Front tire choices - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: Front tire choices

Added Bridgestone TW302 which sounds like a pretty good tire! Also the stock tire on WR250R.
    2005 TW200, 2" PowerMadd bar riser, Tusk D-Flex Hand Guards, PowerMadd Hand Muffs, Kick-Start, Valco Cup Holder, Givi E45N Top Case, Inline fuel filter, Storage Tube with MSR bottle, 45 Tooth sprocket, Stebel Low Tone horn, #130 Main Jet / no needle shims / 1.5 turns out on idle, Jimbo Shield, DID O-Ring chain, Clarke XT250 4.1 Gal tank, Custom Cycleracks

Nice thread with great tire info!

I run the K270, in the 5.10 size. I really like it... no complaints. Does well in snow, sand, dirt, and mud, as well as pavement and gravel. But seeing the weight comparison, I can see why people would go with the lighter version. Honestly though, I can't imagine a tire being 5 lbs heavier than another of the same brand and tread design, just an inch wider and taller...

Specs: (copied from above)

4.50-18, 26.90", 15.28lbs

4.60-18, 25.65", 11.60lbs

5.10-18, 26.90", 15.08lbs

120/80-18, 25.88", 10.39lbs

Looking at these, it seems a little off. Who knows...? The lightweight versions must be thinner rubber and have small nobbies... I'd like to get the weight of a stock TW front tire. Mine felt light and weak. I could collapse the tire (vertically) with ease... whereas the K270 was firm and not collapsable. I liked that and see it as an upgrade.

~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

One of the reasons I started weighing stuff. Manufacturer's specs are often nowhere near actual. Sidewalls are heavy and just going to a 90 series from an 80 series can add 5 pounds (or none), Nylon vs. steel, radial v. bias, number of plies v. ply eqivalents, yada, yada, etc. all are factors.

A stock Trailwing knobby weighs around 8 lbs. 12 oz. (actual).

I have a well-worn 5.10x18 K270 which only weighs 12 lbs. 13 oz. It's worn, but I doubt it started life at over 15 lbs. as the table would indicate.

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...h__1#entry1243
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Where the manufacturer supplied weights, I added (e.g. Kenda)

Some I got off Amazon's shipping weight.

But yeah, weights might not be 100% accurate!
    2005 TW200, 2" PowerMadd bar riser, Tusk D-Flex Hand Guards, PowerMadd Hand Muffs, Kick-Start, Valco Cup Holder, Givi E45N Top Case, Inline fuel filter, Storage Tube with MSR bottle, 45 Tooth sprocket, Stebel Low Tone horn, #130 Main Jet / no needle shims / 1.5 turns out on idle, Jimbo Shield, DID O-Ring chain, Clarke XT250 4.1 Gal tank, Custom Cycleracks

That was NOT a criticism. Excellent thread.

Just a headsup that the weights may not be that reliable.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    That was NOT a criticism. Excellent thread.

Just a headsup that the weights may not be that reliable.

No offence taken!

Even diameters can vary greatly. Two different manufacturers' 120/80-18 tires can be nearly an inch different.

saw this one at MC super store

Cheng Shin C913 Dual Sport Front Tire

any thoughts on it?
    Hidden Content

2007 T'dub

Cyclerack/Dual Northern Tool Boxes/AVG Miglia Helmet/Infamous Tubes/Fanny Pack/ATV Tank bag

That is a direct copy of the stock TW tire. I assume it would have the same "faults" of the stock tire, but cost $10 less...

I have not found anyone in the forums running that tire - nor do any of the retailers have reviews!

I will add that many scooter folks like Cheng Shin tires. Believe it or not, scooters wear the rear tire very quickly (smaller tire means more revolutions per mile plus all the weight is on the rear tire). So you may get more miles out of the Cheng Shin than the stock Bridgestone.

[

I mostly ride dirt single track trails. My front stock tire just has limited side grip and has washed out a couple of times. After researching on this forum, I decided to go with a 110/100-18 Kenda. It came in today and I had it installed. It looks awesome with very similar to stock dimensions.

Thanks for all the information all you forum kids.

Happy Trails All.

Ron in Boise
    SEADUB200 likes this.

I decided to get the TW302 in 4.60-18.

Tire works well on my city commute over wet streetcar tracks and manhole covers. Also tried at 100km/hr and seemed stable.

Some observations:

The tire is about 3/4" shorter than stock

And 3/4" narrower than stock

But it looks awesome!

Also, the lean angle is fairly decent, with two sets of tread blocks still in contact with the ground when almost scraping peg:

When actually scraping peg you only have one tread block in contact.

So far I am very happy with the tire (although being my first attempt, it took me 2.5 hours to mount!).

The only concern I have it the height - wish it were closer to stock or a little taller...

Also it is definitely heavier than stock. I didn't weigh it, but power wheelies in second gear are much more difficult!

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links