Front tire choices - Page 28
Close

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: Front tire choices

Reflex was a great little machine, an early unique take on the concept of "Dual Purpose" adding street legality to a trials platform. I had heard they were essentially remanufactured from a poor selling trials bike line and once inventory was gone no new production occurred. Some of the street add-ons like the battery box were a little flimsy and not up to Honda's usually very high standards. Fun capable lightweight machine but that steep fork rake could be scary at speed. 35 miles at once was the longest ride my butt could take....North Fork of the Salmon up to Yellow Jacket Lake and the Big Horn Crags. Rode the Rubicon Trail once on a KDX 175 with my buddies on an IT 175 and a TLR200 Reflex. The Reflex far and away was the best bike for the Rubicon's technical rock gardens.
    honda_TLR200.jpg
    Maybe the MT-21 DOTfront tire , as well as the rear version are good candidates. I just didn't like the feel after only a two hour ride through Moab's Fins and Things as well as a romp up into the snowy LaSals. Maybe I did not give a fair test as was used to my trials tires. Certainly the vast majority of motocross bikes I encountered on Moab's trails had swapped motocross tires for trials tires front and rear.
    MT-21 Motocross tires: pirelli-mt-21-motorcycle-tire.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 02-07-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Not to hijack the thread, but Yep, Fred I think the Reflex might have weighed around 200 lbs. I was going to try to monkey with a more-comfy seat for longer rides (meaning more than 15 mi round trip!) but figured that for my bump tolerance the suspension would still have been problematic. But trail obstacles were "no obstacle". It was more the "ride quality" and that perhaps kept the model from going continued mainstream. You got to hand it to Honda and Yamaha for trying new things and for keeping with things that work (like the TW200!).
    Last edited by TWgeezers; 02-07-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    Tweaker likes this.

There's a Reflex for sale in Reno Craigslist Motorcycles now for $3000. Party was asking $2700 and it didn't sell so he raised the price. :roll eyes: Looks in good condition.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I had similar results with the MT21 on my XT350, but was able to use them front and rear. They were amazingly good on asphalt (with such a light bike and relatively little power) and versatile amd tough off highway. The deciding factor for me when I first switched- I like the way the MT21 looked on the TW😎 Another nice outcome of the experimant, the front MT21 shows virtually no wear after 2k miles in the front, so it goes on the rear of the KDX, I swap in the less expensive 241 on the TW and get a whole new farkle to experience!
    littletommy and Tweaker like this.
    2002 TW200
    1998 DR350
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

The Brazil-made Yamaha RT180 air-cooled 2-stroke came stock with DOT MT-21s front and rear! I think bike was commonly used on streets/roads in at least Brazil and Philippines for example. It came with a plug in the front wheels speedometer fitting, so I custom-mounted a new speedometer for the XT225! Plug and play! When it was still fairly easy to do in Calif, I got the RT180 license-plated there. It was fantastic for us as an off-road-biased dual sport, weighing what, maybe 210-230 lbs., and having separate 2-stroke oil tank for ez, no-manual-mixing re-fueling, no radiators to crunch, no power valves to maintain!
    Last edited by TWgeezers; 02-08-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Just put the shinko 241 on the front on my 2016. Liking the feel. Didn't need to Ballance it. Anxiously waiting to hit the trail tomorrow.

Shinko 241
    Attached Images Attached Images
    littletommy, Tweaker and admiral like this.

Is that an aftermarket horn or did you or the factory put a plastic protective cage around it? All mine have just been the metal horn. Just looked different and was wondering.

I've had a few rides on and off-road with my SR241 now. On pavement I haven't noticed any problems. Off-road I haven't noticed anything bad. It pushed a little at first in some softer stuff but playing with psi's I got it where I liked. I'm not going to say the 241 is the most amazing front tire, ever, but it's doing just fine. Upcoming Moab and sand riding will be a pretty good gauge on how good I like it for my intended uses.

Good luck and have fun.

Yes it's aftermarket it's a sickspeed horn. Loud as a car and comes in Colors. I put 60 miles on the 241 today everything from gravel roads to deep mud to the road and grass. I can't complain. They are much better on the road, quieter also. Gravel is better as well. Sure footed in the grass. Slipped a little in shallow mud on compact ground but the Bridgestone would come out from under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogslife305 View Post
    Yes it's aftermarket it's a sickspeed horn. Loud as a car and comes in Colors. I put 60 miles on the 241 today everything from gravel roads to deep mud to the road and grass. I can't complain. They are much better on the road, quieter also. Gravel is better as well. Sure footed in the grass. Slipped a little in shallow mud on compact ground but the Bridgestone would come out from under me.
    I agree it's an amazing tire and I wouldn't run anything else
    littletommy likes this.
    Hello New Members. Hidden Content Please update in (Settings) (Edit Profile) (Location)where you are from. The best part of our Forum is meeting new members.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.

Rick

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Sponosred Links