Road Gearing - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Road Gearing

I put a 47 tooth on and I wouldn't go any higher gearing. After looking at the graph and playing with the numbers, I think Gina has it right at 15 front and stock rear. At cruise it makes a 5mph difference and in 1st gear it only changes from 2 to 2.2 for creeping around. When I change out I will go to this as the 15 will be easier on the chain.

When I break the chain I will also make it so the axle is mid adjustment as O ring chain lasts longer and can have a bit more if I want to add a few teeth to the rear.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Do you want to try it?
    I think I have a new 45 here. Probably a 42 as well.
    I'm 5'9" and 215.
    With 14/50 I was hitting 56mph tops on level ground measured via GPS. I was not trying to blow up the motor while attempting this.

I'm at 14/47 now. Have to try it off road. May go back to a 50.

Got plenty of bikes here to ride on the street, and no local off road spot that I can ride to, so I really don't need the 45 or 42.

Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by HKLBRY View Post
    I don't do Freeway. Secondary highways and backroads and commuting 9 miles each way to work, I am just trying to decide if 47 is small enough or if I want to go a little smaller.
    Last edited by Smitty Blackstone; 05-12-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Those lower tooth count sprockets are offered because they also fit other bikes.

There are alot of opinions on freeways, that is not my question nor do I plan on jumping from one motorcycle to another to chase the perfect bike. I am looking for "road" performance related information pertaining to lower tooth count sprockets. The sprocket manufacturers offer sprockets from 30-72 teeth and if sprockets below 45-47 are not useful for anything, then why are they offered. I am wanting to know "if" those lower numbered sprockets have any value to a particular type of riding I.E. commuting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Answered your PM.

sending you a PM

The hole pattern is the same, that is why the listing matches.

Just because they say it fits doesn't mean it is a good idea.

Answer my PM so I can leave the house and ship those sprockets....

Yes, but they are still listed under the TW model. So I am curious as to their performance and usability on the TW, because there are big differences between how people use their TW.
    Dryden-Tdub and mudbug like this.

I decided to go with a 15/49 that way I could use stock length chain and have OEM axle position, not that a 15/50 would have been much different. But figure a 15/49 is a 3.27 and a 14/45 is 3.21 nearly the same. From researching looks like this is about the most common thing people do, either stock 14 front 45 rear or 15 front and stock 50 rear. Either way they are fairly close.

I have ridden some now with the 15/49 and it is much better at road speeds. It was screaming before with the 14/55

Since the question is out there...is there a practical way to use another wheel set on this machine, with tires more pavement-friendly?

The economy of this engine and chassis is phenomenal. Give it roadgoing tires and higher gearing...it might be a true economy champ, a great ride for commuting.

On my 99 I have 14 and 45 with Bridgestone 203/204 street tires and its perfect for me. I tried a 47 on the rear first but it wasn't enough.

I haven't owned a TW in years, but when I did, I ran 14/50 (stock), 14/55, and 14/44. Honestly of those three combos, the 14/55 was by far the most fun. It was definitely much more capable than the other two off road, and made around-town cruising super easy and relaxed. That being said, it was absolutely horrendous on the highway, even at 55 mph it was absolutely screaming. On the opposite end, the 14/44 was nice and smooth on the highway - for a TW anyway - but it was pretty uninspiring off road (second gear became useless for getting up hills off road, which made screaming in first gear the only option and therefore significantly reduced capability, since first gear was also too tall to be really effective in the technical low speed stuff). You did say to forget about off road use, so in that case I'd go with 14/44. It runs pretty calmly at 60 mph with that setup. IMO 60 is the minimum cruising speed you need for any regular highway use. It's been a long time, but IIRC, I could get up most hills in fifth gear if I was really trying hard (leaning down, knees tucked in, throttle pegged). However as others have said, some hills (especially certain steep-ish mountain roads) will require a down shift to fourth. If you live/ride in an area with a lot of hills, then you might be better off, or at least just as well off, sticking with 14/50. Otherwise, again, the 14/44 combo is really pretty nice on the average slow-lane highway cruise. By the way I'm 6'0, 140 pounds. But even for a heavier guy up to around 200 pounds, I'd say it should still have no problem cruising on flat highways at 60. The hills could become a problem either way.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200; 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX 331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links