LuvNot's TW200 Progress - Page 28
Close

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast
Like Tree928Likes

Thread: LuvNot's TW200 Progress

Are you referring to the bolt that holds the handlebar clamps? Mirror clamp bolts?
    littletommy likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    Are you referring to the bolt that holds the handlebar clamps? Mirror clamp bolts?
    Yep. Here's the pics.
    You can see the head that I ripped off like a savage. And see the bolt still in there.

brokebolt1.jpgbrokebolt2.jpgbrokebolt3.jpg

Last time I did this was the first time Dave walked me through changing the brake shoes on my truck. He showed me how to put it all back together and had me do one side while he did the other.

Me putting the screw into the piece that holds the pad: "How tight should this be?"

Dave, crawling under his side of the truck: "Just tighten it down. Don't worry, you can't break anything."

Me, thirty seconds later: "Um... how bad is it if I broke the bolt?"

Dave, looking alarmed: "... wha... "

Needless to say, he's careful not to say I can't break things anymore.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I was up until after midnight to read this entire thread. This is an incredible journey and the staying power to do the things that need to be done or that you want to do for whatever reason is just incredible. Frankly, I would have given up several times, cursed my way to the junk yard and be done with it. Regrets afterwards: Of course but a small satisfaction to have gotten rid of the "nag". But you are getting the work done is much more satisfying, of course. Can' believe you have so many bikes/scooters and the bus to work on while still tinkering around on / with the TWs. This is passion and love, I say - even if your handle is "LoveNot" ... I have learned so much reading this thread - Thanks for sharing

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Luv's quite talented. We love her posts here.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Luv's quite talented. We love her posts here.
    Shouldn't that be, We "Luv" her posts here?
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I've seen her fall over in the mud and come up laughing. That told me a lot about her and its all good!!!

LOL, thanks, guys.

Yam200, glad you enjoyed the thread.

I do try to provide as much good content as possible to give back to this community. I've learned a great deal reading through not only this site, but also some of the older posts from a previous incarnation of this site that still come up on Google searches. Hopefully, my stuff will eventually help a newbie when they see it's not quite so mysterious and difficult as we first think.
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Well... I installed new handlebars on Frank this weekend and....................

I think I broke my brake switch. While putting on a farkle near the brake lever, I tried to lift it out of the way and heard/felt a distinct CrAck! And now my rear brake light is either on all the time, or won't brighten when the brake is applied - I can't tell which.

So... how does the brake switch work? How is it attached? The boot over it appears to be hard plastic. Is that a push-in? Does it thread on? Is it something I can fix with some solder and duck tape? Or will I have to buy a whole new switch/wire?
    Ken likes this.

Took forever to figure out how to remove the switch. Found the little tab on the bottom by trial and error. Ordered new switches for both the front and rear, which came in today along with some tusk hand guards and some risers.
    I actually got some good stuff done this afternoon.
    • Installed the new front and rear brake switches - which fixed the brake light issue. The spring on the rear switch was pretty much shot. I may have been able to replace it, but the switches weren't expensive and having new ones on an old bike provide peace of mind.
    • Tried to install the hand guards - without luck. They won't work with the handlebars because the right hand brake line runs too close to the inner bar anchor point and I can't twist it out of the way without making the brake lever inaccessible or putting the bar so high that it wouldn't protect the levers at all. Not sure what to do about this. May have to figure out a different style of guards. Or go back to the original handlebars.
    • And with the help of some WD40, two super long tire spoons from Harbor Freight, and 200lbs of body weight, I mounted the rear tire on my new rim! Wiped off the WD40, then filled it with air and got both beads to pop at 12lbs. Put another 3lbs in it for 15lbs total. Should I add more for street riding? Frank is still my daily driver and I have a full week on regular roads.

20170428_192741_resized.jpg

Between the newly mounted rear tire and the front tire I bought from Heli-Mech, tomorrow Frank will get new shoes!
    20170428_192801_resized.jpg

Along with re-shoeing Frank, tomorrow I'll also work on Charlotte.
    She'll get new risers, some hand guards, mirrors for both sides of the handlebars, and a new front tire.

Hopefully this will be it for getting the bikes ready. I'll devote Sunday to getting the tents and stuff ready for next weekend. Can't wait to meet everyone up in Little Orleans!

Ungh, I hate the warm weather!

Got a good workout this morning putting on the new tires and a new chain.
    20170429_145149_resized.jpg

Found out some interesting things:
    1. I have now learned how to install a new chain! The original chain used with the 45 tooth sprocket was just a tad too small for the 50 tooth that was on the new rim. Luckily, I bought a chain break tool back when I first got Frank, so I pulled that out along with the new chain/master link, some wire, needle nose pliers, flat-head screw drivers, a small hammer, and my portable vice. I removed the old master link, wired the new chain to the old, pulled both through the front sprocket, lined up the new chain so it was just right when the wheel was farthest forward, got it to the right link, popped the extra off, added the new master link, and... DONE! Finally!
      20170429_135339_resized.jpg 20170429_135451_resized.jpg
    2. When I took Frank out for a test spin through the yard, I had a hard time adjusting the brakes. I don't know why I looked at Charlotte, but damn if I didn't discover Frank is missing the springs found on the rear wheel hub assembly's brake lever! No wonder I've been having issues. Funny how having a second bike makes it easier to spot things that are missing!!! Parts are on order and should be in Monday or Tuesday.
    3. The front wheel feels funny. It's a Kenda, though I couldn't tell which model - I was hot, tired and just wanted to finally clean up and cool off. Looking at the website now, I think it's probably the 270. The tire is nice and knobby! Should hold well in dirt. But on pavement, while it feels okay and tracks straight, trying to turn is a strange feeling. It really doesn't like 'em and will pull you right back up as soon as you're mostly out of the lean. Now granted, I understand going from street tires to knobbies is going to feel different. But this just feels really odd.

I'm going to give it another hour too cool off, then go for a ride this evening. Not too far, just some back roads to get a better feel for the bike, it's new gearing and the new tires. Hope y'all are having a great weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scotti158, Dryden-Tdub and admiral like this.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Sponosred Links