LuvNot's TW200 Progress - Page 10
Close

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Like Tree993Likes

Thread: LuvNot's TW200 Progress

Looks like yesterday's posts didn't go through. Humph. Anyway, I'm making more progress on the dashboard.

Cleaned up the card board mock-up and traced the trail tech in the place I thought it would fit best.
    20160301_191438_resized.jpg
    However, after looking at his a bit more, I think instead of leaving the lights up high I'm going to move the Trail Tech up and put the lights below it. This will let me see the Trail Tech over the top of the GPS, which will now have to live on a RAM mount since I've lost real estate up on the top shelf. And I really don't want the lights to be distracting. They should just "be there" when needed, not be the focal point of the dash.

While I was out there, I also traced out some side panels to make the faring more unique.
    SideInsertMockup.jpg
    This will help hide some of the mess from the side, and if I keep it a copper color, will tie in nicely with the rest of the bike.

This evening, I traced the dashboard shape onto a clean piece of card stock, cut that out, then used that as an edge to hot-wire the shape into a block of foam.
    dash 2 foam hotwired to shape.jpg
    This will give me depth to the final dash.

Since I'm using cheap bondo brand fiberglass resin, I covered the foam with two layers of tape: 1st layer was blue painter's tape, and the 2nd layer was the metal HVAC tape.
    dash 3 foam taped in prep.jpg
    The HVAC tape makes a perfect surface to spray a mold release on, making the forms relatively easy to pop out after the first layer has cured.

And here's the first layer on the form. This layer is regular woven cloth laid over the form so the weave is in a diagonal pattern. This let the cloth conform to the curves better - I only had to snip a slight tension release in the sharper 90o corners.
    dash 4 first layer of fiberglass.jpg
    Once this dries, I'll pop it out, flip it over, and fill in the back side with a couple of layers of chopped fiberglass matt. This will add volume and strength.

I'm not a fan of glossy dashboards (sun glare under the sunglasses is a literal pain), so I'll either use a matt black spray and add some painted details in copper, or probably spray this with a black bed-liner and 3D print some fancy scroll-work to glue on later. I like the idea of the latter, but it all depends on how much is left in the budget. I can always wait until next year to finish the updates. We'll see.
    Last edited by LuvNot; 03-02-2016 at 05:10 PM.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Making incremental progress.
    Good news... the dash fits perfectly in place and I figured out how to add it to the bike so it's independent of the fairing. That way if I lose the fairing, I don't lose the dash.
    dash 5 fiberglass on bike.jpg

Bad news... the fiberglass looks like crap. I'm going to try one more plug, then may fall back and use a nice piece of hardboard or solid wood board that's been sealed to the nth degree. I want the light weight and strength of fiberglass, but need a nice surface. Starting to get impatient, which is never good. Must. Not. Rush!
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I looked into using plastic, but don't have access to anything locally. Cutting boards were my next choice, but I feel they're too heavy. So, after waking at 3 this morning (stupid obsessive brain), I decided to fall back and work something I know is quick and easy: hardboard.
    dash 6 hardboard.jpg
    It's not perfect, but it did give me the satisfaction of actually putting everything together with all the nuts, bolts, and electrical hookups. My brain can now take a breath and just s t o p.

Once I get all the measurements settled, I'll tackle a more permanent material. For now, I need to obsess over how to contain the indicator lights.
    dash 6 rear view.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

With that fairing on your TW, you'll probably get about 200 mpg. lol Seriously, it's looking very nice.
    littletommy, LuvNot and TWilight like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Well I just couldn't stand it any longer! The weather this morning was in the upper 40's, with this afternoon forecast to be in the 70's! I just had to ride the little guy! So yesterday I glassed over the hardboard mockup, then created a make-shift way to hold the indicator LEDs in place. O'dark-thirty this morning found me outside with a head lamp adding everything to the handlebars, plus a RAM mount so I could use my phone as a speedometer (I use DigiHUD). Then I was off to work! What a great day to go for a short ride!

Here's what it looks like today.
    dash 7 indicator lights.jpg
    Obviously, this isn't permanent - but it was enough to get me on the road. Since the old factory sockets for the indicators are just too big and bulky for this kind of application, I ordered some mini SMD LED lights from superbrightleds.com that will literally fit flush to the dashboard. They reassured me that these can be wired directly into the system without any additional resistors, so... YaY!

My other quick job tonight before it got dark was to superglue the magnet for the TrailTech to the fender. Don't know how long it will last, but it should be long enough for me to calibrate the speedometer. Then I'LL JB-Weld the sucker into place before actually riding again.
    20160308_165000_resized.jpg 20160308_165331_resized.jpg
    The HVAC tape saves the day once more as it holds the magnet in place long enough for the glue to set.

Tonight I'm working with a couple of digital art programs to make a "pretty" face plate. That will be imported into Sketch-up to form a 3D template that can be sent to Shapeway for printing. Depending on the cost, it will be one solid piece that can be backed by the hardboard, or if it's too expensive, just the filigree and indicator framework. Either way, I'm excited to see how this all turns out.

Yesterday I founds some pretty art deco linework and mocked up a couple of dashing possibilities.
    dash options.jpg
    Went to see Zootopia after work today with Mom so didn't do much else.
    Going to bed now - have to be at work by 5am tomorrow Gnah, it's gonna be a long day.

Got Not One Damn Thing Done Tonight.
    DangerSlowMod.jpg
    And I'm Alright With That...

rbm
    I need to print that sign for my garage!

Since I'm waiting for the LEDs to come in the mail, I took the bike in to the shop today for normal servicing. While there, they'll replace the steering bearing. I know you guys can do this yourself, but with the steering bearing, I'd rather not futz around with makeshift tools when the pros have the ability to do it right.
    TWilight and jtomelliott49 like this.

While waiting to get my bike back from the shop, I took TWilight's advice and ordered some plastic online to make the final dashboard. Found 8 sheets of 12" x 12" kydex for $20 on Amazon. Not too bad. Plenty to practice with, mess up, and save for future projects.

It's difficult to see the holes where the SMD LED lights shine through on this picture, but at 15lm each, I shouldn't have any problem seeing the lights in the day. If anything, they may end up being a nuisance at night. We'll see.
    Dash_Final_Front.jpg

You can see the back is in 2 pieces to make changing the lights easier if needed. The kydex cut easily with a jigsaw and glued together well using Gorilla brand super glue.
    Dash_Final_Back.jpg

I haven't installed the 12V socket and USB plug yet. Those will be installed after I ride a bit with the dashboard to make sure I like it on the bike. All told, it's coming together pretty well.

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links