Diary of my a custom TW 200 build - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Diary of my a custom TW 200 build

Quote Originally Posted by n8bone View Post
    This thread rules!!!

Thanks for all the pics, Cat!

Thanks N8! I had this thread started on the old forum and thought I'd re-start it here. I'm kinda bummed that we're limited to only a certain number of photos per post, hence the many posts to start the thread.

I've actually done quite a bit since my last update, so I'll add more photos later today!
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

Catamount, Where in VT are you? I'm up In North Hyde Park near the Eden Line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    Catamount, Where in VT are you? I'm up In North Hyde Park near the Eden Line.

Hey there! I'm down near Burlington. Your area is beautiful... I spent more than a few summers at Mt. Norris scount camp. What year is your Tee Dubs?

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What a great diary ... for TW200!!

Thanks for the sharing.

And learned alot about the bench work.

Lookin' good!

One of the problems I needed to solve after putting in a taller shock was the kickstand length. It was way too short after adding the Blaster shock.

The good news is that the OEM handlebars are the exact same outer diameter as the kickstand. I decided to weld a section of my old handlebars into the kickstand with parts of a bolt as backing.

45.jpg

46.jpg

After smoothing out the welds. It's not pretty but I'm not a welder, either.

finishedkickstand.jpg

At this point I powder coated it and put it back on the bike.

I also added a new speedometer with sweet blue back lighting. Thanks to ChopperCharles for telling me about this!

44.jpg
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 12:01 PM.

This weekend I tackled the exhaust.

49.jpg

I knew I had to replace the OEM piece and I had already picked up a stainless header from a TTR-225 on eBay a while back. A couple of people have had luck with the FMF Turbine Core 2 universal pipe so I ordered one up. They run about $120.

It looks good and sounds even better! I haven't had the bike under any load yet so I can't comment on performance yet but trust the previous reports I've heard from our forum members.

50.jpg

One thing I changed was the mount. This can comes with a wrap-around hangar that covers the FMF logo when bolted up to our TWs. So I took a cutting disc to it and chopped it up. I riveted the section I was left with to the can and it looks much more clean.

ivets.jpg

Around this time I also finally fitted up a new o-ring chain to replace the very cheap OEM.

58.jpg
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Back when I started this project, I started looking for headlights. I liked the Harley Sportster headlight that one of the forum members mounted up to his TW.

I ended up finding this huge headlight is from an enormous 1,600cc Victory Vegas motorcycle. I found it on eBay for $30.

When it arrived it seemed way too big, and I had no idea how I was going to mount it to the bike.

After playing with some angle iron and my welder, I came up with a bracket that I've now powder coated.

The mount looks bent because of the wide-angle lens.

52.jpg

The headlight used to live there...

53.jpg

...and now it lives here!

fromtheside.jpg

At first I thought it just looked too big, but it's grown on me. I think the large proportion goes well with the large proportion of the lugs on the front tire.

headlightx.jpg

The chrome bucket goes with the chrome speedometer as well.

cockpit.jpg
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Looks great so far. I'm looking forward to your next segment. What handle bars are those (type/bend)?
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

It's fascinating, watching the changes. I'm changing up a TW quite a bit this year as well, but nothing like this.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links