Another Removable Swingarm Extension Concept - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Another Removable Swingarm Extension Concept

Hopefully Out Riding Somewhere In The Sierras
    My apologies.
    Yes, I can see now how the shear stress is rather well contained by the design of the backing plates.
    I just took a quick look, imagined the loading and did not consider the interplay of all the depicted parts.
    Having worked for awhile in a materials testing lab where we would bend, crush and pull all sorts of things apart I tend to jump to conclusions on just how easy things can be made to fail. I guess that includes failed assumptions too.
    Nice design. So if you get the water jet would you cut me a set?
    JerseyJeeper and TW-Brian like this.
    Lights, Action, Traction....Let's Ride!
    2003 model year, jetted for mile high+ riding, Wiseco 68mm piston, Duro ATV rear tire, IRC GP-1 Trials front tire, XT-225 tank, Cyclerack, 2" handlebar risers, foot pegs, D-flex hand guards, right angle fuel filter, Seat Concepts kit over additional hi-density foam, fluorescent paint, Betty Boop stickers..and a lot of scratches!.

Thanks Fred. You're a smart guy. I was afraid (petrified) you found something I missed, but I would have been glad to be caught if it was a mistake. If anyone would see an issue it would be you and a few others here (not naming names, there are to many and I would not want to leave anyone out). This place is loaded with talent for sure.

I'm considering asking our engineer if he has CNC software for waterjet machines that he might let me use. The software i use does not seem to have the correct file export. It does 3D printing very well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    My apologies.
    Yes, I can see now how the shear stress is rather well contained by the design of the backing plates.
    I just took a quick look, imagined the loading and did not consider the interplay of all the depicted parts.
    Having worked for awhile in a materials testing lab where we would bend, crush and pull all sorts of things apart I tend to jump to conclusions on just how easy things can be made to fail. I guess that includes failed assumptions too.
    Nice design. So if you get the water jet would you cut me a set?
    TW-Brian likes this.

looks like it maybe kind of heavy, any ideas of what it might weigh?
    2014 tw
    2016 bolt
    1981 honda ct110
    1973 honda ct90

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If it works add me to the order list. I have been scrounging the internet far and wide for bolt on solution but of course there is none... at least from my google searching.
    Spawner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    looks like it maybe kind of heavy, any ideas of what it might weigh?
    No idea on total weight, you can use the table below. True, "un-sprung weight" is/can be an issue for suspension performance. At the speeds we travel, at least me i'm not sure it would matter. In our case, after adding a giant tire, trailer wheel etc the weight is up over stock.

I already figured a way to use a little less steel but I wasn't going to draw it again unless I had too.

Nominal Size Thickness (inches) Weight (lb/ft2)
    1/4 10.20
    5/16 12.75
    3/8 15.30
    7/16 17.85
    Last edited by JerseyJeeper; 03-15-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: I'm a BAddd spelller
    grewen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    That's a good mental exercise grewen. Why not take the approximate surface area off all the parts times the approximate thickness to get the approximate volume, then multiply by the steel's density to get a weight estimate?
    thanks Fred, that was helpful
    Spawner likes this.
    2014 tw
    2016 bolt
    1981 honda ct110
    1973 honda ct90

Both of the submitted designs look great and are very sturdy from what I can see but it looks like we are talking about more than a 2" extension here which to me anything over 2" is too much. The stock swingarm slot allows us to move the wheel back 1.5" (aprx) by using a slightly longer chain and possibly a slack tensioner (to compensate for the lack of chain adjustment with the wheel at the back of the axle slot) this will accommodate any ATV tire I would run, There is probably room to lengthen the stock axle slot by say 1/8" possibly a little more giving us close to 1.75" extension with only a longer chain.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie" - "TW-Palooza Moab 2017"

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PlacerLode View Post
    Both of the submitted designs look great and are very sturdy from what I can see but it looks like we are talking about more than a 2" extension here which to me anything over 2" is too much. The stock swingarm slot allows us to move the wheel back 1.5" (aprx) by using a slightly longer chain and possibly a slack tensioner (to compensate for the lack of chain adjustment with the wheel at the back of the axle slot) this will accommodate any ATV tire I would run, There is probably room to lengthen the stock axle slot by say 1/8" possibly a little more giving us close to 1.75" extension with only a longer chain.
    Fortunately, I caught my development team just as they were packing away their wooden blocks and colored markers. I issued them a final challenge - "The customer wants a shorter one!".

After long hours of brainstorming, and running endless computer simulations and finite element analyses, they came up with what I feel is an elegant solution that the marketing team has dubbed the SSRMTWSAE (Super Short Removable Minimalistic TW SwingArm Extender)! Kinda catchy, huh?

The following computer generated rendering illustrates the SSRMTWSAE superimposed (in Red) over the original design.

Swingarm Extension.jpg
    site:tw200forum.com

Awesome! I know a great patent lawyer!

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Fortunately, I caught my development team just as they were packing away their wooden blocks and colored markers. I issued them a final challenge - "The customer wants a shorter one!".

After long hours of brainstorming, and running endless computer simulations and finite element analyses, they came up with what I feel is an elegant solution that the marketing team has dubbed the SSRMTWSAE (Super Short Removable Minimalistic TW SwingArm Extender)! Kinda catchy, huh?

The following computer generated rendering illustrates the SSRMTWSAE superimposed (in Red) over the original design.

Swingarm Extension.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links