Progression of Daryl, the Ultimate Survival bike
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Progression of Daryl, the Ultimate Survival bike

Progression of Daryl, the Ultimate Survival bike

Well hello y'all. Figured I'd start a new thread for this bike, cause I didn't like the title of the last thread. If you want to see the beginning and learn the backstory, here it is: Figured it was about time to show my TW

So, explanations: I didn't like the big ATV tires I had on it, they just robbed way too much power and I'm really never in a situation to need them. Also, 18" tires are MUCH more readily available, and having the same size front and back is ideal for a survival situation. If something goes wrong with the ATV tires, replacing them is far too difficult and hard to find, so the 18" wheels and tires make much more sense in an apocalyptic environment. The gas tank holds just over 3 gallons of fuel before it hits reserve, so that is really nice. The ammo can is a small one, only meant for a handful of tools and what-not. To be more sleek, it is partially tucked up underneath the rack, and on sliders to pull it out and open it. So far, it sliding out on it's own has not been an issue, as the sliders have built in stops. But, if it becomes an issue once I have a bit more power or if it is loaded up with weight causing it to slide back when I accelerate, I'll create a latching system of some sort.

So far, I'm loving the 18" wheels and tires. There is a lot less weight with them and the bike feels better all the way around. I am however having a problem with power. This is my second TW and I haven't spent any time on the motor at all. There is definitely a problem though. It runs excellent, until 5th gear. It doesn't have enough power to pull it. While I am not expecting it to be full of zesto, my last TW had no problem pulling 5th at all. I know that I have some work to do to the brakes, as sometimes they can stick a little bit, but I feel there is something else wrong.

I'm thinking that maybe there is an oiling issue and one of the bearings in the transmission isn't getting lubed properly because when I hit 5th, it losses all it's guts, and it seems to get worse the longer I ride it. Also, it seems kind of like it is hitting a rev limiter or something because it can have a bit of a reoccurring hesitation when wound out. I know this could be multiple things, but I don't think it is over-revving. Like I said, I've owned a TW before, and that thing never surged like this. To complicate things further, It hardly does it at all in 4th gear, even when revving really high, it does it some, but not nearly as much as it does in 5th.

I'm sure it is in the carb, as I have not re-jetted at all, and it has much more flow than stock. That will be what I go for first. I'll do a plug read when I get home today. I'm running a 49 tooth rear sprocket, and this seems to be good gearing for my uses.

I also have a TTR225 that I picked up about a year ago. Ultimately, I'll probably go for the 250cc, six speed setup, complete with cam, porting, carb, and exhaust. So, the small problems it is having right now are just something to tinker with while I start on the TTR motor as the future powerplant. But, I am the type of guy that keeps several pots on the fire, so it could be a while before I get to the 225 motor, so I should spend a little time on the current setup to get it to sing right.

IMG_1672.JPGIMG_1673.JPGIMG_1674.JPGIMG_1675.JPGIMG_1672.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like that sliding ammo box, don't know why, just like the idea.

Cool looking bike. Your gearing isn't the problem. Since you have removed the airbox the jetting is now off. It's probably too lean. Try larger main jets. What year is your bike as there are 2 carbs and the jet sizes are different. And then you can lift the needle too for flat spots after getting the main jet right. Read Lizardbrth's tech tip sticky carb tuning.

Paper Clip in my '93 Carb..??
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, weld on foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A 49 tooth rear sprocket driving a 18 inch rim & tire seems "geared to the moon" due to greater diameter of that tall rear tire on an 18" rim. What size front sprocket is installed?
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tuna View Post
    I thought the same thing but man that got my head spinning on ideas. I like it
    Smitty Blackstone and Boedy like this.
    Rick

I have an old rear tire laying around, but it would need to be mounted before I could get an accurate measurement. Can someone measure the height of their stock rear tire setup? That way I can see how much taller the rear wheel is. My guess is not much, and lots lighter. I think it should be pulling it without problems. Eager to get home and see what the plug looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tweaker, it's a '94, and there is no doubt that it needs the carb sorted, and hopefully that's all. The front sprocket is stock, so 14 tooth, at least, I'm assuming. The old rear sprocket was heavily worn and 50 tooth, so common sense tells me it never had the gearing changed. When the road gives me a little advantage (downhill), I've gotten it up to 55mph, and the engine revs sound right. That being, it's buzzing quite a bit, it doesn't seem like it's geared high. The rear tire is 26 1/2" tall. Anyone got a stock measurement?
    Alas, it is probably just the carb and it has enough power to pull 4th, but as soon as fifth comes in, the little engine just can't do it because it's probably loosing a couple horsepower due to tuning. I'll get it sorted. But in the meantime, These little bikes are sooo much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by tuna View Post
    Obviously, it slides out and doubles as a rifle rest / bench rest for shooting.
    Boedy, TopPredator, Fred and 1 others like this.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Quote Originally Posted by Boedy View Post
    Tweaker, it's a '94, and there is no doubt that it needs the carb sorted, and hopefully that's all. The front sprocket is stock, so 14 tooth, at least, I'm assuming. The old rear sprocket was heavily worn and 50 tooth, so common sense tells me it never had the gearing changed. When the road gives me a little advantage (downhill), I've gotten it up to 55mph, and the engine revs sound right. That being, it's buzzing quite a bit, it doesn't seem like it's geared high. The rear tire is 26 1/2" tall. Anyone got a stock measurement?
    Alas, it is probably just the carb and it has enough power to pull 4th, but as soon as fifth comes in, the little engine just can't do it because it's probably loosing a couple horsepower due to tuning. I'll get it sorted. But in the meantime, These little bikes are sooo much fun!
    In the Gearing Commander when loaded with stock TW200 info, they have the tire circumference as 79.6. If you divide this by 3.14 you get 25.35. This sounds like it would be around the right height but I'm no mathologist.

Question fer ya, can you take a photo of directly behind the rear tire facing forward please? Something like this. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    admiral and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links