Road Gearing - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Road Gearing

Can you share more of your thoughts on your 14/45 choice? Over the 14/47
    What do you feel are some good and bad points about it for road riding?
    Have you tried a 14/42?
    What kind of riding do you mainly do and do you do any type of trail riding? Or strictly roads of various types?

With the 14/45 I don't feel like I am over revving the engine on the highway and I'm not in 3rd gear buy the time I get through an intersection. Mostly I use mine for the street and probably alot more highway than most. On the highway I can cruise comfortably at 110 km/hr (68mph) indicated and she tops out at 118 km/hr. I also run the Bridgestone 203/204 tires which really smooth the bike out at highway speeds and create alot less rolling resistance. I do some gravel roads and trails and have never had a problem with this combo. 14/42 ? Hmmm If I used it strictly for highway maybe but 5th gear would be for steady cruising on flat land and I think if you do any trail riding at all first gear might be to high but then again the parts guy told me the 45 was way to much when I bought it.
    I also have a 2010 TW with stock tires and gearing but I haven't done much to it yet. Even if I use it more off-road it will be geared 14/45 or more likely 15/47 as I find the gears to close in stock form.
    Be sure to let us know what you choose and what you think of it.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Like to hear how that 42 works out for you, thinking about running a 15/45 which is exact same ratio as the 14/42
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

I can't help but feel like people exaggerate a bit about needing first gear to be so low. I have a 47T sprocket (stock 14 up front) and I could easily go down to a 45T and still feel comfortable with first on trails (I'm in 2nd/3rd most of the time anyway). Who the heck is riding trails at a consistent 7mph?
    Peterb and Smitty Blackstone like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JimJames View Post
    I can't help but feel like people exaggerate a bit about needing first gear to be so low. I have a 47T sprocket (stock 14 up front) and I could easily go down to a 45T and still feel comfortable with first on trails (I'm in 2nd/3rd most of the time anyway). Who the heck is riding trails at a consistent 7mph?
    It's not the trails where you need a lower 1st gear, it's off the trails in the really rocky, gnarly, overrun with boulders or downed trees that the the lower 1st gear is needed.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

After using the excellent Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Sprockets Calculator I decided to order a 15/42 combination for myself from Ebay. I'm using my bike for commuting in the city and a bit of free-way here and there, in about 2 weeks from now I will report back on my conversion.

Reasons for conversion - I want to cruise comfortably at 55-60 mph with the engine purring gently in my ears, I don't like the high pitch whining sound at all.
    Last edited by Cornelis; 05-20-2015 at 11:17 AM.
    Peterb and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JimJames View Post
    I assure you, I'm not exaggerating. I need first gear a lot!

lrppcer, scotti158, Peterb and 5 others like this.

Yes a very low first gear is needed if your a serious off road tduber. I ran a 14/47 for a few years and while good on highway if was barely doable in the rough stuff. Rubicon jeep trail was a bitch and when I came back to the Rubicon with my 14/55 I was a very happy camper and will never go back.....
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Hey guys,

This is all great information. I pretty much have created a personal folder just for gearing! I noticed a lot of you talk about highway gearing. I live here in SoCal and if you can't do 70-80mph you will be run over. At 16hp and knobby tires, 55mph is just plain scary. I know all the city street roads that will get me to the Lowes, Home Depot and Bike shops I need within a 15mi radius. I also bolted on a $39 Rigid box to my back rack for all those hinges, electrical, and fittings I need for my weekend projects. Pelicans were just too expensive.

My question is, has anyone put a tachometer on their bike while doing their gearing checks. I feel this would play an important part in figuring out what gears keep you within torque peak on the roadway at 60mph. This will help you decide if you have a little oomph left or not when the hill or headwind comes or is the vibration the deciding factor letting you know you are outside the max RPM range, when you might not be.

There has to be a cheap tach out there you can use for temporary use.

Mr-TW

Quote Originally Posted by HKLBRY View Post
    I didn't use a Tach for my 50 tooth runs, because I did not have one. But, I did purchase an inexpensive one and will be installing it for the remainder of my testing. I also have a GPS App on my phone that will give me average speed and max speed. And I will also be checking MPG's.

With my windscreen and running a better tire up front (mine is a Shinko 241) I was comfortable running 60-62 (50 tooth @ WOT ) and it was pretty smooth other than when I was in the turbulance of trucks. So more street friendly tires would wise for those who run mostly road. While I am not saying the TW can be a freeway bike, I am testing on a section of rural freeway that at night has a much lower traffic volume than many of you may deal with. This allows me to get a consistant road speed that I can hold for longer periods of time. I normally avoid freeways but in order to get the information I am after, it is necessary.
    Been a few days now. What are your first impressions?

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Never, in the history of mankind, have lives, less lived, been so well chronicled.

Was doing a bit of math about sprockets.

stock 14 50 .28
    14 47 .2978
    14 45 .31
    15 50 .30
    15 55 .2727

14 55 .2545

As you can see the numbers are close but make a huge difference in pull. I did the 14 47 and I was ok with it but went back to the stock to go to moab and am not changing back. As you can see the real difference in pulling power is the 14 55. a 21/2 difference is huge compared to the others combinations.
    admiral and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links