Mule Nuts? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Mule Nuts?

+1 that is a great solution.

Even if the threads rust solid it won't matter. That happened to the wrecked seat I bought to make the hybrid XT350 front tank portion. I managed to work the rusted snapped seat bolt out somehow.
    Tweaker likes this.
    '05 TW200 + Emgo handguards, RK O-ring chain, Cycleracks rear rack, John (Mule's) seat bolts, hybrid TW/XT350 seat, Clarke XT350 natural tank, 2inch bar raisers, Jimbo's cafe shield, Utah Sport Cycle's Ricochet Engine Bash Plate, Full synthetic oil for cooler operating, Updated Yamaha pleated oil filter. Soon to add - Acerbis supermoto higher front fender Not sure I'll fit at all - Northern star hurricane oil cooler with Spal fan, John (Mule's) oil cooler filter cover, Wiseco high compression piston.

Hidden Content The TW200 Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I smell a missing link award for you cat

Not for me! But maybe for either of the two guys who posted their solutions above!
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

This is great. The previous owner of my TW just put the bolts into the seat but not through the bracket. I don't really get any wiggle though when I'm on it. Hitch pin idea is great though.
    Some things shouldn't be left like you found them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Here's my solution to the problem of having to have tools to take off the seat - Perhaps since they use wingnuts as a primary component, I'll call these "WingDings."

You can see they use a metric bolt, a wingnut, a locknut, and a short nylon sleeve. I ground the nylon sleeve down from it's original length on a bench grinder. I think were I to re-make these I'd get a little longer bolt and make the sleeve a bit longer too to be sure the wingnut was well out of the way of the seat bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by JS5owner View Post
    Here is my solution - a hitch pin, aptly named: Mule hitch pin! [grin]

Okay, so I confirmed tonight at the local hardware store that this pin is in the metric section:

M6 x 40 (or longer if you like), 1.00 pitch.

I ended up building two for myself at a grand total of $2. Thanks JS5owner!

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Okay, so I confirmed tonight at the local hardware store that this pin is in the metric section:

I like this solution even better than mine, but am wondering how you get the hole in the pin? (Is this a bolt with the head cut off??) Bolts are typically pretty hard metal and drilling the hole seems not very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    I like this solution even better than mine, but am wondering how you get the hole in the pin? (Is this a bolt with the head cut off??) Bolts are typically pretty hard metal and drilling the hole seems not very easy.

The pin is made just like that with the hole in it. It's usually used to connect a hitch to a vehicle or any tow behind equipment. Very handy in all sorts of situations.
    Some things shouldn't be left like you found them.

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    The pin is made just like that with the hole in it. It's usually used to connect a hitch to a vehicle or any tow behind equipment. Very handy in all sorts of situations.

I wish! I doubt you'll find such a small pin (M6) as a hitch pin.

The bolt is small so you'll have to drill it yourself. I cut the head off the bolt and then put it in a vise. Using something sharp and hard like a nail, I'll get an indentation going in the bolt. Then you just drill a straight hole through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    Here's my solution to the problem of having to have tools to take off the seat - Perhaps since they use wingnuts as a primary component, I'll call these "WingDings."

You can see they use a metric bolt, a wingnut, a locknut, and a short nylon sleeve. I ground the nylon sleeve down from it's original length on a bench grinder. I think were I to re-make these I'd get a little longer bolt and make the sleeve a bit longer too to be sure the wingnut was well out of the way of the seat bracket.

Nice. I'll be doing this mod this afternoon.

I saw a Suzuki rider using hitch pins to secure his seat launch his seat off a cliff. If you ride in a lot of thick brush that could be an issue. Probably not more than a 1:1,000,000 chance of losing both pins at the same time, though.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post

You are welcome catamount! What I like about this board is the collective knowledge that is shared. I've learned so much from all my fellow T-dubers! I do wish this new board kept the "stats" of the old board. I.e. how many posts, etc. etc. but I'm totally grateful for Chopper Charles for "herding the cats" here.
    2007 TW "Muley": Cyclerack rear, 55 tooth rear sprocket, Duro Power Grip & Shinko SR241, Clarke tank, Ricochet bash plate, Mule hitch pin quick seat removal, Trail Tech Vapor w/ Dashboard, hardwired Garmin 60csx & 205w, 12vdc adaptor, independent high beam off/on and signal beeper, modified seat.

2000 Yamaha V-star 650 Custom - [sold]

2009 Yamaha WR250R - "Willie Boy" the slimmer faster brother of my Muley.

2009 Hidden Content . Wow, what fun on the highway!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links