TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

First mod? What to do?

9K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  littletommy 
#1 ·
Hey all, New guy here and a proud owner of one day old 2015 TW200. 600 miles. Looks as new and as I will be moving from the bay area in CA to Mohave Valley AZ I am looking to see what the first must do modification I should be looking to do to my new family member. Has a rear rack, KN air filter rear sprocket changed for higher speeds. Since I am new to the world of TW what do you all think about my to do list?
Thanks. I look forward to responses and going through the past forum post.

#29 ·
Thanks, love the links. Whats a Jimbo Sheild? Link has the order info. Working on learning how to navigate this site. The O ring chain, is that the link to the proper size? More info on the liz cooler. Seems the link was the bracket? Back to the link to review.
Much appreciated all. Like you say, ride ride ride!

#32 ·
#39 ·
If you enlarge the picture and ignore the centerpiece - both t-dubs in the photo are sporting Jimbo Shields (small windscreens) above their headlight cowlings. Made by a member of this forum.

View attachment 86777
Oh WOW. How in the world can you ignore that centerpiece (that's the kind of bike that will eventually replace my Nomad).

#36 ·
Reactions: littletommy
#41 ·
Lynlee, the aftermarket Ricochet skid plate is a very popular add-on for under a hundred bucks. Folks love to condemn the stock unit as made from a cheap cat food can.
I don’t. I think the stock unit is a well engineered energy absorbing design.
With a bit of a reputation for habitual rough & rocky rides I beat my stock unit up considerably for ten years before getting a forum member’s surplus Ricochet. Stock unit protected my engine and cases just fine, was quieter and about four pounds lighter than the aftermarket skid plate.
While Ricochet is indeed a bit wider and thus affords a bit more side case protection I do not recall any instance of a forum member reporting case or engine damage from impacts with a stock skid plate installed on their TW.
I have the minority opinion on this respect for the stock unit. However for vindication I urge you or anyone else to do a side-by-side comparison of TWs both with & w/o a Ricochet. Sit on each bike and have someone deliver identical blows to the skidplate with booted foot, 2x4, baseball bat, whatever. The rubber isolation mounts and flexure of the stock unit will result in reduced perceived seat-of-the pants impact to you hands, seat and feet. I imagine a TW enduring sustained skid plate impacts with a stock skid plate will suffer fewer broken light bulb filaments, frame welds and loosened fillings for the rider.
So get one if you like, but given your stated anticipated riding style you might find the stock unit sufficient.

For a first mod I would focus more on ergonomics and rider comfort like Seat Concepts kit, wider foot pegs and even if you are not tall some handlebar risers. If advice were for a new rider I would also recommend more bike protection like hand guards but Lynnlee sounds like a die-hard biker who knows what she’s doing.

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.