The Famous Storage Tube - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: The Famous Storage Tube

I'm guessing that "Goof Off" and "Goo Gone" are different? I've used "Goo Gone" and it is more of an oily, citrus-smelling stuff. Would it work? If not, where does one find "Goof Off?"

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    I'm guessing that "Goof Off" and "Goo Gone" are different? I've used "Goo Gone" and it is more of an oily, citrus-smelling stuff. Would it work? If not, where does one find "Goof Off?"
    I know WallyWorld doesn't carry "Goof Off" but give Lowes or Home Depot a try. As I remember it's a little more expensive than "Goo Gone". I've got them both and seem to use the "Goof Off" first.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

Here's my setup... mounting via zipties front and rear (6 in total). I did install a hose clamp on the frame at the front of thet canister to give it something to snug-up agains and keep it from migrating towards the tire...

I used a blend of mineral spirits and butyl acetate (from my parts-cleaner tank) to take off the yellow print - worked great.

~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If it smells like tolulene, and removes stuff like tolulene, then yes it is carcinogenic as hell. Sniff it carefully and as infrequently as possible. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Central New MexicoHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    If it smells like tolulene, and removes stuff like tolulene, then yes it is carcinogenic as hell. Sniff it carefully and as infrequently as possible. Tom

I'm a paint chemist and formulate with Toluene from time to time... while it is a fairly nasty solvent, it's not classified as carcinogenic.

"The International Agency for Research on Cancer has placed toluene in Group 3: Not classifiable as a carcinogen (IARC, 1989b). "

see: http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-pr...l/toluene.html

However, it has been shown to have a developmental / reproductive toxicity.

see: http://www.epa.gov/chemfact/s_toluen.txt

So yeah, be careful with the stuff...
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

Quote Originally Posted by darnold87 View Post
    I'm a paint chemist and formulate with Toluene from time to time... while it is a fairly nasty solvent, it's not classified as carcinogenic.

"The International Agency for Research on Cancer has placed toluene in Group 3: Not classifiable as a carcinogen (IARC, 1989b). "

see: http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-pr...l/toluene.html

However, it has been shown to have a developmental / reproductive toxicity.

see: http://www.epa.gov/chemfact/s_toluen.txt

So yeah, be careful with the stuff...

Whoops, Poor choice of words on my part. I knew it was bad. I used to live in New Orleans and I seem to recall we had more sources of toluene and xylene contamination than anywhere else in the country and it was bad "forya". In grad school I had to use the stuff in histology and other lab processes (sort of nice smelling, but not to be fooled with). Thanks for the clarification. BTW I don't have any kids but no connection with toluene. Tom

Edit: I don't want to turn this into a chemical pxxxing match, but I stumbled on the following cautionary note:

"While only limited evidence of benzene carcinogenicity in experimental animals exists, the recent findings of the National Toxicology Program (NTP, 1984) in the U.S.A. and Maltoni et al. (1985) strongly indicate that benzene is an experimental carcinogen. Toluene and xylene. While no direct human evidence is available, there is recent evidence of carcinogenicity of toluene and xylene at high concentrations in experimental animals. It should also be noted that any future epidemiological observations of cancer risks associated with toluene or xylene would have to take account of the suspected effects of benzene impurities." . . . Here is the link if you want to read the entire abstract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3053447 -- Lets just say all of these dudes are potentially nasty. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Central New MexicoHidden Content

great thread! I really like the symmetry of the tube and the exhaust pipe.
    Hidden Content : KLR pegs, 47t sprocket, cyclerack, Bridgestone 203/204, D.I.D. o-ring chain, Jimbo shield

Hidden Content : gone to a new home. it was my first...had it for 14 years. miss it sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Home depot carries something very similar in their welding section. Little more money - 9.97 at mine. Used to hold welding rods

I looked at my local Home Depot and they had the welding rod carrier for $9.95. Only problem was that it was bright red. My '93 TW is gaudy enough thanks to Yamaha's idea of flashy "design" during that era without adding two bright red canisters to it. I opted to order the black ones from AgriSupply.

I used a p-clamp up front and a zip-tie out back. that's a blue Shorty's Doh-Doh skate truck bushing as a spacer so the fuel bottle clears the turn signal stalk. I used Goo-Gone and elbow grease to remove the yellow graphics. A little ArmorAll afterward shined it up nicely.
    Hidden Content : KLR pegs, 47t sprocket, cyclerack, Bridgestone 203/204, D.I.D. o-ring chain, Jimbo shield

Hidden Content : gone to a new home. it was my first...had it for 14 years. miss it sometimes.

I opted for the top of the rack install, because I wanted two tubes. Your method works great on the left side of the bike, but on the right side the plastic and muffler get in the way.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links