New - Simple - Sturdy - TW200 - Swingarm - Extension
Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: New - Simple - Sturdy - TW200 - Swingarm - Extension

New - Simple - Sturdy - TW200 - Swingarm - Extension

Heres a technique a BW owner used to extend his swingarm it's simple, sturdy and does not require the cut, extend and splice technique we have been using

Some 3/8" steel plate aprx 4 to 5" long would be plenty to extend a TW arm 3 inches

with this method you could actually weld the part on w/o even removing the swingarm

Once we make a pattern we could have a stack flame or water cut for cheap and we'd have a lifetime supply

the BW brackets pictured are fairly long the TW would not need to be anywhere near this long for 1 to 3" extensions

In theory a longer axle slot would allow us to Adjust our extension from 1 to 3" with a turn of a wrench

These weld on tab / extensions could also hold all the mounts for an XT250 rear disc conversion

Maybe I'm crazy but I think this could work
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 11-06-2016 at 01:38 AM.
    lbxr, bad luck, joeband and 13 others like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

outside the box!

(but trust your welder)
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

My welder really sucks, he looks back at me every time I look in a mirror!

That's why I have a friend (expert welder) help me out!
    You can't see it if you're not out there living it!

'94 Rainbow Warrior - not so rainbow any more - Clarke XT350 tank, Lizrdbrth's seat mod, Beer Trap Pegs, Ricochet skid plate and more.

Going through withdrawals, sold my other two TW's, down to one....Uhggghhh! Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That is a good idea, but I have been kicking around another approach that is even "less invasive". There are lots of bolt-on swing arm extensions available for dirt bikes and street bikes. The problem may finding a design that would provide for the modest 1-3" that most of us would be looking for.

Century Machine USA :: Monson, MA :: Custom Machined Parts :: Featuring Swing Arm Extensions, Billet Covers, and Wakeboard & Water Ski Booms / Pylons

Roaring Toyz* Single Sided Wide Tire Conversion Kits

site:tw200forum.com

I would buy and install any of those options happy that get away from the TW's cam snails for chain adjustment. I miss the screw adjustments on my older enduro bikes.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

again as someone goes to milk the cow.... tw-brian comes back in with the cheese.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Interesting idea for sure but the final product looks a bit clunky and with this design the minimum extension would be 3 to 4" total range maybe 3 or 4 to 6" not that it couldn't be redesigned with the adjuster in back to allow for a shorter extension. CONS price to produce yet another $200 to $300 CNC TW accessory

The steel weld on might be $5 in mild steel and maybe $10 in pattern cutting given a decent quantity of say 50 sets

With the steel we can build for any type of adjuster easily getting away from the cam if desired (I don't mind the cam)
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Hidden Content

Heres what the final steel design would resemble these are the factory XT225 swingarm ends

note the ease of welding both sides this is a very strong design and again we could choose any style of chain adjuster we desired

For a 1"extension we would actually cut away most of the existing axle slot on the OEM arm before we added this weld on tab
    SAM_7252.JPGSAM_7253.JPGSAM_7254.JPGSAM_7255.JPG

Hidden Content

A bolt-on version made just for the TW would not need to be clunky. Here is what I mocked up from a scrap piece of wood to illustrate what I had in mind to allow a 1.5-3" extension.
    (Of course, you would not want to use wood , and you would also want to mill out the axle slots that I have just drawn on. You would also want to blend it in to match up with the profile of the stock swingarm, in addition to adding features for the snail adjusters and the tongue for the brake plate. This mockup was just to illustrate the concept.)

This approach would not require any modifications to your stock swingarm and could be easily reversed, say to switch back and forth between a stock and an ATV tire.

IMG_2108-1.jpg

IMG_2109-2.jpg

Is there anybody out there with a mill interested in taking this concept to the next step and building a working prototype?
    site:tw200forum.com

Nice idea but I think a 2.5" to 3" extension would be the minimum with this design I'm looking for 1.5" in most cases but never more than 2" and as little as 1"
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links