Shinko 244 or 241 Front Tire? Your Preference? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Shinko 244 or 241 Front Tire? Your Preference?

241 is the hands down best. The 244 is the hands down best. The Pirelli MT43 is the hands down best. The IRC GP-1 is the hands down best. The stocker SUCKS!!!!

Tom
    Tweaker, Blueduce, admiral and 1 others like this.
    Never, in the history of mankind, have lives, less lived, been so well chronicled.

"For a showroom display I like the 244 for actual riding it's the 241 hands down it's not even close"

This summer I went from a 203 to a 244 and I will admit the looks affected my choice over the 241. At first I hated the 244... so heavy and stiff it just bounced off everything then I lowered f & R pressures to 12 or 14 psi and that made my bike the best it has ever been off road. Next I will definitely try the 241 unless I go back to the 203 204s.
    fishguy and ejfranz like this.

i had the 244 and loved it, switched to the 241, and not totally convinced yet. i rode the 244 at 18 psi on and off road and felt solid. trying the same with the 241 and just feels looser.
    admiral, Peterb and centralwarider like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    i had the 244 and loved it, switched to the 241, and not totally convinced yet. i rode the 244 at 18 psi on and off road and felt solid. trying the same with the 241 and just feels looser.
    This is my exact answer except off road I lowered the tire pressure to approximately 10-12 psi. I run this tire pressure on every tire I use front and back. For me, and this is subjective per personal feel and experience, 18 psi. for any tire I use is too high off road for my personal taste but I understand we'll all like something a bit different.

This fall I put the 241 and I don't have enough riding time on it yet, but there is something just off with it that I just can't pin point. It washed out on me a couple times where I hadn't had the same problem with the 244. With the 241 I was expecting this "amazing I can't believe it feeling" and to be honest it feels about the same as the 244. I did notice it seems the 241 self-cleans mud and snow better than the 244 but too early to tell.
    littletommy, ejfranz and Peterb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    This is my exact answer except off road I lowered the tire pressure to approximately 10-12 psi. I run this tire pressure on every tire I use front and back. For me, and this is subjective per personal feel and experience, 18 psi. for any tire I use is too high off road for my personal taste but I understand we'll all like something a bit different.

This fall I put the 241 and I don't have enough riding time on it yet, but there is something just off with it that I just can't pin point. It washed out on me a couple times where I hadn't had the same problem with the 244. With the 241 I was expecting this "amazing I can't believe it feeling" and to be honest it feels about the same as the 244. I did notice it seems the 241 self-cleans mud and snow better than the 244 but too early to tell.
    Hey Admiral, what kind of surfaces did the 241 washout on? In the dirt, mud and gravel here in NY I was amazed at the traction I got out of my 241. Of course I ran the stock front tire for 5000 miles so a ski on the front may have been an improvement. The 241 is slower to lean into a corner on the pavement though.

Tom
    admiral and ejfranz like this.
    Never, in the history of mankind, have lives, less lived, been so well chronicled.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    Hey Admiral, what kind of surfaces did the 241 washout on? In the dirt, mud and gravel here in NY I was amazed at the traction I got out of my 241. Of course I ran the stock front tire for 5000 miles so a ski on the front may have been an improvement. The 241 is slower to lean into a corner on the pavement though.

Tom
    241 Pushed out on some semi loose sandy/dirt combo soil (best way I can describe it) and I didn't expect it to do that. I have never had the same feeling at the same corner with the stock or 244 tire. Mud I ride thru is usually some puddles which I ride around the edge anyway and the 241 did fine there. On the gravel road it did fine also. I will say I was very comfortable with the 241 in deeper sand when I was riding in the Parma Play area. So comfortable that I really wasn't paying attention to the tires. So, kind of hard to explain that it did fine in medium to deep sand but washed out on just the semi-loose stuff. After this happened a couple times in the same turn, knowing what it was gonna do I was ready for it and didn't have any more issues. It still would wash out a bit, I just adapted to it.

I have the opposite feel than you do in turns with the 241. For the last year, I had been using a stock front tire with either the stock rear tire or the Ceros. With these combo's, I felt I had to lean harder for it to lean into a corner.

Then I put the 241 on and expected it to be difficult to lean just like the stock tire. However, just the opposite happened. It leaned so quickly it caught me off guard just a bit. It didn't matter which rear tire I was using. So, I kind of like the 241 on pavement.

This is why it's so hard to recommend tires to anyone. 10 people can have the same exact tire combo and all 10 of us would probably say something different.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    241 Pushed out on some semi loose sandy/dirt combo soil (best way I can describe it) and I didn't expect it to do that. I have never had the same feeling at the same corner with the stock or 244 tire. Mud I ride thru is usually some puddles which I ride around the edge anyway and the 241 did fine there. On the gravel road it did fine also. I will say I was very comfortable with the 241 in deeper sand when I was riding in the Parma Play area. So comfortable that I really wasn't paying attention to the tires. So, kind of hard to explain that it did fine in medium to deep sand but washed out on just the semi-loose stuff. After this happened a couple times in the same turn, knowing what it was gonna do I was ready for it and didn't have any more issues. It still would wash out a bit, I just adapted to it.

I have the opposite feel than you do in turns with the 241. For the last year, I had been using a stock front tire with either the stock rear tire or the Ceros. With these combo's, I felt I had to lean harder for it to lean into a corner.

Then I put the 241 on and expected it to be difficult to lean just like the stock tire. However, just the opposite happened. It leaned so quickly it caught me off guard just a bit. It didn't matter which rear tire I was using. So, I kind of like the 241 on pavement.

This is why it's so hard to recommend tires to anyone. 10 people can have the same exact tire combo and all 10 of us would probably say something different.
    I was trying to explain the feeling to TP awhile back and I kept using the word "slow" to turn into a sharp corner on the pavement. Maybe what I should say instead is that it takes more "input" to initiate the lean. It sticks like glue it's just a different feeling on pavement.

Tom
    admiral and ejfranz like this.

I'd like to try a 241 but run a 244. I've been happy with it.

My bike has extra gravity that most of yours don't have. Washing out takes effort.
    joeband, Purple, fishguy and 5 others like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    I'd like to try a 241 but run a 244. I've been happy with it.

My bike has extra gravity that most of yours don't have. Washing out takes effort.
    Me too. I see the critiques of the 244 and the praise for the 241. But, so far, the 244 is just fine for me. I do find that I need to make sure I sit well centered on the bike. Not too far back. The 244 seems to want more "forward weight" than the stock tire. But, it was 15 years old so who knows? I love the way it grips on a side hill.

18 psi on pavement and 10 to 12 on serious off road. Gravel roads? 12 to 15 psi and it rides like dream.

I can honestly say I have zero experience of either tire, and I’m grateful for that – the Shinko not being native to the UK, this means the choice(s) are “not my problem”

However, I have had the vicarious pleasure of reading about the variety of rider experiences on here, and can come to some conclusions

The 244 is noticeably heavier than the 241, and this goes a long way to explaining why it often matches well to an ATV rear. Riding style / position may come into play as well, so it depends on how much weight your body puts over the front wheel – we’re all different in that respect – so it also becomes a matter of “balance”

Whether or not the “turn in” is critical is a matter of “getting used to it”, and again, this is also where the matter of weight balance of the rider over the wheels will come into play

It seems to me, that with a bit of adaptation and the use of a ring spanner to adjust the rake on the handlebars, you could go out on a 200 mile ride and come home perfectly happy with either tire

The 244 is only heavy until you get used to it, while the 241 seems a more” familiar” weight, but can also take some getting used to – but in any event, both are far superior to the stock front, and by definition, that also takes some getting used to

Some people view the “Golden boy” (244) as “the homicidal ring of death”, (but judges should be careful of voicing opinions)

Me ? – I’d play it safe and go for the 241 - but until I’m forced to make that choice, the Hiedenau K60 is just fine ……….
    admiral, ejfranz and littletommy like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links