Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: New - Simple - Sturdy - TW200 - Swingarm - Extension

Looks good to me!

PlacerLode and JerseyJeeper like this.
    site:tw200forum.com

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Looks good to me!

Thanks, if it feels solid once it's mounted up, I may try to blend the lines a little with a file. Just to keep it from standing out so much. Also had a new idea I'd like some opinions on. Instead of a welded nub for the snail to adjust against, what if the nub was incorporated into the washer on the outside of the swingarm? Just a thought I had. Also since this is supposed to be an easy on/easy off, would it be counterproductive to tack weld the bolts to keep them from loosening up or would loctite be enough? There will be 2 bolts both with about .95 depth thread. Anyone's thoughts or ideas are welcome if you see something I don't. Or something that could be done better. Thanks
    admiral and jtomelliott49 like this.

"Instead of a welded nub for the snail to adjust against, what if the nub was incorporated into the washer on the outside of the swingarm?"

Sorry, but I am not sure that I understand this idea.

"Also since this is supposed to be an easy on/easy off, would it be counterproductive to tack weld the bolts to keep them from loosening up or would loctite be enough? There will be 2 bolts both with about .95 depth thread."

I was thinking that the bolt heads would be on the outside of the swingarm and would thread into tapped holes in the extension piece. What do you think of this approach?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    "Instead of a welded nub for the snail to adjust against, what if the nub was incorporated into the washer on the outside of the swingarm?"

Sorry, but I am not sure that I understand this idea.

"Also since this is supposed to be an easy on/easy off, would it be counterproductive to tack weld the bolts to keep them from loosening up or would loctite be enough? There will be 2 bolts both with about .95 depth thread."

I was thinking that the bolt heads would be on the outside of the swingarm and would thread into tapped holes in the extension piece. What do you think of this approach?
    The bolt heads will be on the outside. They will go through an oblong washer (approx 2"x4") with 2 holes in it, through the swingarm/axle slot, and thread into the extension side by side. Since the washer won't be able to spin because of the two bolts, I was thinking a small tack weld between the head of each bolt, and the washer would keep them from backing out.

After thinking about the snail nub, I may just be trying to reinvent the wheel. But just for the sake of trying g to clear it up.... Since the washer on the outside of the swingarm would be on the same plane as the original snail nub, my thought was that it might be easier to just leave a bump on the back of the washer than to drill/press/weld the nub. I may try it just for the sake of trying, but it will easily changed if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawner View Post
    Thanks, if it feels solid once it's mounted up, I may try to blend the lines a little with a file. Just to keep it from standing out so much. Also had a new idea I'd like some opinions on. Instead of a welded nub for the snail to adjust against, what if the nub was incorporated into the washer on the outside of the swingarm? Just a thought I had. Also since this is supposed to be an easy on/easy off, would it be counterproductive to tack weld the bolts to keep them from loosening up or would loctite be enough? There will be 2 bolts both with about .95 depth thread. Anyone's thoughts or ideas are welcome if you see something I don't. Or something that could be done better. Thanks

Wow, what you've done here is really cool and the fact you have the tools and accomplished it is amazing work.

I have a larger ATV tire mounted and since I have not extended the swingarm, something like this looks simple and viable. With front swingarm clearance an issue, I have to really ensure my chain (new or used) will allow clearance and adjustability. Something one doesn't have to worry too much about unless changing the size of their sprockets or use their chains to the max.

Great Work!

I now understand your idea of using a bump on an oblong washer to replace the post for the snail adjuster. That would work, but would require the fabrication of somewhat complex washer.

If the bolt heads were tack welded to the washer or just a tack weld on the washer to keep them from rotating, how would they be threaded in and out?

IMG_20170308_130622132.jpg so here we are at our first speed bump. Gotta find a 17mm bolt and tap to (ithink) get as close as possible to the stock axle diameter to hold the unit to the swingarm. The tack weld would need to be ground off in order to remove the bolts and take the setup off. Is there a better option? Perhaps loctite would be adequate I just don't have much experience with it.
    Beeline likes this.

Senior Member old w/2 many guns & bikes's Avatar
    I apologize in that I don't know anything in the mechanical application area - but; if I understand what you are talking about:

Could you drill and tap your two holes from the outside of the bar stock (correct term?) - and then counter-sink two larger holes from the wheel side of the bar stock that would allow a socket head with a nut and lock-washer (or whatever) to fit inside and onto the bolts?

sorry if that is stupid - now back to your regularly scheduled tech talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawner View Post
    IMG_20170308_130622132.jpg so here we are at our first speed bump. Gotta find a 17mm bolt and tap to (ithink) get as close as possible to the stock axle diameter to hold the unit to the swingarm. The tack weld would need to be ground off in order to remove the bolts and take the setup off. Is there a better option? Perhaps loctite would be adequate I just don't have much experience with it.
    Spawner, you have made huge progress on these extensions! ! ! ! ! !

I think that there are a couple of acceptable options on mounting the extensions to the stock swingarm.

1) Use 17mm bolts to closely approximate the axle. I don't know if these are readily available in the length that you would need.

2) Any other large diameter bolt that is readily available and will come close to the axle diameter.

3) Any other large diameter bolt that is readily available, with a through hole through the extension and secured with a nylock locknut.

It looks like the extensions will fit pretty snugly into the channel of the stock swingarm. This will minimize the amount of possible movement. With the two large diameter bolts securing each side, this would seem to me to be plenty secure for the whopping 12-13 horsepower of the TW. I think properly torqued bolts plus threadlocker/lockwashers/locknuts would give me plenty of confidence. I don't think the tack welds would be necessary (at least for the type of riding that I do).

Brian

Last edited by TW-Brian; 03-08-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added picture
    Beeline and JerseyJeeper like this.

After a little thought I see only two options. Best case is a 17mm bolt, threaded into the part. Alternatively, I could use a smaller bolt, maybe 1/2 or 5/8" , and use a spacer around it with a 17mm outside diameter. If the bolt was to be bigger than 17mm, I would need to drill the swingarm out. Something I would rather avoid. Gotta take some more measurements. Thank you all for brainstorming with me, and keeping me motivated. It's been a fun project. Oh btw, it's my first time working with steel on the mill so it's been a learning experience to say the least.
    Last edited by Spawner; 03-08-2017 at 01:32 PM.
    TrailWaysAW and joeband like this.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links