Trailer Wheel (TW) Mod for the TW200 - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree648Likes

Thread: Trailer Wheel (TW) Mod for the TW200

To avoid nasty rubbing one might wish to go slightly smaller. These might be better. images-13.jpegAnyone have any good mounting suggestions?
    Last edited by Fred; 10-25-2015 at 11:59 AM.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

All these ATV tires are pretty heavy compared to stock but going 12" cuts the weight and the smaller sizes might fit in stock swing arm just fine while not needing any gearing changes due to greater carcass diameter.
    roctanespec2.jpg
    A 25 x 8 x 12 might be a good option.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-25-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    plumbstraight likes this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    You don't want them rubbing on you so slightly smaller might be better. images-13.jpegAnyone have any good mounting suggestions?
    You probably wouldn't mount them properly Fred. Send them to me and I will mount them for you

Tom
    ejfranz likes this.
    Never, in the history of mankind, have lives, less lived, been so well chronicled.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Tom, your sense of self sacrifice is admirable. Sure you could endure the possible nasty rubbing?
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Wow! Thanks for the comments and questions, I'll try to answer all of your questions as best I can.

First off - Fred, those look just about right .

I thought that a few of you might be interested in this mod, so I had already asked Mike if he would be interested in doing more of these. He said sure. He said that mine took him a little longer than the next ones would because he had to think about how best to do things and in what sequence. He said that it is not a difficult job and is pretty straightforward but does involve quite a few individual operations and needs care taken to center and true things up properly. He charged me $175.00 and said that is what would charge for additional wheels. I know that that is a little pricier than what I was hoping for, but I would guess that the total cost of having this done is probably pretty close to the price a new stock wheel.

I will have to talk to Mike about the logistics of building up a few of these wheels for people spread out across the country. These parts are heavy and bulky, so shipping costs will not be trivial.

Speaking of weight, the wheel, hub and brake drum assembly as shown below weighs 19 lbs. I don't have a bare stock wheel for a direct comparison, but the stock wheel with tire shown below weighs 32.6 lbs.

100_5590.JPG

100_5598.JPG

I have considered getting another Duro Power Grip tire so I could do a direct comparison of weight between my current Duro on the stock wheel and a Duro on the trailer wheel, but since there are so many other options available I am not sure that I will go with another Duro.

The reason that I went with the 12" wheel is that is what the other guys have used, I have also read that there is a greater selection of tires available than in the 14" size, and Little Big Foot told be that the 12" trailer rim is significantly lighter than a 14" rim (I have not confirmed this to see how significant the weight difference is).

Regarding the completed tire diameter. I am currently running a 26"(diameter)x8x14 Duro. I can also get a 26"(diameter)x9x12 Duro, so the diameter of the completed tire can remain the same even though it is on a smaller wheel (greater sidewall on the tire).

Regarding bead seating pressures, Little Big Foot said "Tire seated at 25lbs first side and 30 the other side, just pop pop".

I picked a white trailer wheel just because that seemed to be what most of the cheaper ones are. I expected that it would require some machining and I would have to paint it anyways. I had visions of getting everything back covered in weld splatter, cutting and grinding marks, etc. that would require a lot of cosmetic cleanup however the pictures I posted are just the way that I got it back from Mike - very clean with no cosmetic cleanup needed. Besides, satin black will match my Joemama swingarm and the rest of my bike's color scheme.

I do not see any reason why an aluminum trailer wheel could not be made to work. I don't know if those aluminum wheels are cast, forged or machined from billet and I do not know what detrimental impact the notching might have on these different types of aluminum wheels. I guess someone will have to be the first to give one a try.
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 12-29-2015 at 02:23 PM.
    ejfranz, joeband, jbfla and 3 others like this.
    site:tw200forum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Tom, your sense of self sacrifice is admirable. Sure you could endure the possible nasty rubbing?
    I didn't say I would enjoy it. Just taking one "actually two" for the team.

I probably won't get it perfect the first time but I resolve to mount them as many times as it takes until it is perfect. Just the kind of guy I am.

Tom
    Last edited by Dryden-Tdub; 10-25-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    Mel, Fred and TWilight like this.
    Never, in the history of mankind, have lives, less lived, been so well chronicled.

I am really liking the thought of being able to "plug" a tire without having to remove the rim and tire in the field, with the tubeless tire route.
    I have been browsing ways to make a spoked rim into a tubeless rim, but this is a better way of getting that modification done. I have also been browsing the run flat foam for atv tires, there is several options.

Any thoughts on combining the atv run flat foam wedges that are now out on the market, with this trailer rim and a DOT atv tire setup?
    Hidden Content 2013 TW200
    Seat Concepts seat, Cycleracks rear rack w/pannier brackets, Clarke XT350 Translucent fuel tank, 90` fuel filter, Cycra Probend handguards, DMO footpegs, Kick Starter, Shortened Tail Lights, Ricochet Skid Plate, High Fender Mod, Shinko 241 Trials front Tire, Stock Rear Tire, Upgraded chain, Procycle rear bracket and LED brake light, Jet Kit, Powermadd 2" handlebar riser, seat bolt mod with cables, Versa Pack Tank & Pannier Bags, $1.00 Dairy Crate, NelsonRigg mini tank bag, 14/47

i'd never thought of going this route, but the list of advantages certainly makes one consider it. $175 is cheaper than any rear wheels i see on eBay, all ranging from $300- 400.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Can this be done with the stock length swing arm? Or is it necessary to extend the swing arm as part of running atv tires.
    Hidden Content 2013 TW200
    Seat Concepts seat, Cycleracks rear rack w/pannier brackets, Clarke XT350 Translucent fuel tank, 90` fuel filter, Cycra Probend handguards, DMO footpegs, Kick Starter, Shortened Tail Lights, Ricochet Skid Plate, High Fender Mod, Shinko 241 Trials front Tire, Stock Rear Tire, Upgraded chain, Procycle rear bracket and LED brake light, Jet Kit, Powermadd 2" handlebar riser, seat bolt mod with cables, Versa Pack Tank & Pannier Bags, $1.00 Dairy Crate, NelsonRigg mini tank bag, 14/47

I have run a 26x8x14 Duro with the stock swing arm for a year w/o any issues in typical rocky sierra jeep trails. Only recently extended the swing arm due to reported fears of possibly jamming a rock between tire and swing arm. So I would say that extending the swing arm is certainly not mandatory. However I think I am enjoying the greater suspension travel and softer spring rate afforded by the 2" lengthened swing arm. I commented earlier that possibly a 12" trailer wheel conversion would allow use of smaller conflict-free ATV tires with stock swing arm, another benefit of TW-Brians inventiveness.
    TW-Brian and TWilight like this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links