Diary of my a custom TW 200 build
Close

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Diary of my a custom TW 200 build

Earlier this spring, a friend of mine sent me a link to a 1994 TW 200 for sale in our area. I wasn't in the market for another bike but have heard only good things about these "Tee Dubs" so I thought I'd check it out. It was pretty cheap... $600.

I ended up snapping it up and driving it around for a month or so. I loved the bike!

The day I bought the bike:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

However, I also had a laundry list of things I'd like to change, especially after finding this forum. Once the bike hit 10,000 miles on the nose and I decided that 10k miles is a good time for a complete rebuild.

• Replace street tires with knobby tires
    • Replace bent handlebars with new upgraded aluminum bars
    • Replace boxy headlight with single round or double round
    • Get rid of plastics and grind down their mounting posts
    • Remove and grind down passenger pegs
    • Upgrade to a larger tank (the XT350 tank is a direct fit)
    • Recover the red seat or find a used black seat
    • Repaint the frame and swingarm black
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

I'm not going to go as crazy as some of these examples, but here are some custom TW 200s that I'm taking ideas from:

So the other night I fired up my air ratchet and started tearing this thing apart. As of last night, I'm down to the bare frame.

I'm going to keep this post updated with the build. Suggestions and comments are welcome!

Before:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Starting to strip the bike down:

6.jpg

7.jpg
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    tcepilot likes this.

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

My new rubber came in!

5.jpg

Stock rear knobby (180/80-14) and Maxxis 6006 (130/80-18) front.

dsc08699i.jpg

In-progress in my "other bay"... exhaust valve re-shim on Speed Triple:

dsc08702i.jpg
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 11:38 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The only running bike... 1978 CB 125:

dsc08703.jpg

Okay, now the engine is out. Easily lifted by one guy. Nice.

20.jpg

Carnage. Some of these parts will go back on the bike, many will go on eBay.

9.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates as work continues...
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 11:39 AM.
    tcepilot likes this.

April 18th, 2010

My friend came over and helped me mount up my knobbies.

That is a Maxxis 6006 front and a TW34 rear.

wheelsmounted.jpg

April 20th, 2010

I'm going minimal on this bike... no plastics. In order to prep the frame, I'm grinding down the plastic mounting posts and tabs for the airbox.

12.jpg

April 23rd, 2010

Home-style sandblasting. A few hours in the driveway with a 40 pound sandblaster, a 100 pound bag of "black beauty" and a compressor working overtime.

dsc08745l.jpg

It is seriously amazing what air pressure can do for you.

14.jpg

Frame and swingarm ready for paint!

dsc08749d.jpg
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 11:39 AM.

April 25th, 2010

Back from the powdercoater! I think he did an excellent job. Bob at Vermont Powdercoating did the work and really gave me a great deal.

18.jpg

19.jpg

May 3rd, 2010

The engine was originally gray in color. It was also heavily scratched. I decided to clean it up and use some black enamel engine paint on it.

21.jpg

May 6th, 2010

Someone on the TW200 forums found that the shock from a Yamaha Blaster is a direct fit for the TW, but 2 inches taller.

This will really jack the rear end of the bike up once mounted. The only problem was that the bushing was far too lose. I had a machinist friend bore me the perfect bushing and press it in for me.

The shock was $8 on eBay and the machining work cost me a case of Miller High Life (hey, his choice!).

22.jpg

Current status:

23.jpg

Stay tuned for sprockets, chain and wheels!
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 11:40 AM.

No more dates as they're all blending together on me...

Had to get rid of all of those nasty stripped JIS head bolts. Ordered up a set of SS hex head bolts. Of course a few were missing.

So much bling! I'm ballin.

25.jpg

Sprocket time. I'm a fan of having more teeth to spread the load. Upping from the stock 14t to a 15t up front.

frontsprocket.jpg

The rear goes from stock 50t to a new 55t. The overall gear difference is slightly lower than stock.

27.jpg

I've heard good things about this vinyl spray so I gave it a shot.

seat.jpg
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 01:28 PM.

The original steering bearings were loose ball bearings and the feel was notchy. I decided to upgrade to some tapered bearings. Packed 'em with grease and punched 'em on.

30.jpg

Also decided to powder coat the triple trees. They were looking a little ragged, so why not?

stemd.jpg

Now that I've got trees, I can mount my forks and bars!

32.jpg

33.jpg
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 12:00 PM.

I was getting tired of bringing things to the powder coater so I started doing a little research on what it would take to do it at home. It turns out that you don't need much technology to powder coat in the comfort of your own garage!

On Friday, I picked up the last thing I needed to give this a go... a sandblast cabinet (Craigslist find). This antique is homemade but it works amazingly well and can fit semi-large items, unlike many of the bench top models.

36.jpg

Turned these...

37.jpg

Into...

35426404359536585500061.jpg

Now into the cardboard box for application of high voltage powder with $60 Eastwood powder coating gun. It looks gray, but it's semi-gloss black. There are zillions of colors available.

35426404359541585500061.jpg

Into the a free Craigslist oven (cracked glass top) for 25 minutes at 400 degrees and the brackets ready for another 20 years of dirt roads.

42.jpg

Honestly, this was about $150 invested in tools including the sandblaster, free oven and Eastwood Hot Coat powder coating gun from eBay.

The process is also pretty stupid-proof. I highly recommend it if you have the need and the space!
    Last edited by catamount; 10-27-2016 at 11:41 AM.

This thread rules!!!

Thanks for all the pics, Cat!
    Hidden Content : KLR pegs, 47t sprocket, cyclerack, Bridgestone 203/204, D.I.D. o-ring chain, Jimbo shield

Hidden Content : gone to a new home. it was my first...had it for 14 years. miss it sometimes.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links