100+ mph if need be, but speed kills MPG's and I'm not fond of performance awards.

    If Yamaha made a air cooled TW250/350 with a six speed gearbox, that would do an honest 75 mph I'd buy 1 or 3. I like the tractor like trail bikes more than the rev happy bikes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. colds starting
    By TheRedRider in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-2014, 08:20 PM
  2. Trouble starting
    By Ridge Runner in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2014, 03:01 PM
  3. Starting my new bike for you......
    By Revolverman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 06:41 PM
  4. Having trouble starting
    By papa wheelie in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 01:34 PM
  5. Starting work on the '94
    By Omega Man in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 06:22 PM