TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Diary of my a custom TW 200 build

191K views 136 replies 64 participants last post by  BorealRider 
#1 · (Edited)
Earlier this spring, a friend of mine sent me a link to a 1994 TW 200 for sale in our area. I wasn't in the market for another bike but have heard only good things about these "Tee Dubs" so I thought I'd check it out. It was pretty cheap... $600.

I ended up snapping it up and driving it around for a month or so. I loved the bike!

The day I bought the bike:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Moped Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Supermoto Car

However, I also had a laundry list of things I'd like to change, especially after finding this forum. Once the bike hit 10,000 miles on the nose and I decided that 10k miles is a good time for a complete rebuild.

• Replace street tires with knobby tires
  • Replace bent handlebars with new upgraded aluminum bars
  • Replace boxy headlight with single round or double round
  • Get rid of plastics and grind down their mounting posts
  • Remove and grind down passenger pegs
  • Upgrade to a larger tank (the XT350 tank is a direct fit)
  • Recover the red seat or find a used black seat
  • Repaint the frame and swingarm black

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm not going to go as crazy as some of these examples, but here are some custom TW 200s that I'm taking ideas from:

So the other night I fired up my air ratchet and started tearing this thing apart. As of last night, I'm down to the bare frame.

I'm going to keep this post updated with the build. Suggestions and comments are welcome!

Before:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Moped Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Supermoto Car

Starting to strip the bike down:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Tire

Vehicle Machine Wheel Workshop

Reactions: tcepilot
#3 · (Edited)
My new rubber came in!

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motorcycle

Stock rear knobby (180/80-14) and Maxxis 6006 (130/80-18) front.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire

In-progress in my "other bay"... exhaust valve re-shim on Speed Triple:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

#4 · (Edited)
The only running bike... 1978 CB 125:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Okay, now the engine is out. Easily lifted by one guy. Nice.

Toolroom Miter saw Tool accessory Radial arm saw Engine

Carnage. Some of these parts will go back on the bike, many will go on eBay.

Vehicle Auto part

Stay tuned for more updates as work continues...

Reactions: tcepilot
#5 · (Edited)
April 18th, 2010

My friend came over and helped me mount up my knobbies.

That is a Maxxis 6006 front and a TW34 rear.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Motor vehicle

April 20th, 2010

I'm going minimal on this bike... no plastics. In order to prep the frame, I'm grinding down the plastic mounting posts and tabs for the airbox.

Metal Vehicle Machine Steel

April 23rd, 2010

Home-style sandblasting. A few hours in the driveway with a 40 pound sandblaster, a 100 pound bag of "black beauty" and a compressor working overtime.

Pipe Vehicle Auto part Plant Car

It is seriously amazing what air pressure can do for you.

Vehicle Car Auto part Soil

Frame and swingarm ready for paint!

Wood

#6 · (Edited)
April 25th, 2010

Back from the powdercoater! I think he did an excellent job. Bob at Vermont Powdercoating did the work and really gave me a great deal.

Auto part

Product Furniture Wood

May 3rd, 2010

The engine was originally gray in color. It was also heavily scratched. I decided to clean it up and use some black enamel engine paint on it.

Circular saw Auto part Engine Vehicle

May 6th, 2010

Someone on the TW200 forums found that the shock from a Yamaha Blaster is a direct fit for the TW, but 2 inches taller.

This will really jack the rear end of the bike up once mounted. The only problem was that the bushing was far too lose. I had a machinist friend bore me the perfect bushing and press it in for me.

The shock was $8 on eBay and the machining work cost me a case of Miller High Life (hey, his choice!).

Suspension part Coil spring Shock absorber Suspension Auto part

Current status:

Vehicle Toolroom Auto part Engine Tool

Stay tuned for sprockets, chain and wheels!

#7 · (Edited)
No more dates as they're all blending together on me...

Had to get rid of all of those nasty stripped JIS head bolts. Ordered up a set of SS hex head bolts. Of course a few were missing.

So much bling! I'm ballin.

Auto part Carburetor Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part

Sprocket time. I'm a fan of having more teeth to spread the load. Upping from the stock 14t to a 15t up front.

Bicycle part Gear Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part Crankset

The rear goes from stock 50t to a new 55t. The overall gear difference is slightly lower than stock.

Tire Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Wheel

I've heard good things about this vinyl spray so I gave it a shot.

Vehicle Bicycle saddle Tire Automotive tire Fender

#8 · (Edited)
The original steering bearings were loose ball bearings and the feel was notchy. I decided to upgrade to some tapered bearings. Packed 'em with grease and punched 'em on.

Table Wheel Metal

Also decided to powder coat the triple trees. They were looking a little ragged, so why not?

Auto part Bicycle part Suspension Bicycle drivetrain part Brake

Now that I've got trees, I can mount my forks and bars!

Tool Machine Vehicle Toolroom Workbench

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Motorcycle

#9 · (Edited)
I was getting tired of bringing things to the powder coater so I started doing a little research on what it would take to do it at home. It turns out that you don't need much technology to powder coat in the comfort of your own garage!

On Friday, I picked up the last thing I needed to give this a go... a sandblast cabinet (Craigslist find). This antique is homemade but it works amazingly well and can fit semi-large items, unlike many of the bench top models.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Machine Gas

Turned these...

Auto part Exhaust manifold Automotive exhaust

Into...

Bicycle handlebar Pipe

Now into the cardboard box for application of high voltage powder with $60 Eastwood powder coating gun. It looks gray, but it's semi-gloss black. There are zillions of colors available.

Clothes hanger Architecture Urinal

Into the a free Craigslist oven (cracked glass top) for 25 minutes at 400 degrees and the brackets ready for another 20 years of dirt roads.

Auto part Bicycle part Bicycle fork Suspension Bicycle handlebar

Honestly, this was about $150 invested in tools including the sandblaster, free oven and Eastwood Hot Coat powder coating gun from eBay.

The process is also pretty stupid-proof. I highly recommend it if you have the need and the space!

#11 ·
Thanks N8! I had this thread started on the old forum and thought I'd re-start it here. I'm kinda bummed that we're limited to only a certain number of photos per post, hence the many posts to start the thread.

I've actually done quite a bit since my last update, so I'll add more photos later today!

#13 ·
Hey there! I'm down near Burlington. Your area is beautiful... I spent more than a few summers at Mt. Norris scount camp. What year is your Tee Dubs?

Reactions: nodakdave
#16 · (Edited)
One of the problems I needed to solve after putting in a taller shock was the kickstand length. It was way too short after adding the Blaster shock.

The good news is that the OEM handlebars are the exact same outer diameter as the kickstand. I decided to weld a section of my old handlebars into the kickstand with parts of a bolt as backing.

Metalworking hand tool Tool Wood Metal

Light Tire Wheel Sky Automotive tire

After smoothing out the welds. It's not pretty but I'm not a welder, either.

String instrument Bowed string instrument

At this point I powder coated it and put it back on the bike.

I also added a new speedometer with sweet blue back lighting. Thanks to ChopperCharles for telling me about this!

Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument Tachometer Tool

#17 · (Edited)
This weekend I tackled the exhaust.

Auto part

I knew I had to replace the OEM piece and I had already picked up a stainless header from a TTR-225 on eBay a while back. A couple of people have had luck with the FMF Turbine Core 2 universal pipe so I ordered one up. They run about $120.

It looks good and sounds even better! I haven't had the bike under any load yet so I can't comment on performance yet but trust the previous reports I've heard from our forum members.

Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

One thing I changed was the mount. This can comes with a wrap-around hangar that covers the FMF logo when bolted up to our TWs. So I took a cutting disc to it and chopped it up. I riveted the section I was left with to the can and it looks much more clean.

Auto part Suspension Trunk

Around this time I also finally fitted up a new o-ring chain to replace the very cheap OEM.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Bicycle tire

#18 · (Edited)
Back when I started this project, I started looking for headlights. I liked the Harley Sportster headlight that one of the forum members mounted up to his TW.

I ended up finding this huge headlight is from an enormous 1,600cc Victory Vegas motorcycle. I found it on eBay for $30.

When it arrived it seemed way too big, and I had no idea how I was going to mount it to the bike.

After playing with some angle iron and my welder, I came up with a bracket that I've now powder coated.

The mount looks bent because of the wide-angle lens.

Light Product Automotive lighting Auto part Room

The headlight used to live there...

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Cruiser

...and now it lives here!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Tire

At first I thought it just looked too big, but it's grown on me. I think the large proportion goes well with the large proportion of the lugs on the front tire.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motorcycle

The chrome bucket goes with the chrome speedometer as well.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Motorcycle accessories Suspension

#21 ·
#26 · (Edited)
Hey Adam! I did all of the soldering myself. That is really all there is too it... joining the wires from the old headlight / turn signals / speedometer to the new parts.

If you don't know how to solder, it is very easy and inexpensive and worth learning how to do. You should also pick up some shrink wrap to put over your connections after you've soldered them -- it makes for a professional and long lasting repair.

sweet ride dude ! i admire all the custom work going into your bike.

I was curious what year rear shock is that off of ? i was crusing ebay for one just now, but there seems to be a shitload that pop up all diff colors and years.
Thanks! Your bike looks sweet! Is that the stock shock on yours currently? Also, could you tell me what kind of tail light that is? Does it have integrated blinkers? I need something like that!

I went back through my records and realized that the seller never told me what year the Blaster shock was off of. One thing is for sure, you shouldn't pay much for it -- mine was $8 plus shipping!

#24 ·
sweet ride dude ! i admire all the custom work going into your bike.

I was curious what year rear shock is that off of ? i was crusing ebay for one just now, but there seems to be a shitload that pop up all diff colors and years.

this is what my bike looks like currently, needs more work but tons of fun.

#63 ·
Hi

very good job, I thought I was the only one who was linked to Japan in the place

Where are you located there?

Cheers

#27 ·
Yea Im currently using the stock shock, with my 150mm Beams Ext kit i bottom out on my license plate now... so i either have to get a taller shock or relocate my license plate.

this is the tailight im running http://www.rucksters.com/product/productdetail.asp?productid=6105 it doesn't have integrated blinkers, but im using 5 led sealed leds as my blinkers on both sides.

hmm i guess ill just take a gamble and buy one. are the front and rear shocks the same ? for the blaster.

#28 ·
are the front and rear shocks the same ? for the blaster.

That is another good question! I'd check out a site with microfiche so you could compare the part numbers for the shocks and see if it matters.

#30 · (Edited)
The progress continues. Since I was doing away with the plastic side covers, I was going to have to make the airbox / battery holder better looking.

This is just not very nice to look at:

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

One of the aesthetic things I liked about many of the Japanese TW customizations I've seen was hole between the rear tire and seat. I guess that is why they call these "hollow" mods.

I got the air filter and crankcase breather taken care of with some cone filters, but still had to find a way to hold the battery. First I looked for the thinest 12v battery I could find with similar specs to the stock battery. I ended up with an inexpensive battery used for fire exit lighting in buildings.

Then I played with some cardboard to make a mock-up that would fit inside the frame. I transferred the mock-up to a sheet of metal from Lowes and then made the bends using a piece of wood clamped to the face of my workbench. Not scientific by any means!

I am a IT guy by day, not a metal worker, so it's not perfect. Rivets hold the corners together.

Box

From there it went to the oven for a coating of powder and then onto the bike. I'm happy to report that the battery and wiring harness fit completely inside the box. Phew.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part

And I like how it's barely visible from the side.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

#72 ·
The progress continues. Since I was doing away with the plastic side covers, I was going to have to make the airbox / battery holder better looking.

This is just not very nice to look at:

One of the aesthetic things I liked about many of the Japanese TW customizations I've seen was hole between the rear tire and seat. I guess that is why they call these "hollow" mods.

I got the air filter and crankcase breather taken care of with some cone filters, but still had to find a way to hold the battery. First I looked for the thinest 12v battery I could find with similar specs to the stock battery. I ended up with an inexpensive battery used for fire exit lighting in buildings.

Then I played with some cardboard to make a mock-up that would fit inside the frame. I transferred the mock-up to a sheet of metal from Lowes and then made the bends using a piece of wood clamped to the face of my workbench. Not scientific by any means!

I am a IT guy by day, not a metal worker, so it's not perfect. Rivets hold the corners together.

From there it went to the oven for a coating of powder and then onto the bike. I'm happy to report that the battery and wiring harness fit completely inside the box. Phew.

And I like how it's barely visible from the side.

#31 · (Edited)
Around this time, I also did "hitch pin mod". This makes getting your seat off-and-on as easy as pulling two hitch pins.

You get 2 M6 x 1.00 x 40 bolts from your local hardware store and then cut the heads off. Then you mark where the pin passes through the frame mount and drill a hole big enough for the hitch pin that you also picked up at the hardware store. The result looks like this and works incredibly well.

Time to put on the $18 over-sized foot pegs that I learned about from mudpuppy in this thread. Thanks mudpuppy!

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Brake Clutch

These things are a bargain and how can you possibly go wrong for $18 shipped???

I then wired up this LED combination tail light, brake light, turn signal unit. I'm not really sold on the way it looks, but it's going to have to work.

Automotive lighting Light Motorcycle accessories Auto part

Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Auto part Bicycle wheel

One last thing to do... get the gas tank finished!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.